2/11 - 2/13 Major Winter Storm

Tom

Latest DVN graphic

DzJyJRYWwAIQdyW.jpg

Would not be shocked at all if this verifies. Most models have been holding their strength up in my ares of the woods, which is encouraging.

At the time time, would also not be surprised if it doesn’t verify, because those kinds of totals are rare around here.

Either way, we’re going to see a darn good snowfall here. And thankfully a good amount should actually happen before I fall asleep!

• Like 1

30+ dBZ over me with 40 dBZ just to my southeast. Nice big flakes... moderate to heavy snow. Up to around 1" now.

OT but I think I chased the storm in your PFP. July 21st 2017? Looked real nice before deciding going OD was the best possible course of action.

7FABD60F-67EB-4062-8A14-671F8D56159E.jpeg

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Some of the better wording out of my office. Makes for an unusually nice read. Whether it comes to pass or not, only time will tell.

I’m supposed to get up to 8” total with near blizzard conditions Tuesday night, but the WSW is one county North of me. WWA only here. I do well with NW flow off the lake. Wouldn’t be surprised to see my county added later.

• Like 1

OT but I think I chased the storm in your PFP. July 21st 2017? Looked real nice before deciding going OD was the best possible course of action.

Yep... you're exactly right. That was an awesome supercell headed right for me. Part of that wall cloud passed right overhead. If it would've dropped a tornado it would've been to close for comfort! Schnack's chat quit just before that sometime so wasn't able to share photos on there , but would've loved to. Got a lot more pics. Was your photo taken on the Angle Rd near Williamstown? Maps show that name, but it's now called Frytown, 2 miles north of me

Off topic, but oh well.

Probably way off on amounts from Chicago on north unless this model is showing mostly freezing rain/ice/sleet.

RPM model paints 4-5" across N Cook, 1-4" across DuPage, and 4-8" across Lake/McHenry county while the HRRR is showing much more across I-80/88 corridor...its going to come down to a nowcast event.  I'm expecting 3-4" from this with anything more being a bonus.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

Once the snow really got going, the flakes were medium to large.  Eventually it went to pixie dust, then back to small/medium.  Radar currently shows a thin band of yellow lifting up into Cedar Rapids.  There should be some nice fatties in there.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I have a feeling this is the one to get us to 6". It's been puking snow here and never really stopped. Flakes are pretty small right now though. Probably 1.75" in IC already. That band of orange that passed over me earlier was really something. 

Yep... you're exactly right. That was an awesome supercell headed right for me. Part of that wall cloud passed right overhead. If it would've dropped a tornado it would've been to close for comfort! Schnack's chat quit just before that sometime so wasn't able to share photos on there , but would've loved to. Got a lot more pics. Was your photo taken on the Angle Rd near Williamstown? Maps show that name, but it's now called Frytown, 2 miles north of me

Off topic, but oh well.

I was on some random hill north of Riverside. Not sure where lol.

• Like 1

About 2 inches have fallen from this system in my backyard in Southwest Omaha, NE. Looks like a general 1 to 2 inches fell across the Omaha metro this afternoon (Craig’s backyard seems to be the hotspot with 3”). My drive home from Council Bluffs was a slow slog, took almost an hour to get home (normally 20-25 minutes on a clear day).

Will be interesting to see if we get any additional backside development as the snow has stopped for now here.

• Like 1

There's a report of 2.5" north of Cedar Rapids.  How did they get that much already?

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Flakes are small, but coming down at a good rate here in Dubuque. The green returns keep fading a little before heading into my area, but I won’t be too distraught, as the models seem to indicate the heavier stuff holding off a little. And it’s still accumulating well, even with the small flakes.