March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Flatiron invented the internet just so he could establish this forum just so he could mention it before I mentioned it before Phil mentioned it.

Then Al Gore tried to claim he invented the internet before I could mention that Phil predicted I would invent the internet - though as usual, he was 3 weeks slow/fast.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Pretty historic looking pattern during week 2 on the 18z GFS.  It would be a kick to see something like that verify.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Snowflakes in the air today from Ellensburg to Cle Elum.

Light rain now at home and 49.

Had a few sprinkles here but dry again now with broken clouds... still pretty warm as well at 54.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Snowflakes in the air today from Ellensburg to Cle Elum.

Light rain now at home and 49.

I'm pretty surprised it was snow over there with the state being under the warm sector.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm pretty surprised it was snow over there with the state being under the warm sector.

There was a fairly cold and dry continental airmass left over the region this morning, then a warm front moved up from the low off the California coast as it merged with the low/cold front dropping down out of Alaska. Pretty interesting pattern.

Some snow in the Kittitas valley wouldn’t surprise me with this setup considering how well that area holds onto cold, especially when the flow is offshore.

• Like 1

Picture today from Monroe WA... I thought she captured a nice spring scene (and the beautiful weather up here today).  That garden was planted today.  :)

29570442_10211261048146031_6076792357724

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 00Z GFS going with lots of frosty nights in the MR to LR.  Sounds like Jim's in luck.  Not sure sure about Tim  ;)

So the GFS has the pattern nailed perfectly at 10 days out?  

Anything dry with some sun is good with me right now. 

If only this morning's 1.33km WRF had a chance to verify . . .   :(  :(  :(

Must be trying to develop some seriously impressive graupel showers.

ww_snow24.48.0000.gif

Unsurprisingly, the 00z seems to have snapped back to reality and is essentially snowless below 1,000 feet.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Complete wasteland, that yard.

Pretty sure that grass is not a concern at all there... they must focus on the garden.     Its probably more weeds than grass.   

Here is another one from today... she was asking about removing the dead growth from last year.    Lots of things going on here... including some white flowering trees and a pink blossoming cherry in the background.

29473227_10101020857685224_2522697583025

Starting to look like Friday will be our only shot at a high in the 40s with the upcoming trough, at least down here. All of the other days should have sufficient sunbreaks to bump things to 50 or above.

GFS MOS shows 49 at SEA on Friday even with broken clouds all day.

Starting to look like Friday will be our only shot at a high in the 40s with the upcoming trough, at least down here. All of the other days should have sufficient sunbreaks to bump things to 50 or above. 

I think Thursday-Sunday all have a chance here. It will be close though.

4 straight highs in the 40's would be impressive this time of year.

• Like 1

I think Thursday-Sunday all have a chance here. It will be close though.

4 straight highs in the 40's would be impressive this time of year.

Yeah, it’s tough to say. The upper airmass is definitely cold enough assuming there are clouds and precip around peak heating. The sun is nearing mid-September strength, though.

Yeah, it’s tough to say. The upper airmass is definitely cold enough assuming there are clouds and precip around peak heating. The sun is nearing mid-September strength, though.

It will definitely be all about the timing of precip and sunbreaks. Even 850's around -10 would likely bring highs near 50 this time of year under full sunshine.

As it is we will have 850's around -6 to -7 with on and off showers. Tough call.