October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

More extreme weather on the way, this time in the form of record lows for the central US on Monday.

Ryan Maue@RyanMaue

Record cold temperatures arriving for next week. Monday morning widespread record lows across the Central U.S. -- mostly in the 20s.

20°F in Denver

28°F in Lubbock Texas

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1050198793306742784

Record lows...what are those?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Too bad people can't just relax and enjoy it while it lasts instead of getting all bent out of shape about it.

Should have known I need to be happy about the water bill continuing to be elevated because I still haven't been able to turn the sprinklers off.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Too bad people can't just relax and enjoy it while it lasts instead of getting all bent out of shape about it.

Seriously. Some people here almost seem like they would drive hundreds of miles away and stay there for months just to avoid weather they don't like. Silly. Take a chill pill I say.

Finishing up my office and then I will have time to finally finish a much needed forum upgrade. Beside the added security, mobile features, and ease of use, I am looking forward to downvoting some posts into oblivion.

Will I be able to add a live weather-widget in my sig?

Been wanting to do that for awhile.

Name my dash!

I kind of like this new and improved auto forum!

Hmm. Tim? Or maybe Jesse?

Whatever it is, it looks pretty old. Chevy?

Hmm. Tim? Or maybe Jesse?

Whatever it is, it looks pretty old. Chevy?

It’s the same year as our last awesome January event! Name that year

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

You mean the car thermometer sitting right next to your heat-emitting engine? Figures. :lol:

My car thermometer records temps over 110*F during the summer months.

I actually thought it was a great verification of my car thermometer. I was sitting in the cell phone lot next to a field and the runway and my car thermometer read 55 degrees right when the 9 p.m. observation at SEA came in at 55 degrees. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I actually thought it was a great verification of my car thermometer. I was sitting in the cell phone lot next to a field and the runway and my car thermometer read 55 degrees right when the 9 p.m. observation at SEA came in at 55 degrees. :)

Car thermometers notoriously run warm, so it all checks out.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Car thermometers notoriously run warm, so it all checks out.

Well my wife came out of the terminal and said it felt so warm here... coming from 33 degrees and snow showers in Denver. So I am guessing that SEA was actually slightly warmer than 33. Maybe 38. I suspect the SEA sensor runs 17 degrees warm.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Oddly enough, the thermometer in my truck runs a degree or two on the cool side.

My old accord would run 7-10 degrees too cold. And I know for sure it ran cold because some mornings when parked outside it would read in the 20s when the windows were wet and not icy at all.

Yeah, my car routinely records record-setting warm temps, especially when parked in the sun.

Oddly enough... there was no sun at all tonight at SEA when I was comparing my car temp to the SEA sensor temp.

Probably no pavement either?

My car was parked on pavement... cold, dark pavement. With lots of grass in all directions. And judging by what it looked like in my headlights... it was was green grass!

My car was parked on pavement... cold, dark pavement. With lots of grass in all directions. And judging by what it looked like in my headlights... it was was green grass!

Well, that settles it. That whole UHI talk for SEA is fabricated bullshit.

Did your car record weirdly dry conditions as well?

A forum for the end of the world.

Well, that settles it. That whole UHI talk for SEA is fabricated bullshit.

Did your car record weirdly dry conditions as well?

I was actually using that location to verify my car themometer... not the SEA reading.   I am trusting that the SEA reading was accurate to within a couple tenths of a degree.    And surprisingly... my car agreed!  

We have a winner! You win a 1983 Buick Skylark!!

Haha.

See, Tim? I do pay attention to your obs up there.

• Like 1

This new climate sucks. Give me a classic October windstorm and several frosty nights.

Might be a while before we see a freeze.

Its not a new climate.

I just randomly started looking at past Octobers just now and came across October 1907 in the Snoqualmie Valley.    It rained on 6 days in October that year... and there was no rain from 10/4 through 10/28.     There was rain on the first 3 days of the month and the last 3 days.   I bet the early settlers were VERY upset about not being pounded with wind and rain every day.    And screaming about global warming as they clear cut the forest.    :lol:

Its not a new climate.

I just randomly started looking at past Octobers just now and came across October 1907 in the Snoqualmie Valley. It rained on 6 days in October that year... and there was no rain from 10/4 through 10/28. There was rain on the first 3 days of the month and the last 3 days. I bet the early settlers were VERY upset about not being pounded with wind and rain every day. And screaming about global warming as they clear cut the forest. :lol:

I've tried to argue October is not actually a winter month..

Its not a new climate.

I just randomly started looking at past Octobers just now and came across October 1907 in the Snoqualmie Valley.    It rained on 6 days in October that year... and there was no rain from 10/4 through 10/28.     There was rain on the first 3 days of the month and the last 3 days.   I bet the early settlers were VERY upset about not being pounded with wind and rain every day.    And screaming about global warming as they clear cut the forest.    :lol:

Had they endured 6 summers like we've just had? Also, did they only have .5" from June til the end of October that year?

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Had they endured 6 summers like we've just had? Also, did they only have .5" from June til the end of October that year?

That never happens here.   Ever.

And again... my sister in San Diego has had more rain than you. Stockton has had 3 times as much rain as you.  Portland has had 6 times as much.

So I am not sure how to explain the situation there.    Sure as hell is not dry up here.

That never happens here. Ever.

And again... my sister in San Diego has had more rain than you. Stockton has had 3 times as much rain as you! Portland has had 6 times as much. So I am not sure how to explain the situation there. Sure as hell is not dry up here.

It's been drier than normal over the last 6 months for the region overall. He represents the extreme, but below normal is certainly not the exception.

• Like 1

The word boring comes to mind looking at the forecast.

It will be cooler and the shadows will be longer, but this is essentially a continuation of the weather we have seen 80% of the time since late April. Kind of ready for something a little more interesting, whatever that may be.

It's been drier than normal over the last 6 months for the region overall. He represents the extreme, but below normal is certainly not the exception.

We are allowed to have drier than normal periods right?     Can someone explain why every season HAS to be wetter than normal or its the end of the world?    

Still no idea how to explain the extreme situation around Eugene.

But I remind you again of the last 3 years.   (wish we could do a 4 year map on WRCC)

anomimage_4.gif