May 2019 Weather Discussion PNW

I said this yesterday.

Smoldering wood embers aren’t flames.

I don’t get why this is so hard to grasp?

And this.

Embers can smolder in dry air pockets where fuel moisture remains dry..but flames don’t burn underground. They’d smother out.

Hoping for some type of a convective event soon. There was some Thunderstorms here with decent sized ice pellets on 11/27 of last year but nothing since then.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It has been raining since about 3pm but it is so warm/dry out that it is evaporating just as quick as it rains

Yeah it really hasn’t amounted to much yet.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Facts are a bítch. Learn to deal, kk?

I have zero interest in maintaining a “reputation” on a weather forum (whatever that means). I only care about what is and isn’t scientifically accurate. The last thing I thought I’d be debating on a western forum was the definition of fire, and be attacked over it (for multiple weeks) but then again, nothing surprises me here anymore.

If that triggers you, not my problem. Enjoy your trip to Europe.

For the record I don’t actually want to see you on mod preview. It would be nice if the rules here were applied the same way to everyone, though. That was more my point.

As for the “debate”, it seems like the flame versus smoldering thing is pretty semantics based. I don’t think you and Shawnigan even necessarily disagree. It seems like all that happened was you doubted the ability for combustion to happen under the snow period at first and then rather than just admitting that you learned something new you moved the argument to be more about the strict definition of a flame, then the six to one half dozen to the other stuff really took off. I will readily admit that I wasn’t aware that fires could smolder under snow pack until Shawnigan posted that article.

• Like 1

You said that in response like he said there was flames underground, he did not, can't deny that. He never said there was flames underground but yet you created your own argument like he did, poor form phil.

That’s because he adopted my argument from last month after telling me I was wrong. I assumed he believes a smoldering fire works the same way an open fire does. Which it doesn’t.

This was the context of my first post.

IEldyuU.jpg

I’m probably going to be lambasted again in here tonight over the smoldering embers/flame thing.

I was working under the assumption that we were debating open gaseous fires, which always have flames. If we weren’t, that’s on me.

Are we going to be burning the midnight oil over this tonight?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

If someone needed to provide an example of egoism, these last 5 pages would do it!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Are we going to be burning the midnight oil over this tonight?

Your midnight oil is my 3AM oil, so I hope not. And I have to wake up at 5AM for a job tomorrow. Last thing I want is to be half asleep and take a chainsaw kickback to the chest.

At least this place would finally be rid of me.

I’m probably going to be lambasted again in here tonight over the smoldering embers/flame thing.

I was working under the assumption that we were debating open gaseous fires, which always have flames. If we weren’t, that’s on me.

It's on you, get some sleep bucko, hope your early job goes well in the morning!!

It's on you, get some sleep bucko, hope your early job goes well in the morning!!

Thanks bucko. Good thing I have a functioning back that doesn’t require surgery. Otherwise I’d be in trouble.

I had one of those at your age... just sayin!

Yep...I don’t know many people (any really) that have been in the landscaping field for any lengthy duration of time that do not have major back issues now...It will catch up to Phil like it does everyone else, myself included.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

0.59" of rain the past two days. More than we had all of last May, which was one of the driest May's on record. Was finally able to light the burn pile this evening. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Back in the day people would get put on mod preview now and then. It was a process which seemed to work.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Satellite rainfall estimates from May 2018 across BC, juxtaposed on the model precipitation forecasts, suggest that is physically impossible.

Just like forest fires raging under snowpack all winter is physically impossible. Even in BC.

I’m all for it.

But think about this. You’re arguing (correctly) that 2+2=4 while you have five other people arguing (incorrectly) that 2+2=5, and tag-teaming you with insults and revisionist history. What would you do?

Sure, I jabbed the guy yesterday, because we had this debate a month ago and he brought it up again, with obvious intent to goad a reply from me.

Seems like you brought it up yesterday. Not me. But anyway

Seems like you brought it up yesterday. Not me. But anyway

Could be a resolution issue since you were talking about a localized shower or squall or whatever.

Another beautiful morning... and did not get any rain at all last night.  

Appears that the big event for the week will be starting soon and initially aided by daytime heating.   It should continue through most of the night as well.   The 00Z ECMWF showed everything winding down for the central sound by 5 a.m. tomorrow with an active c-zone stretching from SW to NE up through Snohomish and Skagit Counties.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Appears that the big event for the week will be starting soon and initially aided by daytime heating. It should continue through most of the night as well. The 00Z ECMWF showed everything winding down for the central sound by 5 a.m. tomorrow with an active c-zone stretching from SW to NE up through Snohomish and Skagit Counties.

What did the euro look like up here. GFS and NAM this morning look almost completely dry

What did the euro look like up here. GFS and NAM this morning look almost completely dry

Yeah... so was ECMWF for your area.   This is 11 a.m. today through 11 a.m. tomorrow.

Although it looks like quite an event for almost all of eastern WA.

ecmwf-precip-24-washington-8.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

52 here with some fog this morning. Probably got 0.05” of rain yesterday.The rain the last couple days hasn't been enough to put a dent in the deficit so far here obviously but hopefully soon!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Nws Seattle still mentions the possibility of instability in the cascades and the far south portion of W.WA possibly but even that looks minor at best for today with the cloud cover.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Appears that the big event for the week will be starting soon and initially aided by daytime heating. It should continue through most of the night as well. The 00Z ECMWF showed everything winding down for the central sound by 5 a.m. tomorrow with an active c-zone stretching from SW to NE up through Snohomish and Skagit Counties.

Today was supposed to be a mostly dry day with lots of sun for most the area, per Tim of two or three days ago.

A forum for the end of the world.

Today was supposed to be a mostly dry day with lots of sun for most the area, per Tim of two or three days ago.

Per the ECMWF. Don't be a jerk. The timing has moved up a little bit.

Its beautiful out there now.

20190516-075934.jpg

And the faster timing means that most of tomorrow will be dry for the Seattle area. Earlier runs had the rain going strong until around noon.

20190516-075934.jpg

And the faster timing means that most of tomorrow will be dry for the Seattle area. Earlier runs had the rain going strong until around noon.

either way there’s going to be some good times to go out and enjoy the weather in between fronts over the next week.
  • Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

either way there’s going to be some good times to go out and enjoy the weather in between fronts over the next week.

Definitely.

20190516-075934.jpg

Not being a jerk...just pointing out the fallability of the Euro, even at short range. :)

A forum for the end of the world.

Not being a jerk...just pointing out the fallability of the Euro, even at short range. :)

Just timing.  And even a slight shift in timing can make a big difference during the afternoon hours in terms of high temps.