April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Pacific Northwest?  More like Pacific NorthWET!  

Get it?

Minor play on words, making a slight change to the more typical regional classification of "Pacific Northwest" by removing the "s" within the word "west," thus immediately transitioning to the word "wet."  Given the predominance of wet patterns in said region, this then creates an enjoyable pun.  Win over small groups of people in awkward social situations, bowl over that teller at the bank or clerical staff wherever you have your anal bleaching done.  People will get a kick out of it!  

Interesting. I honestly didn't get it for a few minutes.

Very true.   :)

I can't remember a time this winter when the radar was so incredibly persistent for so long.     This is a little strange... more like November or December.

The amounts of rain that the foothills in Washington have received this wetter season have been noteworthy, no question. It always strikes me though, that you haven't (don't appear to have, as long as you've live there where you are.) gotten used to the more natural amounts / types of precip. even, that you get more normally year in and year out.

---

The amounts of rain that the foothills in Washington have received this wetter season has been noteworthy, no question. It always strikes me though, that you haven't (don't appear to have, as long as you've live there where you are.) gotten used to the more natural amounts / types of precip. even, that you get more normally year in and year out.

Not really noteworthy until the middle of February and most of March.

I am just surprised by the amazing persistent nature of this rain given that its April.     Usually it moves in and out this time of year.  This is silly for April.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not really noteworthy until the middle of February and most of March.

I am just surprised by the amazing persistent nature of this rain given that its April.     Usually it moves in and out this time of year.  This is silly for April.    

Ok. ... 

And, .. As I viewed things, if more from without, the current greater amount of rain, Portland north, not unexplainable, is / has been, the general result of there still being plenty of cold left in the season (main cold stores north.). And with this, where looking at both now together along with since mid-Feb., just where that cold has set up.

Basically, and more since the middle of February, within the Eastern Pacific more, and in a few different main ways so as to have steered warmer and wetter air [more] toward the PNW. This, set against what had led otherwise to the dryer conditions more north, and more extreme drought potential from here where I am and further south, previous to the middle of February, with main cold air mass deliveries (troughs.) having set up more predominately through the Western and Central, Northern Pacific. 

---

Record shattering cold over the Midwest again..incredible stretch for them. Marquette MI hit -5F this morning, which is the latest sub-zero low to ever occur there.

0.47" so far today and only managed a 3.3 degree spread in temperature.  49.3 up to 52.6

Very cold mid April day.  

Ironically, the high was not the coldest for the date.  My records only go back to 2011 at my BG station, but the high temp in 2011 was just 52.1 and in 2012 it was 50.5 degrees.

• Like 1

Jesse has been saving his gas money for months in great anticipation of our upcoming thunderstorm chase season. His video of the Great Goldendale Pea Sized Hail Shower of May 16, 2014 may very well be his big break!

:lol:

This was funny. Nothing wrong with making the best of things, though. At least here in Stevenson I am a little bit closer to the more active thunderstorm season of the interior northwest. I will be going on many "chases" this season, I am sure. :)

-
The southernmost edge of the main punch through folding back to more of a ridge, moved through here where I am more south; just over my head while I'd been out working in my garden in town. 

A few lighter claps of thunder, a few miles to my north, changing over to junk. No rain just the hint of it more.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/weather/sat.shtml

---

I kinda want a derecho to rip through Western WA. North Bend in particular. :)

Good luck with that... never happen with 50-degree water so close.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So...US temperatures have been adjusted upwards by 1.2C so far in 2014. Complete bulls**t:

http://stevengoddard.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/screenhunter_273-apr-18-05-11.gif

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/the-hockey-stick-is-real-3/

I have enough experience with the US surface station network, homogenization protocols, and relevant error bars to know that no adjustment over 0.08C should ever be done without legitimate reason..and certainly there is no reason for an exponentially increasing upward adjustment..in fact, given urban expansion, it should be the other way around.

