May 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

With light rain it is a cool mid morning here the temperature is now at 50° here at my house. Boy things are really green around here now. In the UP the green up is sill in progress and yes there is still patches of snow on Mt Ripley 

https://www.mtu.edu/webcams/

Here is some webcams from Munising area

https://www.exploremunising.com/web-cams/

Back in Chi, it's a blustery, cold, cloudy and windy morning here with a temp of 46F. Some spots near the lake are in the low 40's! @IllinoisWx, you freezing your a** up?? LOL...Yup, gonna flip the furnace on again this month. Sooo looking forward to the mid 80's mid and late week around here.

This map says it all for OMA folks...@CentralNeb scores much needed precip...I think we've seen him score more hits out of anyone in NE. Spotty heavy rains in KS which is normal;y the case in summer convective patterns.

precip_3d_accum_mw_2018051912.png

Literally 18 of 20 days this month I’ve rocked a hoody. Today it’s even worse lol where’s the winter jackets at

• Like 2

Literally 18 of 20 days this month I’ve rocked a hoody. Today it’s even worse lol where’s the winter jackets at

I just had that feeling, right before you came out here that this is what would transpire this month, esp with such a chilly lake.  Now you know why I love heading to AZ this time of year.  My first time in many years that I've stayed an entire Spring in Chicago.  Gosh, I don't know how people do it!  No wonder peeps around here try to enjoy summer as much as they can living near the GL's bc the season feels like it is so short.  Anyway, I'm sure North Ave and Oak St beach will be rocking on Saturday.  You heading down there this weekend?  I'm thinking of going on Friday to avoid the crowds.

Another.40 last night. Close to 4 inches here since Friday morning. Been a long time since we have had numbers like that. Forecasts say we may hit 90 by Friday.

We are leaving for a cruise this Thursday. Flying from Omaha to Miami Friday morning then we leave Saturday morning from Miami on an 8 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. I will have limited internet access but will try and check the board and might even post a few times.

• Like 3

Another.40 last night. Close to 4 inches here since Friday morning. Been a long time since we have had numbers like that. Forecasts say we may hit 90 by Friday.

We are leaving for a cruise this Thursday. Flying from Omaha to Miami Friday morning then we leave Saturday morning from Miami on an 8 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. I will have limited internet access but will try and check the board and might even post a few times.

Sounds like a fun trip!  Looks like tropical downpours on Saturday near Miami as that system tries getting its act together near FL.  Should clear up though on Sunday.  What islands are you heading to?  

We're getting on and off showers here. I like this weather. Especially since Summer and likely our first 90s are being ushered in next week. I'll take these couple days of having the A/C 100% off. 56.8*F.

I'll be in Cedar Rapids and Dubuque, IA next weekend. I'll be in CR to visit some friends and I'll be in Dubuque to go apartment hunting. There's a decent school opportunity for me in Platteville, WI and if I were to take that up I'd live in Dubuque. Even if I do move up there, it still wouldn't be for over a year. You Iowans had better enjoy your snow this year cuz if I move up there my anti-snow hex will follow me there.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Wow thats a chilly rain you have over by chitown!!

Damp and low 50s over here. I dont see it budging much today.

No doubt, its been a great day to make a delicious pot of soup though.  Now I'm going to kick back and watch some flicks.

Professional analog from me: May 2009 was warm and dry. The following Winter was the best one here in recent history. This May is warm and dry. Therefore, next Winter will be another 2009-10 here. /s

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Well, I guess we have diaurnally driven thunderstorms to look forward to till the next big system. Just gotta hope one of them directly hits here. 53.6*F.

Man, I envy your nighttime temps right now. Although tonight's 62° isn't bad here. It put down some nice rain here this evening that kept me from having to mow my yard. Lol.

Man, I envy your nighttime temps right now. Although tonight's 62° isn't bad here. It put down some nice rain here this evening that kept me from having to mow my yard. Lol.

