February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

What was your final? what's temp there?

10 inches here.. exactly the same as North Bend which is 570 feet lower.  

Temperature is 25 right now and dead calm... snow is still hanging onto every branch of every tree.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not sure there is much to it anyways... its technically now over me and its not doing anything at all.

Of course its a little harder to tell when its snowing when the entire world out there is all white. :lol:

The bulk of the action is to your south Enumclaw and Maple Valley are receiving snow showers from this band.

Guest Sounder

Someone spotted Cliff Mass walking around with a wig and lipstick on today. Wierd.

Should we keep a tally of how many times he's been right, or would that get in the way of everyone jerking each other off over hating him?
  • Downvote 1

The bulk of the action is to your south Enumclaw and Maple Valley are receiving snow showers from this band.

Looks really light even down there on the traffic cams.   I think I did just see a snowflake though.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My driveway and my one mile commute to work. Not a single car and roads unplowed...love watching the dry snow blowing around behind my truck as I drove in.

F7DAC5CF-F6DB-4BAD-855C-F8DDD829D379.jpeg

65DF9703-0514-472E-96C5-D71E92AD454C.jpeg

• Like 5

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Not sure there is much to it anyways... its technically now over me and its not doing anything at all.  

Of course its a little harder to tell when its snowing when the entire world out there is all white.    :lol:

Been snowing here lightly for the last 30min. I assume it is related to that. :)

FWIW, this is good news for at least a more more normal summer *if* it proves to be persistent. Off-equator NE-Pacific cooling (-PMM tendency) right here. Would help tighten the EPAC ITCZ and displace the 4CH to the SE. The SE-Pacific warming is good news too, as is the modest -SIOD tendency (meaningless at this stage, of course).

Goes to show how wavebreaking in the extratropics of the winter hemisphere can feed-back on the tropics and subtropics of that hemisphere.

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

• Like 2

My driveway and my one mile commute to work. Not a single car and roads unplowed...love watching the dry snow blowing around behind my truck as I drove in.

Awesome photos, man!

I wish conic evergreens grew well here. The way they look in the snow (and hold it) is just perfect.

Another prediction I fear will come true: We will waste pages splitting hairs and debating over whether a few tenths of a degree centigrade in niño 3.4 SSTs made the difference in the outcome of the winter.

Our threshold-bounded empirical orthogonal functions are not suitable for a system that does everything it possibly can to avoid threshold-bounded behavior (when it fails to do so, it’s evident to everyone..no debate needed).

Yeah, I don't think the difference between weak Nino and strongly positive neutral is such that it has any tangible impacts on our weather. All that matters for now is that Nino forcing hasn't kicked in to put its usual death stamp on our late winter.

• Like 1

Baseball season is looming..it’s 55*F and sunny..I could be in the cages shaking off the winter rust.

Instead I’m obsessively tracking a snowstorm on the other side of the continent. I have no life. :lol:

The PNW got a mention today from Ryan Maue:

'Only 25°F in Seattle with light snow. A small piece or lobe of the "polar vortex" escaped British Columbia on a retrograde course down the U.S. West Coast. This is the Pacific NW's version of an "Arctic Blast"'

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1092453435033743360

• Like 1

Those obs out of BLI last night were pretty amazing. That’s something you’d expect to see on the backside of a bombing nor’easter, not a low elevation maritime climate.

I’m officially impressed. Bigly.