2/11 - 2/13 Major Winter Storm

Tom

To Tom's maps-- Man that's a hell of bust in SW IA compared to the latest RAP and HRRR- yeah I know on HRRR and RAP- but they are getting in some range

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

To Tom's maps-- Man that's a hell of bust in SW IA compared to the latest RAP and HRRR- yeah I know on HRRR and RAP- but they are getting in some range

Even the King will bust big near DSM from just 12-24 hours ago...amazing how much this thing has shifted E with the heavy snows...that's a punch in the gut after days and days being in the jackzone to have it shift so dramatically inside 48 hours.

• Like 1

WinterStorm Watch issued for SEMI...for significant snow and ice.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

DVN forecast map actually has me just inside the 8-10” mark, but I think 6-8” seems like an okay bet at this time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it end up around the 8” mark, but also wouldn’t be surprised to see it end up less than 6”, because that seems like it’s been a tough mark to get over this year!

• Like 1

00z Euro...ice accumulation...hoping we end up a degree or two colder around here...

Not as bad as the 0z Nam was showing but still enough ice to make it suck. Not sure what to expect with the snow portion but at least models are showing some snow. Wisconsin looking real good with this storm.

• Like 1

These bigger storms are showing major last-minute south/east shifts this year.  I just hope this one is done shifting.  If the ratio is decent, I could see my best snowfall of the season.  My best so far is only 4.8".

There is still a widespread range of qpf for eastern Iowa... from 0.50 to over 1.00".  Considering we've been forecasted to received 6-8" a few times already in the last month, but each time ended up with only 3-5", I'm going to guess I will get 5 inches from this.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

These bigger storms are showing major last-minute south/east shifts this year.  I just hope this one is done shifting.  If the ratio is decent, I could see my best snowfall of the season.  My best so far is only 4.8".

There is still a widespread range of qpf for eastern Iowa... from 0.50 to over 1.00".  Considering we've been forecasted to received 6-8" a few times already in the last month, but each time ended up with only 3-5", I'm going to guess I will get 5 inches from this.

It really has been amazing.  The year of the SE movement

• Like 1

These bigger storms are showing major last-minute south/east shifts this year. I just hope this one is done shifting. If the ratio is decent, I could see my best snowfall of the season. My best so far is only 4.8".

There is still a widespread range of qpf for eastern Iowa... from 0.50 to over 1.00". Considering we've been forecasted to received 6-8" a few times already in the last month, but each time ended up with only 3-5", I'm going to guess I will get 5 inches from this.

My thoughts as well. 6-8 seems like a good forecast, but I have felt that way several times this year, only to fall jussstt short of that 6” mark. Seems like the best way to approach these storms is to usually take an inch or two off the forecast, and that’s where it will usually end up at. Hope to be wrong this time, though! Either way, it’s going to be a nice snowfall, and I won’t complain about that.

I hope the wetter nature of this snow will help to prevent the ratio-killing wind-swept compaction of previous bigger storms.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Nickle n diming my way to avg. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another 3 incher here.

I am at 28 inches for the season, so this storm will put me over average, which is about 31 inches.