November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

I think we’ve mostly been expecting drier than normal but this is pretty d*mn dry. Could end up being drier than 13-14 at this rate. That year had a lot of the rainfall focused into CA right or was it dry down that way as well? Either way I’m expecting things to get wet this spring.

That was dry everywhere IIRC..not much STJ and the northern jet was well up into the Aleutians/AK thanks to a persistent GOA/EPO ridge.

• Like 1

Great day for shopping and a meaningless Apple Cup... 

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip-3hr-inch-5

I remember a few days ago when it looked like it would be very wet that day on the ECMWF.     I told my sons that it was not looking good and they might be sitting in sideways rain.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Great day for shopping and a meaningless Apple Cup...

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip-1hr-inch-4

I remember a few days ago when it looked it would be very wet that day on the ECMWF. I told my sons that it was not looking good and they might be sitting in sideways rain.

Bragging right game this year, wish it was for more.

• Like 1

That was dry everywhere IIRC..not much STJ and the northern jet was well up into the Aleutians/AK thanks to a persistent GOA/EPO ridge.

We will see how this one plays out, wouldn’t surprise me if the energy was mostly focused in northern CA.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

And side note... cherry picking cold maps from the GFS at 384 hours or maps from the CFS at 3 weeks out is perfectly fine.   

But showing maps for the next week... like the storm Tuesday, a nice Black Friday, and maybe some snow next Sunday is called out.   :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Long range Euro completely flipped..revives the -NAO and has a much more interesting pattern.

• Like 4

OMG :o EURO has a OTH-GEG something like -32mb. Major damaging downslope/east wind storm coming for PDX metro, Foothills.

Definitely going to be some strong gap winds in the cascades over the next week or so at times.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

OMG :o EURO has a OTH-GEG something like -32mb. Major damaging downslope/east wind storm coming for PDX metro, Foothills.

For what day? The last time we had a gradient like that (anything close to that) was November 2014.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Have I mentioned how much I love my area...during marginal snow level situations I am in a good spot at around 550’ but if the SL is just above that all I need to to is walk up to my neighbors property and enjoy sticking snow at 700’. Walked up there this morning to get an exact elevation. Last March after an overnight big snow the temps warmed a bit and snow was melting off of the trees with a rain/snow falling at my house, walked up to my neighbors to grab their tractor to plow out my driveway and it was still solidly below freezing with all snow falling and nothing coming off of the trees. Love this place!!

55E9F863-DA7D-428F-8B50-A4928604AAF2.jpeg

63D6BB20-F721-4C94-BAAA-ACD14A24EEAB.jpeg

E1EF7339-FEA4-4D58-8819-A533BD88BD73.png

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Up to 48F after a midnight low of 30F. Nice and damp out there.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

next level trolling.

I would love to see some mountain snow.   So yeah... not trolling.   

Not everything has to be about massive arctic outbreaks and lowland snow.  

I would love to see some mountain snow. So yeah... not trolling.

Not everything has to be about massive arctic outbreaks and lowland snow.

Actually...
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I've never seen OTH-GEG over -25mb. This would be Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning.

I'm quite impressed. Surely it wasn't showing that last run, was it?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I'm quite impressed. Surely it wasn't showing that last run, was it?

lol yeah I don’t think so. We will see if this euro run is the beginning of a trend of better runs or just one good run. Hopefully the former not the latter. Wonder what the Gradients will be in the Fraser River valley and the stampede gap.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

People are on your case because this has been the same shtick from you for over a decade. Whether it’s arguing with someone about snow in Seattle because a webcam in Tukwilla shows rain, arguing about how we are not in a drought, until we are, arguing that the Seahawks are bad, complaining that people sharing cold maps are unrealistic, and then whipping out the oft used cloud maps to show how that one frame showing snow isn’t going to happen.

It’s just tiring.

I don't participate in cheerleading... that is for sure.   I think its silly.   But I also post lots of maps when things really get good.  

People are on your case because this has been the same shtick from you for over a decade. Whether it’s arguing with someone about snow in Seattle because a webcam in Tukwilla shows rain, arguing about how we are not in a drought, until we are, arguing that the Seahawks are bad, complaining that people sharing cold maps are unrealistic, and then whipping out the oft used cloud maps to show how that one frame showing snow isn’t going to happen.

It’s just tiring.

Spot on.

• Like 3