November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

Probably not seeing the influence of east winds down here. Hard to picture anything above mid-50s or so given the advertised surface pattern. I’m sure your location will be pushing 80, though.

Some unnecessary mocking... nice!

ECMWF does show the east wind.

Here is a closer look at day 8... it hints at cooler temps outside of the outflow areas like the South Sound and the central and southern Willamette Valley...

ecmwf-t2max-washington-35.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A measly 0.01" of rain here in Eugene, but an awesome sunset:

181103-ORsunset-001.jpg

Very nice. We were driving on highway 22 east of Salem yesterday evening, and could see the red glow on the far SW horizon. I was thinking there was probably an awesome sunset in progress in the south valley, and this confirms.

• Like 1

Yep, time to sit back and watch everywhere else get nailed while we get benign weather. I really am hoping for some surprises this year but I just am very skeptical.

Helps to already have a year of disappointment on everyone else. Already numb to no accumulating snow so when it happens again in 2022 I can cherish it.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I hate that map as much as you hate rain. Pure dog shitttt.

Looks really cold in the middle of the country.   My friends and family in MN are not going to be happy.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Who the hell would live in Minnesota and not like cold?

Tim's relatives, of course. :lol:

I heard his second cousin ( the black sheep of the family, hates heat ) will be moving to Yuma this year.

You are on a roll today!

Most of the people there are part of families who have been there for generations... from a time when European settlers moved west for better agriculture. That is true with my family and my wife's family. People tend to stay there. Some leave... but most do not. And the weather is just part of the trial and tribulations of life. They complain about the cold and snow and the long winters and then heat and humidity and bugs and they stay.

They all complain about the cold. I will start sharing their facebook posts with you so you can scold them! Almost everybody there complains about the weather. Its how they cope with it. That is just a fact.

Wild, the next two weeks look horrendous. I guess we can watch the East Coast get blessed with cold and stormy weather. Just like last year.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest daniel1

True. Early in the season, there is less tropospheric coupling to the PV/stratosphere. Gets more complicated during the second half of November, though.

I really want to see the east-Asia/NW-Pacific pattern change before the end of the month.

I know it’s the CFS weeklies but they have east Asia troughing returning after Nov 20th and by D15 on the ensemble means you can tell the ridge is moving more toward the aleutians.

You are on a roll today!

Most of the people there are part of families who have been there for generations... from a time when European settlers moved west for better agriculture. That is true with my family and my wife's family. People tend to stay there. Some leave... but most do not. And the weather is just part of the trial and tribulations of life. They complain about the cold and snow and the long winters and then heat and humidity and bugs and they stay.

They all complain about the cold. I will start sharing their facebook posts with you so you can scold them! Almost everybody there complains about the weather. Its how they cope with it. That is just a fact.

Honestly they are kind of lucky to experience such intense and breathtaking weather.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are on a roll today!   

Most of the people there are part of families who have been there for generations... from a time when European settlers moved west for better agriculture.  That is true with my family and my wife's family.   People tend to stay there.    Some leave... but most do not.    And the weather is just part of trial and tribulations of life.    They complain about the cold and snow and the long winters and then heat and humidity and bugs and they stay.   

They all complain about the cold.   I will start sharing their facebook posts with you so you can scold them!  Almost everybody there complains about the weather.   Its how they cope with it.    That is just a fact.   

Half of my family is from Minnesota (Alexandria area) and the relatives we have back there seem to like the snow and cold. Good for ice fishing and snowmobiling, among other things. I think you just come from a long line of complainers. ;)

• Like 1

That front was actually pathetic. Look like only Seattle got hit, because it obviously missed Portland (I have 0.05 inches in the gauge).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Very nice. We were driving on highway 22 east of Salem yesterday evening, and could see the red glow on the far SW horizon. I was thinking there was probably an awesome sunset in progress in the south valley, and this confirms.

It was beautiful from Autzen Stadium.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Half of my family is from Minnesota (Alexandria area) and the relatives we have back there seem to like the snow and cold. Good for ice fishing and snowmobiling, among other things. I think you just come from a long line of complainers. ;)

There are many who are into snowmobiling.   And they complain about the cold too.  Snowmobiling is not so fun with a windchill of -30.   

All of my high school friends must also come from long lines of complainers as well then.    Its 100% a coping mechanism.   Misery loves company.  

Also Tim, please do not feel the need to share screenshots of facebook posts from your family members here to prove a point. I believe you. I have no doubt they are just as whiny as you are. :)

New here, is this "yelling" at Tim a running joke on here?