So...US temperatures have been adjusted upwards by 1.2C so far in 2014. Complete bulls**t:

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/the-hockey-stick-is-real-3/

I have enough experience with the US surface station network, homogenization protocols, and relevant error bars to know that no adjustment over 0.08C should ever be done without legitimate reason..and certainly there is no reason for an exponentially increasing upward adjustment..in fact, given urban expansion, it should be the other way around.

Perhaps this discussion would fit better in another sub-forum (broader one such as The World or American Weather Discussions) where more members who necessarily don't visit PNW forums would benefit and converse. 

Today has been fantastic. I have been down in Eugene for the past couple of days. Every single palm I saw was dead. -10 will do that to you.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I challenge you to reveal who's post I scrutinized. I'll give you a hint...it never happened.

As for "thought-provoking, weather-related" commentary..I suggest you do more of that yourself. Yelling "Ice Burn!" every other post doesn't count.

Please stop inventing problems just to get attention. No

Quit posting about your weather and weather woes in the PNW thread.  That would help.  I do not live there just like everyone else.  I could care less that you keep getting interesting weather there.

Guest Monty67

Today has been fantastic. I have been down in Eugene for the past couple of days. Every single palm I saw was dead. -10 will do that to you.

-10 would definitely be pushing the limit for most palms especially ones that haven't seen much cold in the past to toughen them up. Most people will probably just replant and the trees will grow well again for another 20+ years.

I had a few customers lose some semi tropical type plants this winter ( only hardy down to 10f or so). Everyone just wants me to replant with similar plants because they like them and they add to the beauty of the landscape.

• Like 1

-10 would definitely be pushing the limit for most palms especially ones that haven't seen much cold in the past to toughen them up. Most people will probably just replant and the trees will grow well again for another 20+ years.

I had a few customers lose some semi tropical type plants this winter ( only hardy down to 10f or so). Everyone just wants me to replant with similar plants because they like them and they add to the beauty of the landscape.

Personally, I think that extreme cold will be more common over the next 20 years than it was in the previous 20. But hey, whatever helps you sell semi-tropical plants in Canada. ;)

Guest Monty67

Personally, I think that extreme cold will be more common over the next 20 years than it was in the previous 20. But hey, whatever helps you sell semi-tropical plants in Canada. ;)

What's the reasoning behind your thinking? (Is it a See Phil's posts situation?)

Working with Tropical type plants is a tiny tiny portion of my business. I make more money from snow removal work, so bring on the cold.

Maybe you are wrong.     But hey... we don't know.   And they could easily last another 20 years making them worth the price.   

The palm trees around the Seattle area certainly did not suffer this winter.   They look just fine.

What's the reasoning behind your thinking? (Is it a See Phil's posts situation?)

Working with Tropical type plants is a tiny tiny portion of my business. I make more money from snow removal work, so bring on the cold.

-PDO phase.

Maybe you are wrong.     But hey... we don't know.   And they could easily last another 20 years making them worth the price.   

The palm trees around the Seattle area certainly did not suffer this winter.   They look just fine

A lot of palm varieties are surprisingly hardy.

I don't normally go around looking for dead palms, but I drove past a Mexican restaurant with about 5 fairly large dead palms, so I started looking for it as I drove around, and really every palm I saw looked dead. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Guest Monty67

The palm trees around the Seattle area certainly did not suffer this winter.   They look just fine.

Mature palms in the Seattle area (likely Windmill palms) will probably never have much of an issue. They are commonly cold hardy to temps in the 5F to -5F range.

Mature palms in the Seattle area (likely Windmill palms) will probably never have much of an issue. They are commonly cold hardy to temps in the 5F to -5F range.

So you're thinking the Puget Sound region will never get that cold again? (at least in our lifetimes) Bold claim.

Guest Monty67

So you're thinking the Puget Sound region will never get that cold again? (at least in our lifetimes) Bold claim.

How often does the Seattle area, I never said the entire Puget sound, fall to the 5 to -5F range?

Expecting temps to drop near or below freezing in Seattle or other places near the water is going to be a tall order.