June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Looks like a strong CZ sets up south of Mossman late Saturday.

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_37.png

nam3km_apcpn_nwus_20.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Wet here too.

Sticking to cars and grass and homeless people.

Have you gotten the measuring tape out and checked the accumulation on all of those surfaces yet?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Are the trees gonna make it?  This rain may not be enough to stave off tree-mageddon.

Not sure how they will make it to our very wet August. 

Could be a few weeks of 70s and 80s with sun at times... enough to kill most living things.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Could be a few weeks of 70s and 80s with sun at times... enough to kill most living things.

The I5 corridor might see a 1.4" mean instead of .8". Summer completely ruined, any concerns of drought mitigated.

• Like 1

I think they're building a bio-dome to preserve the most 'at-risk' plants and animals until the climate normalizes.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Still pouring!

Jealous af. We just finished practice and I’m sweating my skin off. #IWant50DegreeDrizzle

Steady rain since 2.  Brown patch of grass in the backyard needs this badly.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Steady rain since 2.  Brown patch of grass in the backyard needs this badly.

Pick one of these up at Home Depot.    It is a water delivery system.   You can provide water for thirsty plants and grass... we have the technology!   What an age we live in.    B)

916wPHPOBQL._SX355_.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pick one of these up at Home Depot.    It is a water delivery system.   You can provide water for thirsty plants and grass... we have the technology!   What an age we live in.    B)

916wPHPOBQL._SX355_.jpg

Oh believe me the hose has been getting things plenty wet.  Just haven't been able to get the duration part down.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

So, I'm sure I can count on you guys that are making snarky comments about dying trees to come down to Eugene and help me cut down and haul out some of the numerous firs on my property that have already died due to the heat and drought of the last 5 years.

Could have died from extreme cold!

Adversity makes for a stronger forest.

We cut down trees all the time on our property to open up sunlight or views. And in a couple years there are more to take down. They grow like weeds.

And we use them for firewood... no reason to haul them away.

Lots of people around here place ads and let people come and take down trees and haul them away for their own firewood. Don't have to pay them at all.

Live view from our window here... a fog shrouded Rattlesnake Ridge and healthy forest.   I swear those trees behind our shed grow 2 or 3 feet per year.

20180608_204626.jpg

Sooo....

If we had a fairly cold fall and we were transitioning into winter would you suspend your yearning for cold, sexy weather for the sake of #fairandbalanced?

You are the only fair and balanced poster here.

And if we were able to pull off a fairly cold fall (unlikely to ever happen again) I certainly wouldn't be grousing about the lack of cold weather.

This rain could be a game changer.

How so?

Not very impressive so far.

I am genuinely disappointed. I would love to see widespread significant rain right now.

Pick one of these up at Home Depot. It is a water delivery system. You can provide water for thirsty plants and grass... we have the technology! What an age we live in. B)

You realize it needs to be raining somewhere, or have rained somewhere at some point for that hose to work, right?

And one garden hose can not make up for drought conditions.

You realize it needs to be raining somewhere, or have rained somewhere at some point for that hose to work, right?

And one garden hose can not make up for drought conditions.

It rains all the time in the PNW. Not a problem.

And a hose can be helpful for those brown spots in the lawn when the rain stops for a couple weeks after raining on the majority of days for 9 straight months.

No, "adversity" makes for different native vegetation.

By your logic, the "strongest" Douglas firs should grow in the Sahara Desert.

I like my fir trees.  I don't want them all to die.  If I wanted a native desert landscape, I'd stay in SoCal forever.

Plus, there's this weird persistent phenomenon where you project what's going on in your own backyard microclimate as if it applies to everyone.  It doesn't.

Dumb post.    Adversity does make for a stronger forest.    Fire is also beneficial to a forest and an integral part of the natural cycle.   The Sahara Desert comment is just dumb.  :rolleyes:

And the sarcastic comment from farmboy that prompted your scorn was specifically about the trees in my area.  

Regardless... what you want is completely irrelevant to nature.    Scolding us is irrelevant.    We don't control it.

It was a VERY wet rainy season up here in WA and BC.   The rain has let up for a few weeks.   Big deal.  Maybe you need to keep moving north?    

00Z ECMWF is nice.

Another decent rain event for WA and BC on Wednesday into Thursday and then warm and sunny starting Friday through the weekend and beyond.   Highs next weekend on the ECMWF surface maps are in the 80s up here... but near 100 from Portland southward.