November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

I moved up here back in 97 and I definitely like Portland’s action better compared to Federal Way. East wind was a HuGE joy of mine and love how the microclimate there fools even the local weatherman.

East wind is awesome.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

East wind is awesome.

It's awesome when it actually happens. This fall has been so horrid that we are not getting anything- no east wind, no south wind, no significant rain, and no substantial weather. I'm really worried for this winter. Also Seattle has gotten so many events that ended up busting for Portland. So many windstorms that flopped down here.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

It's awesome when it actually happens. This fall has been so horrid that we are not getting anything- no east wind, no south wind, no significant rain, and no substantial weather. I'm really worried for this winter. Also Seattle has gotten so many events that ended up busting for Portland. So many windstorms that flopped down here.

Stagnant weather sucks....I understand

I am pretty sure that low solar means a good chance of some cold and snow regardless of ENSO. I really like the odds for late November and December.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looking like November around my property. Took advantage of the last of the later daylight hours before the late afternoon darkness falls over us for the remainder of 2018.

F736C977-0FC3-490C-ABA1-09E258BD64A4.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The east-Asian anticyclone is going to be a problem starting in week 2.

It kills poleward vertical wave activity fluxes. So the PV is then able to strengthen without hindrance, which, given the +ENSO background state, doesn’t help the west (or anyone, for that matter). Baffin Island winter lovers will enjoy it, though.

bfM2yA9.jpg

• Like 1

What's so bad about having a strong PV at this point of the year?

From what I've seen a strong PV in early to mid November isn't all doom and gloom or necessarily a bad sign for later in the winter during +ENSO years. Or am I missing something here?

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

What's so bad about having a strong PV at this point of the year?

From what I've seen a strong PV in early to mid November isn't all doom and gloom or necessarily a bad sign for later in the winter during +ENSO years. Or am I missing something here?

In your cold climate, it probably doesn’t matter.

But it’s a bad thing if it gets too strong and screws areas that typically “score early” in +ENSO winters, like the PNW. Because it takes time time beat the vortex back once it goes steroidal.

• Like 2

In your cold climate, it probably doesn’t matter.

But it’s a bad thing if it gets too strong and screws areas that typically “score early” in +ENSO winters, like the PNW. Because it takes time time beat the vortex back once it goes steroidal.

We're screwed.

FWIW, I’m only talking about November. Starting in early December, the tropical forcing/AAM cycle should start changing and that east-Asia/NW-Pacific pattern will begin to flip modes.

The question is, does it happen soon enough? Wave-1 style wavebreaking events can work in the West during the month of December, as 2009 proves. But there is a time constraint with tropical forcing/wavetrains becoming increasingly niño-ish as December progresses.

• Like 1

What winter was our most epic Niño for snow/cold...68/69?

Probably one of the 19th century winters?

Or maybe an 18th century winter?

Could be. Or maybe it was a winter ~ 20,000 years ago.

Year round snowcover ftmfw. ☃️