March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

The EPS keeps the strong vortex pattern going thru D15, however the El Niño flavor is becoming evident with time as the MJO structurally aligns with the developing niño base state.

This signature should strengthen and move poleward somewhat as the season progresses.

rFjuijP.png

I hope we have a summer peak on ENSO which has happened a number of times in recent years.  We could at least get down to reasonable levels by fall and winter.  I feel the table is set for greatness next winter if ENSO isn't too over the top.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The models are promising the wind will give out fairly early tonight. I sure hope so. Can't wait too see how the temp will tank with this bone dry air that is totally entrenched now. Current dp is 14 here.

ECMWF shows the wind still going at 5 a.m. tomorrow morning...

ecmwf-slp-uv10m-washington-5.png

Then the flow switches to solidy onshore by tomorrow afternoon and the dewpoint jumps up into the upper 40s by 5 p.m.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Who broke the PNW climate??

It has been pretty wild.  Some decades get really off track like this and stay that way for a while.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Some people on here want Midwest-like weather.   They got their wish.     Cold and snowy... windy and warm... lots of sunshine... and a complete lack of our normal Pacific fronts.  And now brush fires in March.   We got it all.   Enjoy!     

I hate it. When it's 40 degrees with 30% humidity and the east wind is burning your eyes and cracking your lips, who cares if the UV2 sun is out? Rain is far more exciting. Unfortunately there hasn't been nearly enough of it this winter.

Looking forward to 60ºF averages and spring showers. At least being outside is actually pleasant. Ideally I'd like some heavier rainfall but I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

I hate it. When it's 40 degrees with 30% humidity and the east wind is burning your eyes and cracking your lips, who cares if the UV2 sun is out? Rain is far more exciting. Unfortunately there hasn't been nearly enough of it this winter.

Looking forward to 60ºF averages and spring showers. At least being outside is actually pleasant. Ideally I'd like some heavier rainfall but I'll take what I can get.

I was doing some yardwork this afternoon and the wind was just right to keep it comfortable... otherwise it would have felt hot.

Also got some color... definitely getting to the time of the year now when you feel the effects of the sun even after you come inside.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

These photos are 2 months late.

Not really... I checked and I posted pics on 3/13/18 that looked just like today.   So only about a week behind last year now.    That seemed impossible earlier this month.   But jumping ahead quickly now.

I was doing some yardwork this afternoon and the wind was just right to keep it comfortable... otherwise it would have felt hot.

Also got some color... definitely getting to the time of the year now when you feel the effects of the sun even after you come inside.

The wind certainly feel really good. I took a walk at work this afternoon and it didn’t feel too uncomfortable despite being in the high 70’s. Very different from the summer offshore where it’s actually hot. The drive home from work was good as well across Lake Wa. with the wind, so no AC needed.

Very different than summer wildfires. This is more like the Midwest right now where the peak fire season is in early spring before vegetation leafs out... and fires often pop up with dry. warm, windy weather in March and early April.

The fact that there are some fires around here now is another indication of how unusual our weather had been for almost 2 months... very continental.

It’s hard to tell whether or not these were deliberately set, with the wind today all it needed is a cigarette butt to start a brush fire. There’s a lot of brown grass.

It has been a dry winter despite the snow in February. SEA is -2” in rainfall since Oct.1. And so far ~9.5” of rain since Jan.1 when we should typically see ~11.5” by now.

I just hope this doesn’t linger into the summer as I don’t want another smoky summer.

It’s hard to tell whether or not these were deliberately set, with the wind today all it needed is a cigarette butt to start a brush fire. There’s a lot of brown grass.

It has been a dry winter despite the snow in February. SEA is -2” in rainfall since Oct.1. And so far ~9.5” of rain since Jan.1 when we should typically see ~11.5” by now.

I just hope this doesn’t linger into the summer as I don’t want another smoky summer.

Nobody wants a smoky summer.  

But the fires are really a side effect of the cold... everything was pushed into dormancy and now we have a couple days of warm, windy weather and low humidity.   If it had not been so cold for so long... it would have greened up much earlier regardless of total rain over the winter and there would be no fires.

Nobody wants a smoky summer.  

But the fires are really a side effect of the cold... everything was pushed into dormancy and now we have a couple days of warm, windy weather and low humidity.   If it had not been so cold for so long... it would have greened up much earlier regardless of total rain over the winter and there would be no fires.

Here’s to hoping for a cool damp spring then!

• Like 1

Alot of people assumed that the snow we had was enough to keep things safe to burn, they did not pay attention the the lack of rain and the extreme easterly dry wind the last few days. Then it became too late once they lit their piles on fire.

70, 72, 74 the past three days here. A couple small patches of snow remain on my lawn. My daughter seemed quite happy to be stomping in the snow in July like temperatures

My daughter was was doing the same yesterday! Probably 1-2 more days and it will be completely gone.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Topped out at 83 today here. Wow!! Was 79 in Olympia during my doctors visit.

You were in the sweet spot.

78 in North Bend today... and 76 here.

I hear frogs out there for the first time this year.

I noticed them tonight too. I was also eaten alive by mosquitoes this evening. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Feeling a smoky April!

Yep...Everyone will burning their wet branches that fell during the wind and snow storms. That will be the source of all the smoke coming.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looks like it has decoupled here now.  Already 8 degrees lower than my morning low of 65.  Yesterday I put up a ridiculous +23 for my daily departure.  The last 6 weeks or so has been unlike anything we've had in a very long time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Kind of interesting looking at the 0z GFS.  A few different variations of a 150 ridge coming up.  Nothing even resembling normal at the 500mb level anywhere in sight.  Hard to not be a wee bit intrigued by everything that's going on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just realized something.  We are about to enter another WWB centered on 180 and it's going to trigger a ridge around 150 similar to the last one that brought all of the cold weather.  A pretty strange regime when the tropics being in a normally unfavorable state for cold in the NW is delivering 150 blocks.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just realized something.  We are about to enter another WWB centered on 180 and it's going to trigger a ridge around 150 similar to the last one that brought all of the cold weather.  A pretty strange regime when the tropics being in a normally unfavorable state for cold in the NW is delivering 150 blocks.

So more inane arctic bullcrap for the Northwest?

Yay...

Perhaps we'll have another April 7th windstorm this year? Like the last year and year before? I'm rooting for it (sorry Bryant).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I think for as long as you’ve been posting here I’ve yet to see a weather pattern you seem to be happy about for more than a day or two.

Okay. To get something clear.

I am absolutely happy about the normal spring weather coming up and I will be content with it for as long as it lasts.

I am happy to see both PDX and Hillsboro finally break records today.

I am happy about rain, which despite its reputation Portland has been completely devoid of for the last month.

I’m done with 40s and don’t want to see another 40 until November.

I’m really sorry that my mood has shifted towards ranty this late February and early March. I’m just antsy about Portland missing every interesting weather event and just staying stuck in dry sub-50 east windy chilly garbage. I’ll try to calm my tone down in future posts.

• Like 2

I really feel sorry for the crocuses this year. First of all ours came up super late compared to normal and now the dry wind has caused them to wither after blooming for three days.

Uh huh..

You’re a sadistic f**k. ;)