August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

every time hot weather has been forecasted it just hasn’t gotten as hot as they said. 8/4-8/6 this last week every day for a few days before the models were projecting 87-90 all those days here and we ended up getting 83,84 and 80 those days. We hit 91 6/12 and 87 7/21 other than that only a few low 80s it’s been really comfortable. I am skeptical of any real heat at this point but we will see. Even if we get a quick return of 4CH it’s no big deal really since we’ve pretty successfully evaded hot weather up to this point.

Yeah, I was actually just thinking about how early this upcoming week looked to be on the warm side when it was out at the 7-10 day range. Then another trough/ULL snuck into the picture.

• Like 2

every time hot weather has been forecasted it just hasn’t gotten as hot as they said. 8/4-8/6 this last week every day for a few days before the models were projecting 87-90 all those days here and we ended up getting 83,84 and 80 those days. We hit 91 6/12 and 87 7/21 other than that only a few low 80s it’s been really comfortable. I am skeptical of any real heat at this point but we will see. Even if we get a quick return of 4CH it’s no big deal really since we’ve pretty successfully evaded hot weather up to this point.

Yeah its been the same out here as well. High water mark here has only been 88F and the least number of 90 degree days in Bozeman since 1997 with just one day reaching 90F thus far.

I doubt it ends up being anything too extreme, but who knows.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

9,000 strikes almost yesterday.

Really fortunate these have been really wet storms for the entire region.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The fact that it's been a relatively wet summer (especially for mountainous regions) thus far also helps.

Still pretty dry warm season to date for the west side and most of the Cascades. But not as bad as some recent years, for sure. And impressively wet for parts of the east side.

90dPNormWRCC-NW.png

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Greenest summer in YEARS! Honestly do not 0 it can get any wetter here in the warm season.

Its been a very wet meteorological summer for the Seattle area and a good chunk of western WA. Especially after the totals from this weekend get updated.

But we never get rain in July and August right?

Hoping for a warm and dry September and October.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

66F and cloudy with the occasional shower.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Its been a very wet meteorological summer for the Seattle area and a good chunk of western WA. Especially after the totals from this weekend get updated.

But we never get rain in July and August right?

Hoping for a warm and dry September and October.

Uh, no. Meteorological summer to date. Including most recent rains.

Seattle WFO: +.22"

SEA: +.23"

OLM: -.84"

• Like 1

Still pretty dry warm season to date for the west side and most of the Cascades. But not as bad as some recent years, for sure. And impressively wet for parts of the east side.

90dPNormWRCC-NW.png

We’re supposed to get 2.25” during an average meteorological summer in Tacoma so far we’re at 1.61”. Mainly because of June getting 0.17”. We should probably get more rain before the end of August so we should be close to average in terms of precipitation.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

90dPNormWRCC-NW.png

is be curious to see this from like 6/15- present. It has to be wetter than average here this summer, I’ve been finding mushrooms like never before this summer.

Thunder again. Coming from the same direction but not a tenth as strong as the squall line earlier.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 18
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

We’re supposed to get 2.25” during an average meteorological summer in Tacoma so far we’re at 1.61”. Mainly because of June getting 0.17”. We should probably get more rain before the end of August so we should be close to average in terms of precipitation.

Weird, according to Tim it's been a VERY wet summer.

• Like 1

Football, chilly rain this morning (.25” so far today) and I winterized the boat. Felt slightly Fallish today to say the least.

A5249E0C-E3D2-4CFC-A379-26CB82CDD164.jpeg

2063FC1D-29A2-45D2-A395-3CE0E5DFBF08.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Funnel cloud spotted by the Klamath Falls Airport...

FyE9ZDC.png

YCIfybi.png

• Like 3

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 18
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Storm near Hillsboro actually looks decent- has potential. Nothing over me on radar, but hailing pretty hard here.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Great, I’ll be in east Portland all night and now a thunderstorm with hail is forming in Washington County. :rolleyes:

Hope KI2 and FroYo get something out of this storm.

I'm sure East Portland will get something too later! Just keep your eyes to the east :)

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like a small but fairly strong cell just formed slightly to the NW of downtown Portland.

Could be a situation where stuff kind of pops up out of nowhere and spreads east in a line across the metro.

This line just intensified on the radar. Multiple red spots on it. Hopefully you get something out of it.
  • Like 2

Getting thunder now!

6qhPfSJ.jpg

Reminding me a little of that July 1st storm that we had. Smaller, but looked similar in its early stages.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Greenest summer in YEARS! Honestly do not think it can get any wetter here in the warm season.

it has more to do with the timing this summer no long dry streaks and the rain has been perfectly timed just as things start to get dry another storm comes through. Really has been a perfect summer other than I would have liked a few more clear and crisp summer days. It has been pretty cloudy and muggy compared to most other summers but that has definitely helped keep it so green for this time of year which I have loved.