September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Record warm September hopes are fading fast.

The ECMWF control run and the EPS show the trough later next week now... but the control run is really warm for a good part of the run and the EPS does not show any sustained western troughing.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The ECMWF control run and the EPS show the trough later next week now... but the control run is really warm for a good part of the run and the EPS does not show any sustained western troughing.

Never heard you talk about the control run until the last few days. EPS was definitely troughy though.

Never heard you talk about the control run until the last few days. EPS was definitely troughy though.

I always talk about the control run.   When it agrees well with the ECMWF then its a good sign.   It agrees on the trough later next week.

EPS is definitely troughy for a couple days later next week.   But its not troughy overall.    Here is day 10...

eps_z500_noram_41.png

I understand that it goes to climo in the long range... but it does not look troughy for most of the run.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ensembles generally look average to a little below from day 6 on, though.

A forum for the end of the world.

Ensembles generally look average to a little below from day 6 on, though.

Yes... the trough in one week looks solid now.   

And the EPS shows 850mb temps at or above normal again starting on day 9.    

Here is day 10... definitely would not say its cool from "day 6 on"

eps_t850a_noram_41.png

The 12z EPS depicts the same split flow/+NAO pattern that's dominated the last several years. That's a warm pattern upon verification, more-so the farther north you go.

This regime isn't ready to break down just yet.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

The 12z EPS depicts the same split flow/+NAO pattern that's dominated the last several years. That's a warm pattern upon verification, more-so the farther north you go.

This regime isn't ready to break down just yet.

Ok...but didn't you say just yesterday that the active Atlantic hurricane season was a sign that the regime was breaking down?

A forum for the end of the world.

Yet another GFS run showing a direct hit for Miami. Looking more and more likely that Florida sees a Cat 5 landfall.

The middle of the Everglades might be the best hope.   Worst wind between Naples and Miami.   

There is nothing between those cities except for alligators.   Probably too narrow though to spare both coasts.  

D10-15 EPS is the same recent subdecadal pattern we've seen in recent years..+PNA/+NAO and a big ridge over western North America. Man does 2008-2012 feel like an eternity ago.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/49575E53-9FAD-45D1-A816-279FE6B1A614_zpsh8tvjdpw.png

"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Ok...but didn't you say just yesterday that the active Atlantic hurricane season was a sign that the regime was breaking down?

Preparing to break down, yes. The shifting tropics are a clear precursor in this case.

We just need to wait for the Eurasian summer circulation (monsoonal) to be replaced by the winter circulation (Siberian high) for the conduits to waveguide perturbation to open and flip the PNA. This starts in late September, usually.

• Like 1

We've definitely seen some sort of shift this year. The progression regionally has been more akin to what we saw from the 1950s-80s, as opposed to the three decades since.

I agree, and I'd even extend this line of thinking across the high latitudes and into the tropics. The SIOD/EPAC both reversed signs within a span of a few months this summer, which is a pretty rapid shift by tropical standards.

Part of this is your typical response to decreasing solar, which we also saw back in 2006-2010.

not sure if posted here yet but Brett Anderson posted a fall forecast for Canada. He's calling for above normal temps and above normal precip in the PNW. Hopefully that leads to another killer winter...maybe even better than last? I would absolutely love some temps below 15F...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/canada-fall-2017-outlook/70002654

The path at landfall for Irma could be very similar to "Hurricane King" in October 1950. The eye of that one tracked directly over Miami, bringing 122 mph sustained winds to the Miami Weather Bureau Office. 

That's about the oddest paths I've seen.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

not sure if posted here yet but Brett Anderson posted a fall forecast for Canada. He's calling for above normal temps and above normal precip in the PNW. Hopefully that leads to another killer winter...maybe even better than last? I would absolutely love some temps below 15F...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/canada-fall-2017-outlook/70002654

Ugh, enough with the above normal temps.

Although if I remember correctly, Brett called for above normal Dec-Feb temps for PNW in his outlook for last winter. So take that for what it's worth. I don't think I've ever seen a cool seasonal outlook for us from him.

• Like 1

August NH snowcover extent was the highest since 1998.

Not bad.

Ugh, enough with the above normal temps.

Although if I remember correctly, Brett called for above normal Dec-Feb temps for PNW in his outlook for last winter. So take that for what it's worth. I don't think I've ever seen a cool seasonal outlook for us from him.

With a full blown Nina taking hold now it's nearly inevitable below normal temps will be coming soon enough.  I'm very surprised how fast the Nina has developed and how strong it is now forecast to get.  The fact we have 3 hurricanes over the Atlantic and none over the Pacific shows how rapidly the atmosphere is reacting to the colder ENSO.  I'm betting on a solid cold period somewhere in the late Sept to mid Oct period.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9