January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

MJO over the Maritime Continent once again showing its significance. Best LR tool out there imo

That favors a cold pattern for us? I have some knowledge of the MJO, but it is VERY limited compared to you and Phil. Your analysis of it, how it affects long range patterns is appreciated. 

6z GFS in 1 hour 49 minutes

• Like 1

It’s interesting that Andrew is showing maps that don’t look as good and nobody gets on his case but if Tim was doing that people would be going nuts on him...

Bingo.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That favors a cold pattern for us? I have some knowledge of the MJO, but it is VERY limited compared to you and Phil. Your analysis of it, how it affects long range patterns is appreciated.

6z GFS in 1 hour 49 minutes

When the MJO propagates into the EHem, specifically over the Indian Ocean/Maritime Continent, the jet relaxes and allows heights to rise over the Aleutians. Doesn't guarantee a cold and snowy scenario, but it presents the opportunity. Nice thing about the MJO during an El Nino, is that it can and often will override the current background state, giving us some potential in between the split flow.

I thought we had a chance at something good about a month ago, and while we had some good model runs, nothing ultimately came together except a couple wet flakes that last all of 30 minutes. I've been watching this time frame for weeks... would love to see us all get some snow

• Like 1

With the consistent EPS as the backdrop... it seems like all the models are just figuring it out at their own pace but all headed to the same point.      

And the 00Z EPS is no exception... it has been rock solid and has not wavered.     

eps-z500a-noram-21.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

When the MJO propagates into the EHem, specifically over the Indian Ocean/Maritime Continent, the jet relaxes and allows heights to rise over the Aleutians. Nice thing about the MJO during an El Nino, is that it can and often will override the current background state, giving us some potential cold and snow in between the split flow.

I thought we had a chance at something good about a month ago, and while we had some good model runs, nothing ultimately came together except a couple wet flakes that last all of 30 minutes. I've been watching this time frame for weeks... would love to see us all get some snow

Ahhh, and this favors the -WPO tanking shutting down the Western PAC jet. I get it. This all sounds very promising for us. Thanks.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

• Like 1

Looks nice. Does it drop southward next frame? Thanks for posting all the EPS, ECMWF maps. It is appreciated.

6z GFS in 1 hour 36 minutes

Yep... follows the operational run.   

Looks like the cold is a lock now.  This EPS run was way colder for heights and 850mb temps.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like the cold is a lock now. This EPS run was way colder for heights and 850mb temps.

Hopefully we get some snow during the onset that sticks around for days...or longer!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looks like the cold is a lock now.  This EPS run was way colder for heights and 850mb temps.

Even colder than before? Wow.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Looks like the cold is a lock now. This EPS run was way colder for heights and 850mb temps.

I agree... the EPS has led me to believe this is an absolute lock.

The OP GFS is the warmest model around now and even it still brings -8c 850mbs to PDX and is itself a warm outlier relative to the GFS ensembles. 

I think we're in about as good shape as you really can be 4-5 days out. 

The OP GFS is the warmest model around now and even it still brings -8c 850mbs to PDX and is itself a warm outlier relative to the GFS ensembles.

I think we're in about as good shape as you really can be 4-5 days out.

It’s crazy to think that just what two days ago the ensembles hardly had any members running below 0 mark for the 850’s through the extended.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 NAM compared to 00z air mass is much colder in BC when looking at both the 850/surface temp anomalies and has progressed significantly further south at Day 3.5 nice.

namconus_T850_nwus_53.png

namconus_T850a_nwus_53.png

namconus_T2ma_nwus_15.png

We are moving into NAM territory...it’s getting real now!!

6z NAM compared to 00z air mass is much colder in BC when looking at both the 850/surface temp anomalies and has progressed significantly further south at Day 3.5 nice.

namconus_T850_nwus_53.png

namconus_T850a_nwus_53.png

namconus_T2ma_nwus_15.png

That is some bloody serious cold!  The Fraser outflow will probably be brutal with this.  Often lower level temps are colder than would be expected based on 850s alone with type of air mass.  I still can't believe this kind of cold will be available when so much cold is east of the Rockies at present.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is exciting! Would anyone have expected these model outcomes looking at them a few days ago?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

This is exciting! Would anyone have expected these model outcomes looking at them a few days ago?

The FV3 and ECMWF ensemble were keeping the hope alive when other models backed off.  The FV3 did back off on this cold wave for a couple of runs, but still got it cold eventually on every single run.  Assuming this verifies I would give the FV3 an A-.  This could make tracking coming cold snaps much less dicey in the future.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is some bloody serious cold!  The Fraser outflow will probably be brutal with this.  Often lower level temps are colder than would be expected based on 850s alone with type of air mass.  I still can't believe this kind of cold will be available when so much cold is east of the Rockies at present.

Yep, definitely is!

Can you fix this?

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day