I opened all my windows just so I can sleep with a comforter one last time before I put it away for summer.

Now, this is a summer-like forecast leading up to MDW...the furnace was going on and off yesterday, gosh I hope that is the last time this season I have to use it.  Maybe one more time today but good lord, I think its about that time to kick off summer this weekend.

DdtZVLBWsAEkTb4.jpg

• Like 2

The rain in Chicago is really messing up my morning. I’m boarded for my flight to ORD but now there is a ground stoppage. Looks like it’s gonna be raining for a while too. The joys of travel. Weather in chitown looks good the rest of the week though.

Are you staying here for the holiday or just for the work week?

It is absolutely pouring rain on this dreary Monday morning....it's rained so hard here this month it almost feels like I'm living in the tropics...ORD may be approaching the wettest May on record if this pattern doesn't let up.

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/LOT/N0Q/LOT.N0Q.20180521.1205.gif

• Like 1

Chilly last night as some areas might have experienced temps in the 30s. Lows were primarily between upper 30s and low 40s.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Sunny, gorgeous week coming up after a few showers later today.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Just here for work this week out in the western burbs. Landed a few minutes ago. 49 degrees? Yikes!

Nice, enjoy your time here...I can't wait to see the sun and mild temps later this week along with a touch of humidity will make it feel like summer just in time for the official weekend kick-off into the summer season.

• Like 1

Pouring buckets here. Complete wash out this morning. Going to be some impressive totals I’m sure

You ain’t kidding. 2nd round coming through MBY right now. 3rd round approaching from the SW. I think some 2”+ totals look doable.

Impressive rates:

Heavy rain & embedded thunder moving over #Chicago metro is causing very efficient rain rates. As of 10:47am, O'Hare had received almost 0.9" of rain in about 25 mins. Also, very low visibility occurring with heavy rainfall, with O'Hare at 1/4 mile for several mins.

Tropics in Chi???

• Like 1

You ain’t kidding. 2nd round coming through MBY right now. 3rd round approaching from the SW. I think some 2”+ totals look doable.

Yard flooded (again) as I’m sure yours is as well. Widespread 2-3” in and around chi-metro area seem likely.

• Like 1

The heavier rain missed me to the west and north this morning, but I picked up another 0.42", making my 2-day total a respectable 0.86".  That's just the right amount needed to water in the grub control.  In recent years I've been spreading grub control on the parts of the yard that were ruined the previous year, but then grubs just move on to another part, so this year I covered the entire yard.

It's looking rather hot and humid later this week into the weekend... potentially upper 80s with 70 dew.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Yard flooded (again) as I’m sure yours is as well. Widespread 2-3” in and around chi-metro area seem likely.

Basement still flooding - 9 days and counting BEFORE today's broken record  :rolleyes:

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Basement still flooding - 9 days and counting BEFORE today's broken record  :rolleyes:

Might as well set a record for this month over here....I think we do it by the weekend...

With a preliminary rainfall number of 1.98" today (7.33" for the month), we are creeping close to the wettest May in Chicago weather history (7.59” May 1945).
  • Like 1

Basement still flooding - 9 days and counting BEFORE today's broken record :rolleyes:

That sucks man. Water causes so much damage and headaches whether it be roof leak or basement seepage/backup. Hopefully we can dry out soon.

• Like 1

Earlier this Spring, there were maps showing ridging in Canada and potential tropical troubles in the GOM.  During this Memorial Day Weekend, we have a clear example of what a tropical system can do to really warm things up across the MW/GL's.  Check out that monster ridge over the top which brings the seasons first torch of the year across a lot of our sub forum.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_25.png

Temps have trended upwards across the GL's for the entire holiday weekend.  Frankly, I don't mind at all.  Interestingly though, according to the Euro, where it is dry in the Upper MW it may reach the 90's while around here it stays in the upper 80's with the very wet soils.

• Like 1