Pacific Northwest Weather -June 2023

Essentially all guidance is insistent on building a potent block over the Beaufort/West-Arctic region. That is not consistent with a PNW heatwave pattern at this time of year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Essentially all guidance is insistent on building a potent block over the Beaufort/West-Arctic region. That is not consistent with a PNW heatwave pattern at this time of year.

Thank you. We will take any crumb of hope we can get these days.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Today’s EPS was the final run at 18km/52 members. Beginning tomorrow we double the # of ensemble members, double spatial resolution to 9km, and run it out to 6 weeks every day. 🥳 

• Like 6
  • Excited 2

Model guidance and observed weather (to date) has been giving off 2002 vibes.

Super niño looks very unlikely now (IMO). Have no idea what other forecasters are seeing to suggest otherwise.

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

seems dim here too.  not sure if high clouds or a smoke layer.  maybe the sun was turned down a little

Have they tried plugging it and doing a hard re-start yet? Lol.

Pavement looks a little wet but likely not measurable.

I can't wait till Gusky (?) moves to WW for another eastern WA poster. 

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

More summer perfection.   Can also see some convective activity to the east which seems to have a little more westward momentum today per the satellite. 

Screenshot_20230626-140831_Chrome.jpg

Bit of a high cloud shocker up here. 

• Sad 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

23 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I’m sure the 1% will be fine on their lakes or outside US borders on their little islands, but regular folx will suffer greatly. Multnomah county is preparing litigation. 

I’ve honestly been suffering a bit from the heat where I’m at. Pretty sure I suffered a bit from heat exhaustion earlier today when walking to the beach. It’s seriously too hot for me here unless I’m swimming in the water. Props to @Phil for putting up with heat like this for 3 months straight every year.

• Like 2

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Model guidance and observed weather (to date) has been giving off 2002 vibes.

Super niño looks very unlikely now (IMO). Have no idea what other forecasters are seeing to suggest otherwise.

I saw some twitter post of a spaghetti chart for ENSO and there were literally some members that took it over 3C which I just had a hard time believing. No way we go straight to that after a triple dip Niña. Has there ever been a strong El Nino the year after a moderate/strong La Niña?

• Like 1

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

54 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

I’ve honestly been suffering a bit from the heat where I’m at. Pretty sure I suffered a bit from heat exhaustion earlier today when walking to the beach. It’s seriously too hot for me here unless I’m swimming in the water. Props to @Phil for putting up with heat like this for 3 months straight every year.

Humidity is always the killer. Prevents sweat from evaporating causing the body to overheat. It’s amazing how much water you lose in such a short time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cold Snap said:

😀

And the millions and millions of other people in the US who live in humid areas.

Also brings me back to my original point about going to hot tropical places in the summer months and leaving perfect weather here.   Doesn't seem like its worth the price to me.   Just my opinion of course.    

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

😀

And the millions and millions of other people in the US who live in humid areas.

Also brings me back to my original point about going to hot tropical places in the summer months and leaving perfect weather here.   Doesn't seem like its worth the price to me.   Just my opinion of course.    

Teachers in the extended family almost make it forced upon us. Sucks but worth it to have the rest of the cousins for the kiddos with us. 

8 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Teachers in the extended family almost make it forced upon us. Sucks but worth it to have the rest of the cousins for the kiddos with us. 

I totally get family reunions and teachers' schedules... firsthand experience.   But there is a reason why northern vacation spots are popular in the summer.  👍

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Here’s a view of Mt Baker from the soccer park up here.  If my defense is switched on, I should be able to keep an eye out for lightning!

IMG_6047.jpeg

Great pic... looks ripe for lightning.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned as broken on here but if it has - the Giphy integration has been fixed! Didn't notice that it was broken until now, woops. Grabbed a new API key and it looks to be working again.

Party on...

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

can we post tweets again?

• Spam 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Here’s a view of Mt Baker from the soccer park up here.  If my defense is switched on, I should be able to keep an eye out for lightning!

IMG_6047.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful. Up here in Everett it feels a bit like Philly. Dark skies with no real shape, deep blues that hit a dark green horizon, and the air has heft.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

can we post tweets again?

I've looked into that and from what I've read it's either A. a problem on Twitter's end or B. a problem with the web host provider. Either way, out of my control unfortunately.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/474047-twitter-suddenly-wont-embed/

https://twittercommunity.com/t/wordpress-fails-to-embed-tweets/194433/33

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I've looked into that and from what I've read it's either A. a problem on Twitter's end or B. a problem with the web host provider. Either way, out of my control unfortunately.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/474047-twitter-suddenly-wont-embed/

https://twittercommunity.com/t/wordpress-fails-to-embed-tweets/194433/33

probably some of elroy's doing when he jacked up twitter, although some other message boards I'm on (obviously on a different platform) are not having problems

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Great pic... looks ripe for lightning.

Thanks!  Defense was switched on, but it was a really good team, so I was pretty busy back in the net tonight (they only got 1 past me.)  I think things fell apart as it got on the west side of Baker because I didn't get any lightning alerts on my phone.  Baker did get completely obscured at one point by a heavier rain band but that's the extent of it.

10 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I hear ya. I don't think whether or not the lowest elevations get snow in the winter makes much if any difference, but I understand your point. 

Low elevation Western Washington is probably a couple of decades out from the big fires. They are about where we were 20-25 years ago. Blissfully unaware. Someone else's problem. 

We’re lucky that the geography of our mountain passes is not favorable for gigantic westside fires. Bolt Creek last year was significant for us but at just 14,000 acres it is nothing compared to the real big ones. There will eventually be a big one in the Enumclaw area where the easterlies can be stronger at times but generally the winds just don’t get strong enough for a disaster as widespread as the Oregon fires. Definitely going to be more frequent fires in areas that haven’t burned in a while though. 

Lovely evening. Thought for sure it was going to rain with how the sky and radar looked, but unfortunately not a single drop and it cleared out quickly. 

IMG_6834.jpeg

IMG_6839.jpeg

• Like 5

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

13 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

😀

Yeah I definitely understand and visiting where I’m at right now in January would be much more tolerable than right now. The avg high/low this time of year here is 88/79 and in January it’s 81/75. This time of year just works better for my family right now because my brother is home from college so summer is the easiest time of the year to vacation for us. Though I would prefer going on vacation in the summer rather than winter if it means not risking missing a huge arctic blast.

• Like 1

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

PNW needs an avalanche+flood safety awareness month.

IMG_4401.jpeg

Puyallup residents really need some avalanche awareness. 

• lol 2

Severe clear. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Surprised this forum isn’t hopping with activity given the troughier trend in most guidance for early/mid July.

Been one of the ridgiest periods of the year lately across western North America. Even 2 weeks of normal temps would be a huge win.

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Surprised this forum isn’t hopping with activity given the troughier trend in most guidance for early/mid July.

Been one of the ridgiest periods of the year lately across western North America. Even 2 weeks of normal temps would be a huge win.

We will see if it happens, but some sub-80 highs in July would be a tremendous blessing for all involved. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.