February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Good news... the 00Z ECMWF shows more snow through 4 a.m. than the 12Z run showed.   And the southerly wind is also shown to be weaker tomorrow... although still present.   Now only shows 37 at SEA tomorrow and Tuesday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Down to 24 with a N wind sustained at around 11mph just NE of Bellingham.  It's been snowing most of the evening but it's been a very fine powder, so I don't think we've added too much in the way of accumulation.   The intensity has picked up in the past half hour so hopefully we will start adding to the totals.

I pretty much decided Bellingham proper was going to be in the screw zone again, glad to see I am wrong!   :D

• Like 2

Getting absolutely nuked right now. It's really piling up nicely. The snow is getting that nice sparkly look to it.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Down to 24 with a N wind sustained at around 11mph just NE of Bellingham.  It's been snowing most of the evening but it's been a very fine powder, so I don't think we've added too much in the way of accumulation.   The intensity has picked up in the past half hour so hopefully we will start adding to the totals.

I pretty much decided Bellingham proper was going to be in the screw zone again, glad to see I am wrong!   :D

Looks like its 23 at my parents house... does not take much moisture to bring good snow at that temperature.     I have been watching it on the Barkley cams... snow is drifting around nicely.   Looks like a really dry snow.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like its 23 at my parents house... does not take much moisture to bring good snow at that temperature.     I have been watching it on the Barkley cams... snow is drifting around nicely.   Looks like a really dry snow.

Definitely a very dry fine powder.  I shoveled my front walk this afternoon (which is on the north face of my house), and of course it was wet from the sloppy snow we had this morning.  A good chunk of the sidewalk still does not have snow on it thanks to the wind, and is now dry.  I have a big wraparound covered porch, and it is starting to get some good drifts on it.

• Like 1

Looks like the front is gonna push east through the metro soon with the back edge visible on radar. Pretty much the entire PDX metro except the tops of the hills I think should get out of this with pretty much not even a dusting. I don't even think I saw actual snow, just 34 degree splats thanks to the warm nose.

Looks like everyone up north should be scoring though and the radar still looks good up there. We should all be able to agree that this has been at least a good winter after this event. Good to see some of the snow droughts up there finally put to rest. 

• Like 2

I think I might be.... I have never seen this much snow fall at my house in my life! I am overwhelmed!! I almost want to cry. It is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid lesson learned for all. Complain beyond belief and ye shall receive a big storm!

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

All kidding aside, glad to see the PS score. This winter is definitely In top tier category region wide now. Nearly every population center has received solid snow and cold.

• Like 2

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

I'd better start my bitching soon too. It will probably be a while before PDX gets anything like what we had last month. Almost makes me want to move to a higher elevation place to experience events like that more often.

Im actually thinking of moving to one of the Mt Hood villages like Welches or Rhododendron. Or better yet Government Camp. If I can find a good job on the east side of town it might be worth it.

• Like 1

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Up to about 3 inches here and still snowing. Not as good as a lot of places, but at least it's something.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty amazing how even 3 inches completely transforms everything. Snow is cool stuff!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Got about 1.5" on the cars here in Mountlake Terrace, but only about an inch in the grass. Pavement has about 3/4 of an inch.

Been some remarkably low ratio snow with the temperature bouncing between 32 and 33 degrees but never actually freezing.

It's literally been snowing nonstop for 10 hours now and started sticking 5 hours ago.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I am heading to bed but just took a measurement. I am at 9.5 inches.

Just amazing. That has to make you feel better.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Much potential for surprises later tonight and tomorrow morning with more convective looking activity moving onto the coast now. It would sure be nice to add another 2 or 3 inches to our totals with some extracurricular activity over the next couple of days. Models are notoriously bad with that type of thing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3" makes a world of difference. 3" doesnt "sound" like a lot, but put 3" on the landscape and it feels like more.

For sure. I might get another inch before it stops also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Picked up another 1/2" in the past half hour. Looking really impressive out there now. Totally dumping again.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9