January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Yeah and those details don't really matter until we get right close to the event. The big picture is the upper level pattern and I liked what I saw from the GFS tonight.

The upper level pattern at 300+ hours is about as meaningful as precip maps at 200 hours.

Both are too hazy to read into at that distance. :)

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

The upper level pattern at 300+ hours is about as meaningful as precip maps at 200 hours.

Both are too hazy to read into at that distance. :)

I'm not usually this excited about operational runs but right now we got great support from the GEFS AND EPS ensembles in the long range with the retrogression signal.

It does for the CONUS. Thanks to the big -EPO.

But it would be cool - to put it mildly - if -NAO joined the party later.

True. I’m only talking about the quick retrograde/blast for the PNW. The downstream block makes for a much more efficient mass-displacement and retrograde.

If there’s a vortex up there the PGF is zonal and you’re dragging weak positively-tilted troughs into BC while the cold slides east. Not ideal.

I'm not usually this excited about operational runs but right now we got great support from the GEFS AND EPS ensembles in the long range with the retrogression signal.

The last few EPS runs seemed to be backing off on the retrogression idea. Maybe tonight’s will reverse the trend.

This is a hardline issue. Keep it 300+ or 240 extrapolated or keep your TRAP SHUT.

#newyearnewrules

There is a difference, though, between posting a 384 map or saying a run at day 10 looks "promising" or "I like where it's headed".

One is based purely on model output, while the other is based on pattern progression recognition. 

A forum for the end of the world.

I haven’t seen Andrew post the CFS in awhile. Hopefully it’s showing a super duper +PNA now.

Windy. Major storm if the track shifted 100 miles or so south

D59DDDB7-969F-4180-80BA-B9AC6B2BD6BD.gif

Every dang storm is too far north or two far south.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

There is a difference, though, between posting a 384 map or saying a run at day 10 looks "promising" or "I like where it's headed".

One is based purely on model output, while the other is based on pattern progression recognition.

Flatironing in progress!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

EURO es no bueno.

Cancel winter, EURO is awful. What a trashy model.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Greenland/Arctic block on the Euro thru hr144, however the upstream wavetrain is a tiny bit flatter.

Not sure how it will end up. Cold for somebody.

The fun thing about "flatironing" is it can kind of mean whatever you want it to! Nice and easy.

But way to give a reasoned, well-thought out response.

Settle down. Both are a case of sticking your arm a little too far down the rabbit hole. It’s okay. It’s there and it’s fun to do.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I’m going for the CFS, which has time and time again proven much better with weather in general than the crappy EURO and GFS. It handles every snow event absolutely amazingly. Waste of time looking at any other model.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife