December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

If we score big enough looks like it'd lock in a white Christmas up this way. That'd be the 2nd one in my 30 year lifetime.

Wow... I would have expected that to happen more often up there.    

I am sure that we have had snow on the ground on Christmas more years than not here during our 13 years in this house.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That's the problem

It's just to the east of us

Blowing cold air into the valley...filling it like a bathtub. Surface low can come in around Coos Bay would be great

It's trending west. This is going to be a regional event. So much potential for this airmass about to hit us.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Wow... I would have expected that to happen more often up there.    

I am sure that we have had snow on the ground on Christmas more years than not here during our 13 years in this house.

Lots of close calls but as far as measurable snow, on the ground on Christmas, 2008 is the only time I can remember. I know 1996 did too but I wasn't here, so it doesn't count. :)

If that block trends, what, 200 miles further west are we in business?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Gotta hand it to Phil. Whether any of this verifies to an extreme degree, he called the personnel on the field from a very long ways out. Super computers have finally caught up to his brain for the moment.

You did good too, Flatiron!!! Very good grammar and sentence structure!!!

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, the regional details matter more for perception, so my head is still on the chopping block until those aspects verify.

• Like 1

I thought it didnt snow until Christmas evening or even the day after in 1996? I just remember being in battle ground for christmas and driving home on the 27th to Lynnwood. Olympia is were the snow started.

Your right.  Just looked back and it looks like it was more the 27th onward up here.

I thought it didnt snow until Christmas evening or even the day after in 1996? I just remember being in battle ground for christmas and driving home on the 27th to Lynnwood. Olympia is were the snow started.

The day after for places up here, however we did have an inch or so on the 23rd...if I remember correctly...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The trends on all 12z runs even at Day 1 was the Aleutian ridge a notch stronger, more width, and touch better amplification, to not weaken the ridge as it moved into the Gulf of Alaska, for a strong merger with Aleutian ridge, to cut-off the energy holding it south of the block, and for the block to not weaken as it sets up at Day 4-5. I expect that to continue with 00z runs tonight. If so, there is certainly room for colder runs ahead.

Bellingham and Anacortes had a White Christmas that year.  Snow started about the 20th and there was snow on the ground for a few weeks.  I remember places south of Skagit County did not get snow until after Christmas

I really wish I was here that winter. Came home to warm rain and 6ft tall snow piles in parking lots after New Years. Spent the time over Christmas in Arizona.

I really wish I was here that winter. Came home to warm rain and 6ft tall snow piles in parking lots after New Years. Spent the time over Christmas in Arizona.

Never leave home between November to March!! Was nervous going on my honeymoon to Hawaii back in November of 2012...luckily nothing was missed.

Scheduling visiting the in laws down in Arizona for April was no accident.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Too bad the Friday event probably doesn't have a ton of potential to be more than a dusting at least down here in the PDX area. Around here, It seems any precipitation caused by lift from an approaching modified arctic front is almost always too light and limited and runs completely dry once the temps are cold enough. Not often that we see an exception to that here. 

Never leave home between November to March!! Was nervous going on my honeymoon to Hawaii back in November of 2012...luckily nothing was missed.

Scheduling visiting the in laws down in Arizona for April was no accident.

Those are the best months to leave home!     We don't like leaving in the summer.  

We go on warm weather vacations every winter and I don't remember ever missing out on a big cold and snow event.   

Usually we miss days and days of 45-degree sideways rain while enjoying 80s and sunshine.  :)   Although we did miss lots of sunny, pleasant days when we were in Hawaii in February 2010.   That was not a well timed trip.   We got to watch the second week of the winter Olympics from Vancouver BC while there and it was sunny every time we turned it on.  

This year we are leaving for Hawaii on February 15th for the rest of the month.   Expect tons of rain or some early spring weather during that time.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Too bad the Friday event probably doesn't have a ton of potential to be more than a dusting at least down here in the PDX area. Around here, It seems any precipitation caused by lift from an approaching modified arctic front is almost always too light and limited and runs completely dry once the temps are cold enough. Not often that we see an exception to that here. 

The modeled setup is too much of a glancing blow in the upper levels to advect meaningful moisture ahead of the wind switch. That's probably not going to change, unless things shift pretty dramatically. 

The modeled setup is too much of a glancing blow in the upper levels to advect meaningful moisture ahead of the wind switch. That's probably not going to change, unless things shift pretty dramatically. 

This was a pretty dramatic change in itself, considering all previous model runs had not shown any kind of an event Friday.  

• Like 1

The Euro looks like epic at the end of the run  Huge potential for the mother lode shortly after that.  The GEM has a very similar look at that time.

Looking like a seriously cold December for places that did well with the fake cold the first half of the month.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This was a pretty dramatic change in itself, considering all previous model runs had not shown any kind of an event Friday.  

Ain't that the truth.  One thing I will say with the ECMWF in particular is I'm surprised it's showing any moisture at all with the cold shot at all looking at the 500mb pattern.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

True, but it would probably take a second comparable shift at this point to produce a westside setup that is highly favorable for snowfall going in. Would make for a pretty remarkable overall shift for this range. As it stands now, we're still teetering on the glancing blow side of things on most ensembles and the operationals.

Those are the best months to leave home! We don't like leaving in the summer.

We go on warm weather vacations every winter and I don't remember ever missing out on a big cold and snow event.

Usually we miss days and days of 45-degree sideways rain while enjoying 80s and sunshine. :) Although we did miss lots of sunny, pleasant days when we were in Hawaii in February 2010. That was not a well timed trip. We got to watch the second week of the winter Olympics from Vancouver BC while there and it was sunny every time we turned it on.

This year we are leaving for Hawaii on February 15th for the rest of the month. Expect tons of rain or some early spring weather during that time. :)

True. I just couldn’t imagine missing out on a 1985/1990/1996/2008/2012 event. I would be way too twitchy and irratated to enjoy 80 degree sunshine. Though when I had the opportunity back in Jan 2008 to spend time in San Diego and go on a Baja Mexican cruise I most definitely did not pass it up. April is a good month to go, you are almost assured of never missing anything but rain and 50’s.