PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

But I have seen even that type of snow turn into bad traction on the roads after a few days of sun and wind with temps below freezing and constant traffic.  It becomes a shiny smooth surface.   

That's exactly the situation we have here in Denver on all the side roads now. But it was made worse by our last big storm starting out as rain and then icing up as it turned to snow.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

31 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Could be worse man. Parts of the east Willamette Valley like Stayton on up to Mollala or so have it pretty bad right now.

This is about the worst pattern we could possibly be in during the winter.  Just a load of horse shitt.

• Like 1
  • lol 4
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, NWbyNW said:

The damage and flooding from this California storm has been immense.  Very sad seeing what wind and crazy rain numbers have done.  :(

I will continue to be in the California weather thread, but I still check on you guys.  Miss ya. ;)  

capitolawharfcounty.jpg

capitola2.jpg

capitola.jpg

WEATHER-08.jpg

90.jpeg

Far from over it appears. The Sierras look to be absolutely hammered early next week.

gfs_apcpn_swus_23.png

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Poor Dewey. He finally got a call right last December, his confidence soared, and he went all in on the most cursed winter month...only to be burned yet again.

Remember Matt also predicted it would not hit 90 last July in Portland.   He is good but nature can fool even him. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Excellent, so no whining if everyone from Mossman north scores big in February, and everyone to the south gets skunked. Because it didn’t matter anyhow, too long of a wait.

Post bookmarked, just in case this happens.

I'm pretty sure the only below normal temps anyone is going to see will be from cold onshore flow.  Maybe areas up north will see some continental cold again sometime later in the winter.

The point is, I'm at the point where nowhere west of the Cascades would do it for me anymore.  Just too much crap for the brief reward we see.  I have no one to blame but myself for still being here though.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This is about the worst pattern we could possibly be in during the winter.  Just a load of horse shitt.

Why not enjoy the pleasant weather.  Better than 42 with sideways rain just to get some meaningless stats.

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Far from over it appears. The Sierras look to be absolutely hammered early next week.

gfs_apcpn_swus_23.png

You're right.  They have storms lined up for at least another week.  Whether it be rain, snow, or wind.  They're getting a pounding.  I've been trying to get the Californian's interested in their own weather, but they don't seem to care what's going on for the most part, lol. 

• Storm 1

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Dude, the snow levels for northern OR Cascades are consistently below 5k for the foreseeable future.

It can 100% get much worse than this.

See the first half of January 2021. PDX was literally outright warmer than parts of the Bay Area.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

The cold sideways rain was fun yesterday with the roaring wind. Though this is nice too.

Then you are enjoying it!   I think this pattern is most pleasant way to get through winter.   Obviously its not going to be snowy and cold for months on end around here.   We had a good run in my area... and probably have another one coming up in February.    But in between I am totally fine with very comfortable weather while the CA drought issues are reduced.  

• Like 1

The Torch Watch, because hey, there’s no decent snow chances to track, so might as well track something. (I paid for that WeatherBell access, D****T!  I’m using it, snow or no snow.)

Sunday, Monday, and next Thursday look good and torchy. Well, torchy at least. Whether or not that’s good is a matter of personal preference. Who knows, Roseburg may score a 60-burger on Thursday!

ecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f_max6-3222400.thumb.png.64b13faeecc297a92f04433ca13ec9bd.pngecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f_max6-3308800.thumb.png.9fd61bb52955443784bc632eda501428.pngecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f_max6-3568000.thumb.png.1f40850de75976f72e600e64e61aaede.png

• Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

28 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Could be another top tier warm January.

I sure didn't think today would be this warm.  The models are way behind the 8 ball on this.

Being real I should have seen it coming.  Our last really cold Nov / Dec combo was 1985 and Jan 1986 was a turd.  What a disappointment though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The Torch Watch, because hey, there’s no decent snow chances to track, so might as well track something. (I paid for that WeatherBell access, D****T!  I’m using it, snow or no snow.)

Sunday, Monday, and next Thursday look good and torchy. Well, torchy at least. Whether or not that’s good is a matter of personal preference. Who knows, Roseburg may score a 60-burger on Thursday!

ecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f_max6-3222400.thumb.png.64b13faeecc297a92f04433ca13ec9bd.pngecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f_max6-3308800.thumb.png.9fd61bb52955443784bc632eda501428.pngecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-t2m_f_max6-3568000.thumb.png.1f40850de75976f72e600e64e61aaede.png

Disgusting.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

C’mon jim….just had a top tier blast and multiple rounds of snow in an overall very wintery thanksgiving-Christmas. Things are gonna get better late January into early February. What makes cold/snow events great here is the fact that they’re not frequent. Wouldn’t be as exciting if it was guaranteed to happen every winter and we didn’t have to wait and see with 40-50 degree rain in between. 

• Like 8

I guess we have to assume the summer is going to be another sizzler too.  The January curse and the hot summers seem to be going hand in hand.  Maybe the epic change in CA means something has shifted in spite of what's going on here though.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I sure didn't think today would be this warm.  The models are way behind the 8 ball on this.

Being real I should have seen it coming.  Our last really cold Nov / Dec combo was 1985 and Jan 1986 was a turd.  What a disappointment though.

1995 and 2006 each show up twice on the current analogs. Both of those had arctic blasts and 1995 had a big snowstorm here in February. I think we definitely could see some snowy weather later on in February

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I guess we have to assume the summer is going to be another sizzler too.  The January curse and the hot summers seem to be going hand in hand.  Maybe the epic change in CA means something has shifted in spite of what's going on here though.

2016-17 rainy season was very wet in CA.    And it was a warm and eventually smoky summer for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

C’mon jim….just had a top tier blast and multiple rounds of snow in an overall very wintery thanksgiving-Christmas. Things are gonna get better late January into early February. What makes cold/snow events great here is the fact that they’re not frequent. Wouldn’t be as exciting if it was guaranteed to happen every winter and we didn’t have to wait and see with 40-50 degree rain in between. 

I'm just to the point where it doesn't matter if it's special. I just need it.  I just love the feel of cold continental air.  It would be awesome to get through a January without a ridiculous torch for once.

Also...The models have really taken a bad turn for our prospects going forward.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

1995 and 2006 each show up twice on the current analogs. Both of those had arctic blasts and 1995 had a big snowstorm here in February. I think we definitely could see some snowy weather later on in February

Both of those were pretty much snowless up here.  Granted I would take cold and dry over this horrible pattern we are in now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm just to the point where it doesn't matter if it's special. I just need it.  I just love the feel of cold continental air.  It would be awesome to get through a January without a ridiculous torch for once.

This isn't bad at all
image.thumb.png.6409d2235b2363314de33aaaef4aa84b.png

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

No matter what the long term ensembles say (most seem to be pretty good still early February) nobody knows what’ll happen 10-14 days out. Most of and possibly all of January is shot but that doesn’t mean it’s over. I’m sure that someday you’ll find a nice place to live on the Waterville plateau or Winthrop maybe and you won’t have to worry about this stuff much anymore. 

• Like 2

Fairly intense east wind event as a whole-- seems like Clark County got rocked judging by some of Tyler's photos earlier. Peak gust at PDX was a very respectable 51 mph, which is absolutely no slouch at that location.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2007-08 was the year I struggled the most with. I wanted to rank it a lot higher, but in the end I dropped it out of the top half of years. It was a solidly cool winter regionally, probably cooler than a lot of years above it. It was great for a lot of places with elevation and east of the cascades, but I couldn’t ignore how frustrating it was in the lowlands. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.