July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Ask some farmers in the Midwest how great it is to have persistent troughing...

Neither persistent troughing nor persistent ridging are good things. They both come with their own array of problems.

Don't feed the animals.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hopefully there will never be ridging again.

Ridges are pure evil. They serve no purpose except to make life miserable.

I’m ready for some big fat ridging!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Picture this afternoon up above blewett pass this afternoon. Wasn’t a crystal clear day but still good enough to get some photos of Mt.stuart to the NW.

5CE96A0A-2A71-4B75-8DDC-4A465C0D7FD3.png

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Good Lord. I don't hide anything. Just being cordial like I have been all along... totally understanding how people in other areas would have different perspectives. I would too!

Cordial lol, wow, you were at a level not seen by you in years the other day, cordial my a**!!

Cordial lol, wow, you were at a level not seen by you in years the other day, cordial my a**!!

Interesting.   Who did I attack?   :huh:

Pretty sure I was saying that I agreed with Jesse and Andrew and understood why they like this pattern.     ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Monday also looks a little better... at least on the surface maps.  

The 00Z run last night actually showed a decent rain event that day... which showed up on my phone forecast today as well.   That is all up in BC for the most part on this run.

I think the nutcase comment you made the other day was probably the rudest thing anyone has said to him this week.

What’s wrong with being a nutcase?

I’m a bit of a nutcase. That one other guy is too.

So elitist...

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That sucks. Precip map?

Through Thursday afternoon... looks a little wetter than the 12Z run despite the slight westward shift at the 500mb level.   Lots of tropical moisture in play with this system so the 500mb heights are probably not a big factor.     And Thursday is actually dry and quite warm... mid to upper 70s in Seattle and around 80 down there.

ecmwf-washington-total-precip-inch-28896

Interesting. Who did I attack? :huh:

Pretty sure I was saying that I agreed with Jesse and Andrew and understood why they like this pattern. ;)

I didn't say you attacked anyone at all, maybe go back and read your own posts over the last 5 days, nevermind, you are oblivious to your behavior, but those of that know the real you are not.

I didn't say you attacked anyone at all, maybe go back and read your own posts over the last 5 days, nevermind, you are oblivious to your behavior, but those of that know the real you are not.

Yeah... and I was quite "cordial".   I really do understand why they like this pattern because I would too if I lived down there.    

Its quite nice to scroll through the ECMWF surface maps and see the 11 a.m. temps each day already warmer than most of the high temps here over the last week.   I keep thinking I am looking at the high temp for the day and its only the high temp through 11 a.m. and I have to click one more frame... I have become accustomed to the crap.  

Yeah... and I was quite "cordial". I really do understand why they like this pattern because I would too if I lived down there.

I am not talking about "them", whomever they are, you went off the deep end for the first time in a long time, it is ok Tim, tuck that tail and head east again.

I am not talking about "them", whomever they are, you went off the deep end for the first time in a long time, it is ok Tim, tuck that tail and head east again.

You said I was not "cordial" to people... but I was.   And I am.  

Side note... the insane traffic over Snoqualmie Pass on Friday afternoons and Sunday evenings during the summer with all the RVs and campers and boats seems to indicate there are many people who are fond of "heading east" to sun and heat on the weekends around here.    Nothing wrong with that.   ;)

Side note... the insane traffic over Snoqualmie Pass on Friday afternoons and Sunday evenings during the summer with all the RVs and campers and boats seems to indicate there are many people who are fond of "heading east" to sun and heat on the weekends around here.    Nothing wrong with that.   ;)

Chelan? Where else would people go over there? 

Wait I forgot. Tri-Cities!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

A little over a week and I will be in Medford. Pretty good chance I find summer there. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Got back on Thursday. Heard about that while I was there, though I was nowhere near Guadalajara and didn't see any good storms while I was in Mexico.

A forum for the end of the world.

Chelan? Where else would people go over there?

Wait I forgot. Tri-Cities!

Eastern Washington is full of great places to go! Except Omak...don’t go there...right Matt?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

58 and mostly cloudy after a low of 56. Increasing cloud cover currently. Should be raining here in about 12 hours or less.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

58 and mostly cloudy after a low of 56. Increasing cloud cover currently. Should be raining here in about 12 hours or less.

Clouds are thin enough here to call it mostly sunny... a rare morning this summer without thick low clouds and drizzle.

Guest CulverJosh

Have you not met PDX?

Yes. I know PDX intimately. It is unrealistic to believe in this airmass that it will stay 62 to 64 overnight. Maybe in areas of far western Washington and Yamhill counties but not in the city.

Clouds are thin enough here to call it mostly sunny... a rare morning this summer without thick low clouds and drizzle.

Today marks the 26th day of measurable precip since June 1st here. Still feels and looks like summer though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Today marks the 26th day of measurable precip since June 1st here. Still feels and looks like summer though.

Well... you did have snow in June so your definition of summer might be anything other than 2 feet of snow on the ground and below zero temps.    ;)

That being said... your forecast looks great now.   

Well... you did have snow in June so your definition of summer might be anything other than 2 feet of snow on the ground and below zero temps.    ;)

That being said... your forecast looks great now.   

Touché... Point being, rain and clouds is just part of the summer months for most.

Definitely a well overdue nice stretch coming up here. You also have plenty of sunny warm days coming up, enjoy it!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Touché... Point being, rain and clouds is just part of the summer months for most.

Definitely a well overdue nice stretch coming up here. You also have plenty of sunny warm days coming up, enjoy it!

Its the same in Minnesota... rain seems like summer since it almost never rains for half of the year.   

Totally different perspective here.   Drizzle and low clouds is far too similar to what we have in the winter (and fall and spring).    Although thunderstorms and high dewpoint rain does seem like summer on the rare occasions that we get to experience that.

Yes. I know PDX intimately. It is unrealistic to believe in this airmass that it will stay 62 to 64 overnight. Maybe in areas of far western Washington and Yamhill counties but not in the city.

You think the rural Willamette Valley/Coast Range will stay warmer overnight than the city of Portland? :huh:

Could you explain why? Maybe something to do with warm air density.