May 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Current conditions are cloudy w temps remaining into the 50s. UGH!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Interstate 29 has once again closed down to St. Joseph due to flooding. It had just reopened a few weeks ago after the March floods.

That surprises me. I drove down to KC about a week and a half ago and the water wasn't anywhere close to the freeway, nor was there any standing water in fields.

What DOESN'T surprise me is that 34 and 2 are both closed again. I used the 2 to get to the 29 and the water was right up to the shoo-fly they built.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

That surprises me. I drove down to KC about a week and a half ago and the water wasn't anywhere close to the freeway, nor was there any standing water in fields.

What DOESN'T surprise me is that 34 and 2 are both closed again. I used the 2 to get to the 29 and the water was right up to the shoo-fly they built.

Doing more dam releases and Platte is high again.

I know that, trust me, I'm paying attention too. I'm just surprised that the river rose THAT much.

Lol just wanted to point that out. Anyways my mom drove back last Friday said the water was up to 29 at spots. All I know is we are going on a family vacation to Branson at the end of June and hope it's open. I hate 75 lol
  • Like 1

A very busy afternoon in North Texas. Heavy rain, wind, hail and 4 tornados seen ont he ground and a 5th not yet confirmed that I just heard about on TV. My area SW of Ft. Worth only received heavy rain about 3/4". It came down fast and moved on. But N and NE of Ft. Worth was hammered with high wind and the tornados.

These were amazing low supercells that just moved over us in silence the dropped the hammer. Amazing.

The tornado near Canton, Tx. NE of Dallas was a multi vortex tornado.

I've been trying to locate a photo. But the one on TV was stunning.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

No summer here yet....

current.TAIR.grad (2).png

today.TAIR.min.grad.png

today.TAIR.max.grad.png

Crazy, rainy, stormy spring continues. Flood watches and tornadic storms within 40 miles every other day, 2 or 4 is more like out west than here.

I'm almost very sure there will be consequences in 6 months from this whacky weather weirdness but I haven't figured out what they'll be yet.

• Like 2

Sirens are going off in Cedar Rapids, although the warning ends just sw of CR.  Whether or not there's a tornado, it's a potent little cell.  These cells are moving pretty slowly.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Looks to me like all CR will get is light rain blowing north from the storms.  The CR airport down toward IC looks like a better spot for storm action.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The airport is getting pretty heavy rain.  Better returns are trying to move farther north in CR, but it's still light here on the west side.

Flash flood warning for CR, but most of the city is not getting much.  I've only received 0.14" and it's done.  The heavy cell is parked over the airport.

This is truly comical. All of the storms are moving northeast except for this one. Cedar Rapids totally has a dome when it comes to severe weather. 

At this rate, Cedar Rapids will not see any severe weather this summer. What a joke!

• Like 1