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

There are many who are into snowmobiling.   And they complain about the cold.   Snowmobiling is not so fun with a windchill of -30.   

All of my high school friends must also come from long lines of complainers too.    Its 100% a coping mechanism.   Misery loves company. 

Indeed. Explains why you spend 90% of your time spamming this place.

You are on a roll today!

I have hosted several people on Airbnb from Wisconsin and Minnesota. They were fine with the weather. Winter sports are also very popular up there, meaning people also in addition to coping, learn how to utilize what they have. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yes, and it is well earned as I am sure you will find out in time. ;)

Alright, I'm looking...er.....forward to it....

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I have hosted several people on Airbnb from Wisconsin and Minnesota. They were fine with the weather. Winter sports are also very popular up there, meaning people also in addition to coping, learn how to utilize what they have.

Absolutely... they are big into winter sports. But when it gets cold... everyone there is complaining.

It was beautiful from Autzen Stadium.

We were coming back from the Little North Santiam area. Was there an important game down there yesterday? We noticed a lot of vehicles with Ducks and Beavers flags on them heading south on I-5 in the morning. Clogged up traffic pretty good near Wilsonville.

People like to complain...human nature.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

People like to complain...human nature.

Here, there are the complainers: Tim

The people who complain about the complainers: Most of the forum

Then the people who complain about the people who complain about the complainers: Dewey

I am breaking the fourth wall of complaining right now, complaining about this phenomenon.

• Like 2

Here, there are the complainers: Tim

The people who complain about the complainers: Most of the forum

Then the people who complain about the people who complain about the complainers: Dewey

I am breaking the fourth wall of complaining right now, complaining about this phenomenon.

I read many, many posts complaining about the lack of cold and snow and how every winter will fail and that it does not rain enough, etc.

I could quote probably 50 complaints from people other than me just in the last few days. And reporting on the rainfall totals and conditions does not constitute complaining. Just like reporting on heat and drought is not complaining.

Show me where I have been complaining about the rain over the last 10 days. I actually think it's a good thing and will pay off. Looks like soon.

Guest Dome Buster

Winter weather warning: EUR to be very strong for the Nov to Mid-March timeframe. This pattern will break down after this time period for lots of 34 degree rain.

EUR = Extreme Untidy Ridging

Looks like it will end up being nice in Seattle for the Seahawks game this afternoon. Earlier in the week it looked like this game might be played in heavy rain which would be a distinct advantage for the Hawks against the Chargers.

Winter weather warning: EUR to be very strong for the Nov to Mid-March timeframe. This pattern will break down after this time period for lots of 34 degree rain.

EUR = Extreme Untidy Ridging

Thanks for providing an immediate example. :)

Thought the new c-zone to the north would help us here... but its still raining hard.   It has been pouring since before dawn.    I am sure my 3.5 inch total for the month is no longer valid.    Just went to Safeway and the road in going under at the bottom of the hill with the ditches spilling over.    Hard to tell where you are on the road with the heavy rain and standing water.  

That was around here on Friday. 

Now just mostly cloudy. CZ seems stationary from Mulkiteo to Duvall right now. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

We were coming back from the Little North Santiam area. Was there an important game down there yesterday? We noticed a lot of vehicles with Ducks and Beavers flags on them heading south on I-5 in the morning. Clogged up traffic pretty good near Wilsonville.

Ducks beat UCLA

Beavs lost to the Rubbers

Dawgs beat the trees

Cougars played like and still beat Cal

Unusual to have all 4 NW teams at home. Even less to have all 4 of them win said games (D****T OrSt)

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Ducks beat UCLA

Beavs lost to the Rubbers

Dawgs beat the trees

Cougars played like s**t and still beat Cal

Unusual to have all 4 NW teams at home. Even less to have all 4 of them win said games (D****T OrSt)

Hard to believe every team in the PAC12 standings has at least 3 losses except the Cougs (1) and Huskies (2).

Apple Cup will be for the PAC12 North.

I guess we can watch the East Coast get blessed with cold and stormy weather. Just like last year.

What cold? It’s gonna be 70+ degrees here Tuesday with thunderstorms. Not wintry at all.

A few stray showers left over but otherwise the .17" last night into the morning is the most substantial rainfall of the month so far. And looks to be for a while.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

What cold? It’s gonna be 70+ degrees here Tuesday with thunderstorms. Not wintry at all.

GFS shows multiple storms and a blast of Arctic Air into late next week.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife