2/11 - 2/13 Major Winter Storm

Tom

00z UK

This is at least as juicy as the FV3 for eastern Iowa... over an inch of precip.  It still has 0.6" back to Des Moines.

us_model-en-087-0_modgbr_2019021100_60_5660_220.png

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Incredible. Local Mets are going to take heat on this one once again. Models were never even remotely close to this unreliable back in the early 2000s. What has happened?

I would somewhat disagree -- models have gotten better. But analyzing them and with good olde analytical forecasting is a lost art. too many model worship without being able to tell the why's and whats of the atmosphere interactions -- without models.  A good % of mets would be lost without models. They never learned (or forgot) how to forecast without them.... That's where the flip flopping comes from.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

NWS thinks a 4-6" w some ice looks like a safe bet for SEMI. Although, changes can still happen. We will see!. As for now, looks messy.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

It's not a lost cause yet, Lincoln and Omaha are either going to be in the heavy band or miss it just too the south by one county. Still some time for things to change!

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

00z UK

This is at least as juicy as the FV3 for eastern Iowa... over an inch of precip.  It still has 0.6" back to Des Moines.

attachicon.gifus_model-en-087-0_modgbr_2019021100_60_5660_220.png

Not as bad as I thought. And here I go looking at models :o) --- in all seriousness- I don't think the E trend is over. Storm is more progressive (at least here) before it slows down to the E.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It's not a lost cause yet, Lincoln and Omaha are either going to be in the heavy band or miss it just too the south by one county. Still some time for things to change!

Yeah like I said before, models always drastically decrease totals then radar comes along and proves them wrong. That's been the case for most storms here this year. It's not over till it's over imo.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It's too bad this system can't wrap up a little earlier.  The snow in Iowa largely comes in a single wave rather than a robust deformation zone that curls back and keeps the snow falling for a long duration.  Wisconsin will be in line to get that.  It should be a pretty intense wave, though.  It's too bad it'll mostly fall between 6pm and 2am, just like all bigger storms.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Better off going with the 3KM at this range... My gut call in IA- is warnings E of I-35 and North of Hwy 34. WWA further W with likely a cold bologna sandwich for NW IA.

• Like 1

Better off going with the 3KM at this range... My gut call in IA- is warnings E of I-35 and North of Hwy 34. WWA further W with likely a cold bologna sandwich for NW IA.

CYA for counties near DSM-- but just as I said. (expect the warnings W of DSM to be downgraded.)

It seems I have a better chance of 6" with WWA than WSW-- been that way for the last 2 years + -- I see no way warming material will be met here. 

The trends over the past 24 hours are now beginning to shift SE as the models are now all coming into agreement that the southern piece coming off the main vorticity is tracking farther S across the S Plains across the TX Panhandle region as they all collect better data.  Check out the last 8 runs off the GFS 500mb map below and one will notice how much farther S this energy is tracking and is now dictating the SE trend.  By far, the UKIE model was the best at handling this one IMO.

Locally speaking, this may be paying dividends across N IL as the GFS is coming in colder/snowier....I'm still worried about the warm layer and this may in fact just end up being a nowcast event....#nailbiter

snku_acc.us_mw.png

DzH5qy0WsAAvy8e.jpg

• Like 2