July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

12z GFS definitely looks a little more humid (for us) next week with more moisture and SW flow. Could be a lot of lows in the 60s.

Definitely interesting how warm the lows have been this year (at least since the cold period ended in March). June didn’t go below 50 once at PDX.

The only time we really had cold lows was that weird “sunny troughing” pattern in late April.

Definitely interesting how warm the lows have been this year (at least since the cold period ended in March). June didn’t go below 50 once at PDX.

The only time we really had cold lows was that weird “sunny troughing” pattern in late April.

PDX is pretty UHI infested these days. I got into the 40s a handful of times in June.

But yes, aside from late April there really haven't been many patterns that have inordinately favored much cooler than average lows since mid-March.

A warm up is back on the ensembles, but it has been delayed by about a week since its last incarnation. Wonder if that will be a theme this summer. I’m sure we will get hot again eventually.

Definitely the best GEFS support yet for the second trough and possible rainfall next week.

BA5F75D2-D1A0-4E2E-B27E-B1A0A3237D30.png

61 and mostly cloudy with the sun starting to break through. Looks like an excellent 4th coming up. Looks like there’s a wet pattern is coming up. Looks really wet up in Southern BC and western WA and OR look to get some too...if it verifies.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

If hot summers mean cold winters, then cool summers mean....

We all know about the summer of 1993 in the PNW, but rainy season that year didn’t start until December, and 93-94 wasn’t exactly a great winter for snow, at least at PDX. December and January were mostly blowtorches.

But then again 92-93 was a very good winter for most of the PNW.

We all know about the summer of 1993 in the PNW, but rainy season that year didn’t start until December, and 93-94 wasn’t exactly a great winter for snow, at least at PDX. December and January were mostly blowtorches.

But then again 92-93 was a very good winter for most of the PNW.

A completely random one year sample size. Intriguing!

1998 was a fairly warm summer. 98-99 was the best mountain snow year on record.

1999 was a cool summer. 99-00 was a mediocre winter.

2000 was a cool summer. 00-01 was an awful winter.

I can dig up loads of examples, but I think I’ve made my point.

There have been many hot summers recently like 2014 and 2015 that have been followed by awful winters, and cooler summers like 2008 and 2010 that have been followed by great ones. See I can cherry pick recent years to find results that support my claim too. ;)

Generally speaking, though, back in our region’s last era of great winters cool summers were the norm. Check out summer 1948, 1949, 1955, 1956, 1964 or 1968. Would probably make you cry.

There have been many hot summers recently like 2014 and 2015 that have been followed by awful winters, and cooler summers like 2008 and 2010 that have been followed by great ones. See I can cherry pick recent years to find results that support my claim too. ;)

Generally speaking, though, back in our region’s last era of great winters there were some pretty cool summers. Check out summer 1949, 1955, 1964 or 1968. Would probably make you cry.

As I've said before, I'm not afraid of a cool summer. There's a 2011 for every 2015, a 1983 for every 1985, and that's how you get an average.  ;)

Persistent ridging is bad and persistent troughing is also bad. Persistent ridging causes drought and wildfires, and persistent troughing... ask a farmer in the Midwest. Widespread crop failures this year because of flooding.

As I've said before, I'm not afraid of a cool summer. There's a 2011 for every 2015, a 1983 for every 1985, and that's how you get an average. ;)

Persistent ridging is bad and persistent troughing is also bad. Persistent ridging causes drought and wildfires, and persistent troughing... ask a farmer in the Midwest. Widespread crop failures this year because of flooding.

This is kind of veering off topic. We were discussing summer/winter correlations.

• Like 2

Stop cherrypicking.

Summer 2008 -> 2008/09 winter

Summer 2010 -> 2010/11 winter

Summer 2011 -> 2011/12 winter.

Versus:

Summer 2009 -> 2009/10 winter

Summer 2014 -> 2014/15 winter

Summer 2015 -> 2015/16 winter

• Like 3

Pretty amazing how the 4CH is held at bay the entirety of the 12Z Euro. Gotta wonder how long that can hold, really not a look I'm used to seeing on the models in recent summers.

The more retracted EPAC Hadley Cell this year made a weaker 4CH much more likely..also the death of the Baffin Island vortex/+NAO, which seemed impossible after the last several years.

• Like 1

Why do you guys seem to have so much optimism for this winter?

What else can you have but resigned optimism? There is not evidence this winter will be a bad one. Especially since every one of the past four winters has given us something. It's just depressing having pessimism about next winter when there are no signs whatsoever that it will be a flop.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

You guys seem to be fairly confident that it will be cold and snowy for the PNW. I don’t get it.

I haven't seen any recent posts making predictions about the upcoming winter.

What else can you have but resigned optimism? There is not evidence this winter will be a bad one. Especially since every one of the past four winters has given us something. It's just depressing having pessimism about next winter when there are no signs whatsoever that it will be a flop.

2018-19 had a crap November-January and then we got missed all February just getting useless dry cold. Garbage precipitation throughout. Very few good things to say about this winter in the western metro area.

2017-18 was a bit better for PDX but still had a torching January. Precipitation wasn't exactly great.

2016-17 was good, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, winters that good are a very rare miracle.

15-16 had that EPIC December, but other than that was mostly warm trash.

14-15 is self explanatory.

13-14 was the last real Arctic Blast.

Two years of drier than normal weather thus far with no sign of it ending. December and January are virtually guaranteed torches nowadays, and February is the only cold month. Not much good skiing before February, either. And of course, whenever interesting weather of any kind is shown on the models, it's always fun to guess whether it'll hit Seattle or Eugene.

You guys seem to be fairly confident that it will be cold and snowy for the PNW. I don’t get it.

I don’t think it will be. We are due for a dud.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2018-19 had a crap November-January and then we got missed all February just getting useless dry cold. Garbage precipitation throughout. Very few good things to say about this winter in the western metro area.

2017-18 was a bit better for PDX but still had a torching January. Precipitation wasn't exactly great.

2016-17 was good, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, winters that good are a very rare miracle.

Two years of drier than normal weather thus far with no sign of it ending. December and January are virtually guaranteed torches nowadays, and February is the only cold month. Not much good skiing before February, either. And of course, whenever interesting weather of any kind is shown on the models, it's always fun to guess whether it'll hit Seattle or Eugene.

We had a very cold Feb/March last year, a great February and a White Christmas the year before, 2016-2017 is self-explanatory, 15-16 gave us an inch or two in January, and I agree about 2014-2015. But it really hasn't been that bad.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

It’s honestly too early for anyone to really make any prediction. All we can do is try to look at similar years and see what followed them. It’s hard to say though some years a cool summer didn’t yield good results some years it does.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s honestly too early for anyone to really make any prediction. All we can do is try to look at similar years and see what followed them. It’s hard to say though some years a cool summer didn’t yield good results some years it does.

Who even knows if this will be a cool summer though. NWS is still predicting warmer than average conditions throughout summer.

Keep in mind here that your definition of a "good" winter seems to be different than just about everyone else on this forum.

• Like 1