March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

If it freezes tonight that will make tomorrow the 50th day to have a freezing low temperature here this season.  Not too bad when you consider Nov and Jan combined had a grand total of 3 such days.  A really whacked out distribution this season.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Beautiful day! Love this time of year!

When it's like this you mean.  I absolutely detest spring when it's like most of the ones we have had this century.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

When it's like this you mean.  I absolutely detest spring when it's like most of the ones we have had this century.

Exactly.   

Jesse and Andrew actually do prefer as much rain as possible in the spring... and summer... and fall.   And worry endlessly about drought.    They would love a very rainy summer.   That is fine... its takes all kinds to make the world go round.  

Everyone says Jim and I are opposites... but our preferences are quite close in reality.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Exactly.   

Jesse and Andrew actually do prefer as much rain as possible in the spring... and summer... and fall.   And worry endlessly about drought.    They would love a very rainy summer which the vast majority of people living here would obviously hate.   That is fine... its takes all kinds to make the world go round.  

Everyone says Jim and I are opposites... but our preferences are quite close in reality.  

Jesus Christ Tim.

Jesus Christ Tim.

Its true... we all have our preferences. Jim stated his strongly and corrected Andrew.

My real point was that Jim and I usually agree on our preferences way more than not... and the perception that we are opposites is false. :)

I took out the 'obviously hate' part... I can't speak for everyone.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like the early-April ridge is on track. I still think it lasts until mid-April, then the pattern changes back into a fairly Niña-ish mode of operation.

Once we get back into the Nina-ish mode you are talking about how long do you see us in that pattern and do you think we will have more opportunities for ridging the rest of spring like what we will see in early April?

Once we get back into the Nina-ish mode you are talking about how long do you see us in that pattern and do you think we will have more opportunities for ridging the rest of spring like what we will see in early April?

I haven’t really looked beyond April yet.

That is the end of the ridging until 2025 at the earliest.

Exactly.   

Jesse and Andrew actually do prefer as much rain as possible in the spring... and summer... and fall.   And worry endlessly about drought.    They would love a very rainy summer.   That is fine... its takes all kinds to make the world go round.  

To  be honest, I find the sun at 50 degrees pretty boring.  I prefer rain or, even better, thunderstorms.  So I would have to side with Jesse and Andrew on this one.  

• Like 1

To be honest, I find the sun at 50 degrees pretty boring. I prefer rain or, even better, thunderstorms. So I would have to side with Jesse and Andrew on this one.

This forum is for you then!

Gettysburg cams looked beautiful this evening!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

You can go back and re watch a few hours before. Wonderful area.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

You can go back and re watch a few hours before. Wonderful area.

Again... don't bother linking us.   We all know what you are talking about of course.   Everyone has all of the Gettysburg cams bookmarked.  

Other way around.   We 'normies' are outcasts on here.   ;)

Look I used to live in the prairies where there were thunderstorms ALL the time in the summer.  Here the summers are pretty boring, at least the last couple.  So much sun, so little action.  That's all! 

Look I used to live in the prairies where there were thunderstorms ALL the time in the summer. Here the summers are pretty boring, at least the last couple. So much sun, so little action. That's all!

Victoria is probably the worst place in the entire country for convection. Literally years between decent events.

Some clipper action on the GFS and GEM around day 10.    Carrots are back!

The consistent EPS says it won't happen.   I am guessing it will slide farther east on future runs.   Time will tell!  

Victoria is probably the worst place in the entire country for convection. Literally years between decent events.

I know.  Worst place for weather.  Can't wait to get out of here.  

Have there been some good thunderstorms up in Shawnigan?   

Look I used to live in the prairies where there were thunderstorms ALL the time in the summer.  Here the summers are pretty boring, at least the last couple.  So much sun, so little action.  That's all! 

There will never be much thunderstorm activity in any season around here... no matter how hard you wish for it.   And summers will always be boring by your standards.   Like moving to Phoenix and hoping for lots of marine layer days.  Good luck!     ;)

There will never be much thunderstorm activity in any season around here... no matter how hard you wish for it.   And summers will always be boring by your standards.   Like moving to Phoenix and hoping for lots of marine layer days.  Good luck!     ;)

Or moving to the Cascade foothills at 47 degrees north and hoping to avoid marine layer days. Good luck! ;)

What do you see in summers that you like here?  

I know.  Worst place for weather.  Can't wait to get out of here.  

And Victoria is WAY more beautiful than the middle of the country.    There is that. 

Or moving to the Cascade foothills at 47 degrees north and hoping to avoid marine layer days. Good luck! ;)

I know exactly what to expect here and what is normal.   And we love it.   

And its precisely because I know what to expect that I appreciate the nice days so much.   And always want more.   :)

And Victoria is WAY more beautiful than the middle of the country.    There is that. 

It is, I've just lived here long enough to know that it's time for something more interesting.  Hoping to move out to Halifax or something later on, feel some good extremes! 

• Like 1

It is, I've just lived here long enough to know that it's time for something more interesting.  Hoping to move out to Halifax or something later on, feel some good extremes! 

Thats cool.

I know. Worst place for weather. Can't wait to get out of here.

Few and far between. The Victoria to Nanaimo part of the island is the worst in the country. Nanaimo actually sees fewer than Victoria. The average is 2-3 thunderstorm days per year around here.

Occasionally we see some good storms build up over the mountains west of here, but they usually fall apart as the drift towards us.

What do you see in summers that you like here?  

Sunshine... low humidity... pleasant temperatures... stunning scenery... endless outdoor activities.     

Its paradise here in the summer most of the time.   We tolerate winter and live for summer.   

It is, I've just lived here long enough to know that it's time for something more interesting. Hoping to move out to Halifax or something later on, feel some good extremes!

I like the climate here in Shawnigan. Springs can drag on a bit when they’re cool and showery. Summers are usually pretty nice and we see decent snowfalls often enough to appreciate them without having to wait for years at a time.

For me esquimalt is too cool in the summer with sea breezes. And definitely not enough snow. More wind storms though, which I do enjoy.

• Like 1

Few and far between. The Victoria to Nanaimo part of the island is the worst in the country. Nanaimo actually sees fewer than Victoria. The average is 2-3 thunderstorm days per year around here.

Occasionally we see some good storms build up over the mountains west of here, but they usually fall apart as the drift towards us.

I think Nanaimo airport was ranked as having the least amount of thunderstorms per year of any Canadian city. Once you get north of Nanoose the dynamics improve a bit more. Occasionally in "humid" airmasses storms can develop and roll down the Strait from the NW with an approaching cold front. The warmer summer water temperatures help a bit up there; places in the Strait can even get convection with the convergence that occurs when the overnight offshore breeze kicks in. That setup can also produce waterspouts. 

Definitely more interesting than the stuff we get in Victoria:

PFWtIdr.jpg

3Ip1WOs.jpg

• Like 1