July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

7th day in a row that the central Cascades and the adjacent foothills and lowlands have been the completely cloudy. The clouds are much more broken in the foothills and mountains to the north and to the south. And the clouds actually get thicker as the day goes on. It starts to break up and then totally fills in immediately.

sat-7-8.png

Obviously this happens from time to time... but very rarely does it happen for a week straight. And even more rare in July. There was nothing this persistent even in 2010 and 2011.

Then rain moves in tomorrow afternoon... so we miss out on the nice days in between that other places get.

Wait, it's been cloudy out your way, we had no idea due to your lack of posts about it...

• Like 1

Wait, it's been cloudy out your way, we had no idea due to your lack of posts about it...

I usually talk about the weather that is happening... good or bad.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ya, you haven't just been "talking" about it, nice try!!

Yes I have. 

That was a completely factual post with no opinion.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

California is supposed to get hot with an expanding 4 Corners High by about Thursday, but today there was an anomalously deep 3500 ft marine layer. Looks like the California warm up won't have much effect on the PNW.

After tomorrow and the day after, the forecast shows mostly typical summer weather for Portland. Highs in the high 70s and low 80s with sun.

Clouds slowly dissolving out here now... thickest clouds are now surrounding Lake Washington.

nb-7-8-2.png

Been a lot more sun up here all day compared to the last week or so! Was nice to finally have a little sun and warmth again.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Beautiful 82F today.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Guest CulverJosh

KPTV is only going with 72 tomorrow but they have Wednesday as humid. Looks like some warm nights ahead.

MJvcawF.jpg

Doubt it stays that warm overnight. Upper 50s is more reasonable.

Decoupling at PDX is actually achieved quite easily in mid July with southerly flow, clouds, and abundant low level moisture.

The 12z Euro usually runs 4-5 degrees too warm in these short term situations as well.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

00Z GFS backed off quite a bit more on the precip with the next system.    Seems to be shifting a little west with each run as the time approaches. Hopefully that will be a common theme with this new pattern that is developing now.

I am only speaking for those would like to see something more summery of course... I realize people have different opinions.   ^_^

00Z GFS backed off quite a bit more on the precip with the next system.    Seems to be shifting a little west with each run as the time approaches. Hopefully that will be a common theme with this new pattern that is developing now.

I am only speaking for those would like to see something more summery of course... I realize people have different opinions.   ^_^

Not liking the shift. Some us would prefer a smoke-free summer.

• Like 2

Really? Then pray for rain in Alaska. Because that is where the smoke will come from regardless of our weather.

Some of us would like a couple weeks of summer before fall arrives.

00z GFS looking springlike in the 9-10 day range.

If this was winter with a trough that strong, this forum would be exploding right now.

Old GFS doesn't agree, interestingly. It sends a fast moving trough through the PNW around day 9 and then sets a ridge in afterward. Let's wait for the ensembles and Euro.

00Z GFS backed off quite a bit more on the precip with the next system. Seems to be shifting a little west with each run as the time approaches. Hopefully that will be a common theme with this new pattern that is developing now.

I am only speaking for those would like to see something more summery of course... I realize people have different opinions. ^_^

Gross.

00Z GFS backed off quite a bit more on the precip with the next system. Seems to be shifting a little west with each run as the time approaches. Hopefully that will be a common theme with this new pattern that is developing now.

I am only speaking for those would like to see something more summery of course... I realize people have different opinions. ^_^

Last paragraph is nothing but a false cover for you, no matter how you slice it you have been on meltdown alert for awhile now, too late to hide it!!

• Like 1

Really? Then pray for rain in Alaska. Because that is where the smoke will come from regardless of our weather.

Some of us would like a couple weeks of summer before fall arrives.

The weather preference debates are just as intense as the politics debates.

Normally fires in California don't get bad until fall with the Santa Ana Winds. Our terrain is more accustomed to hot and dry weather throughout the summer than the PNW, which is much more foresty. It actually looks like a rain forest as you drive towards the coast from Portland, at least from the time I visited there one summer.

It would be interesting to see how air quality/smoke correlates to how warm the summers are in the PNW given the historical climate data.

The weather preference debates are just as intense as the politics debates.

Normally fires in California don't get bad until fall with the Santa Ana Winds. Our terrain is more accustomed to hot and dry weather throughout the summer than the PNW, which is much more foresty. Looks like a rain forest as you drive towards the coast from Portland, at least from the time I visited there one summer.

It would be interesting to see how air quality/smoke correlates to how warm the summers are in the PNW.

That's because it actually is a rainforest starting in the Oregon Coast Range. Places on the windward side of the coast range can exceed 100" annual average precipitation. Leeward side is still fairly wet but not quite rainforest.

IMG_3089.jpg

Here's a trail in Oswald West State Park. This is only about a mile from the ocean if that. It gets wetter as you gain elevation thanks to orographic effect.

• Like 1

Nice 66F out there.  Looking forward to some cool weather.  :)

Personal Stats:

Venmo

New Stranger Things any good?

Very good. Binged the whole thing on July 4.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Last paragraph is nothing but a false cover for you, no matter how you slice it you have been on meltdown alert for awhile now, too late to hide it!!

Good Lord. I don't hide anything. Just being cordial like I have been all along... totally understanding how people in other areas would have different perspectives. I would too!

Just got back into Tacoma after being up in the mountains all day. Went south of blewett pass up near diamond head then went to lake cle elum. Was pretty nice east of the mountains this afternoon low to mid 70s in the valleys and about 60 or so up above 5kft. High temp of 72 in Tacoma today the warmest day since July 1st. Looks like it cleared up nice this evening west of the mountains when I came over I-90 at about 9pm.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s still a troughy run. I’d take it.

Hopefully there will never be ridging again.

Ridges are pure evil. They serve no purpose except to make life miserable.

Hopefully there will never be ridging again.

Ridges are pure evil. They serve no purpose except to make life miserable.

Ask some farmers in the Midwest how great it is to have persistent troughing...

Neither persistent troughing nor persistent ridging are good things. They both come with their own array of problems.