Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

With the c-zone I always watch the western edge of it for signs it's going to peter out.  So far that part of the zone is staying good.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

North winds all the way from Bellingham to Seatle now.  Very good.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

With the c-zone I always watch the western edge of it for signs it's going to peter out.  So far that part of the zone is staying good.

Trust me I always watch that here lol. This really looks like it will fill the entire puget sound basin. Still a ton of moisture streaming in up north. This will not behave like a traditional zone.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Thus far gauging current temperatures, dewpoints from Bellingham, Lynden, Abbotsford and progress of arctic front into North Puget Sound(Everett) and also North Central Washington it appears the GFS is handling the arctic air and progression of it much better than the EURO. We'll have to see how that plays out the next few days. It's now time for real-time observations, gradients, and upper air temps. Models, schmodels.

Tim!!!!
  • Like 1

Trust me I always watch that here lol. This really looks like it will fill the entire puget sound basin. Still a ton of moisture streaming in up north. This will not behave like a traditional zone.

Not looking good for my area...but hoping we might get another shower or two overnight.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nice to see how much cold was able to make it into Whatcom County. A legitimate event there. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

D a m m i t  T i m ! :D  (It's catchy and fun!)

This arctic front has some serious teeth to it. Oroville has gusted to 66mph! Arctic front passed Chelan, Mansfield now just north of Wenatchee, Coulee city. Comparing this to the 12z WRF-GFS this morning the arctic front is about right on schedule.

• Like 1

D a m m i t  T i m ! :D  (It's catchy and fun!)

This arctic front has some serious teeth to it. Oroville has gusted to 66mph! Arctic front passed Chelan, Mansfield now just north of Wenatchee, Coulee city. Comparing this to the 12z WRF-GFS this morning the arctic front is about right on schedule.

Yeah it has some power behind it for sure.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

12z WRF-GFS shows no northerly winds for Seattle until 12 - 1 AM.

DJ, ya think this bodes well for PDX? Because as of now I’m expecting no snow at all the way the models have gone (maybe some tomorrow night).

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

For sure!  I left about 7:30 to go to the gym and it was 30 degrees and my driveway was a slippery slushy mess.  When I left the gym  an hour later it was still 30, but over the 3 miles of my drive home, it dropped to 25, and my driveway was already quite crunchy.  Can't say I've ever experienced that.

Trying to figure out now if we are done with the moisture up here.  I hope not but it would also be nice to know what I am facing tomorrow morning.  At this point I probably don't need to shovel my neighbor's driveway, but if we get more, she will try to get out and do it herself if I don't (87 year old widow...not happening on my watch).

Personally, I hope we get more snow. I'm feeling gypped. North end of town got only a dusting. I watched the radar echoes disintegrate as soon as they got within a mile of me this evening.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Glad folks in the WA lowlands are scoring, at least some good will come out of this pattern. 

D**n, a few days ago I was joking that the Wedneday low would end up in north Vancouver Island. 

Looks like that is exactly where the 00z EURO wants to take it.

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

For us lowly valley floor dwellers in PDX the only shot we have left is getting lucky tomorrow with it being a hair cooler than modeled and getting a bit more precip from that low passes to the south. Slim chances. There is still enough time between now and the mid week low that the track can still change given how bad models have handled it, but the clock is certainly ticking on that too. Odds are good we will all see some flakes in the air and maybe a trace accumulation at some point. I think K%% or anyone with elevation should get a few inches.

DJ, ya think this bodes well for PDX? Because as of now I’m expecting no snow at all the way the models have gone (maybe some tomorrow night).

I'm very optimistic and soon as the Gorge opens up for business, but we also need to see how far south the arctic boundary sags from the north. C'MON!!!!