February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

00Z NAM looking drier for Sunday and Sunday night for inland areas of western WA... more in agreement with the GFS/WRF/ECMWF/FV3.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Some day we will have a real blast again with big north winds blowing down Puget Sound and a flash freeze in the middle of the day along with a juicy arctic front that dumps a foot of snow in the process.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

So much for the Portland deformation band on the 00Z NAM... more of a Seattle thing.   

namconus_ref_frzn_nwus_49.png

namconus_ref_frzn_nwus_50.png

Portland gets something too!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Portland gets something too!

Passes through very quickly at mid-day on this run.   

Its the NAM though.   The ECMWF has been consistent with it over Portland and even south of there.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You mean Seattle?

No, I meant Portland, as he said the deformation band is now a Seattle thing.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Passes through very quickly at mid-day on this run.   

Its the NAM though.   The ECMWF has been consistent with it over Portland and even south of there.  

eh, I think models struggle to nail the placement of those bands even when within 48 hrs. Wouldn't be surprised to see it at PDX +/- 50 miles. 

Guest Sounder

It won't let me like anymore post because I hit my limit for the day. So it's a way for me to like a post. Others do this as well. I use to just unlike post in previous pages but it takes too much effort.

It's pointless spam that clutters up the board. It doesn't matter if you like a post or not.

• Like 4

It won't let me like anymore post because I hit my limit for the day. So it's a way for me to like a post. Others do this as well. I use to just unlike post in previous pages but it takes too much effort.

Sorry if I sounded annoyed, wasn't my intent, thanks for explaining, was just curious.

• Like 1

I would like to remind everyone to take a few things into consideration:

-Snow maps don't show accumulations. They are somewhat accurate in the sense that they show whether snow reaches the ground or not, but keep in mind that snow maps are under the assumption that every flake sticks, whether its 35F or 28F. They also assume a 10:1 ratio in most cases.

Remember: check your temperatures, time of day, precip intensity, and most importantly, CHECK YOUR DPs!!!

-Convective situations are hard to model. Remember that each individual snow or rain shower won't exist exactly how you see them (or at all) on your favorite weather model, even from two hours out.

If you see random inconspicuous snow holes or piles on your map, don't trust them as gospel; think of them in a more broad sense, like "someone will get something, in this general area", and vice versa.

And don't use the GODDAMN GFS AS CONVECTIVE MODEL LIKE OMG

-Models, believe it or not, change. For better or for worse.

Don't single out individual models or runs to cherrypick data!

And don't assume that the run you are looking at will be anywhere remotely close to what it will be next, unless it is absolutely obvious there is a trend.

Speaking of trends, learn how to spot the difference between actual trends and wobbling, noise, model physics problems, or day/night biases.

Most importantly, THINK CRITICALLY!!

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

-Snow maps don't show accumulations. They are somewhat accurate in the sense that they show whether snow reaches the ground or not, but keep in mind that snow maps are under the assumption that every flake sticks, whether its 35F or 28F. They also assume a 10:1 ratio in most cases.

Remember: check your temperatures, time of day, precip intensity, and most importantly, CHECK YOUR DPs!!!

-Convective situations are hard to model. Remember that each individual snow or rain shower won't exist exactly how you see them (or at all) on your favorite weather model, even from two hours out.

If you see random inconspicuous snow holes or piles on your map, don't trust them as gospel; think of them in a more broad sense, like "someone will get something, in this general area", and vice versa.

And don't assume that the run you are looking at will be anywhere remotely close to what it will be next, unless it is absolutely obvious there is a trend.

Speaking of trends, learn how to spot the difference between actual trends and wobbling, noise, model physics problems, or day/night biases.

Most importantly, THINK CRITICALLY!!

Hey, sensible and logical thinking is not allowed here, geez!!

• Like 3

-Convective situations are hard to model. Remember that each individual snow or rain shower won't exist exactly how you see them (or at all) on your favorite weather model, even from two hours out.

Great post!

The part about the snowfall maps is really good information.     

Another fact: Seattle gets for more days with rain than Miami, New York, Boston, ect. It falls throughout the year.

Yeah, let me know when an east coast city goes 40 days without a single raindrop. ;)

Seattle’s rain does not fall throughout the year, while the east coast’s does. Seattle has a dry season, enough to be considered a “cool Mediterranean” climate in some classification systems.

Guest Sounder

We don't take kindly to reasonable commentary around here, bub.

• Like 2

Snowfall maps probably work much better when cold air is not an issue. Which is likely why the WRF works well for Snowmizer's cabin.

But cold air is usually an issue on this side of the mountains. And it certainly is an issue for this upcoming event since the models have been showing highs above freezing every day. When you see the ECMWF showing 2 inches of snow and a temp in the mid to upper 30s... you can assume that probably does not mean 2 inches of actual accumulation. But we almost always focus on the total snowfall maps without considering that.

-Convective situations are hard to model. Remember that each individual snow or rain shower won't exist exactly how you see them (or at all) on your favorite weather model, even from two hours out.

Most importantly, THINK CRITICALLY!!

Good write up. Models will likely change right up until the event and even then you can get surprises.

This is the place where R2D2 and WD40 models exist along with the gorton fisherman and the land of constant troughs. Logic is the antichrist here.
  • Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

ICON final caved, in terms of being a lot warmer...

On the other hand it has a nice deformation band over the valley Monday night/Tuesday AM. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.