May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

In Chelan now. Heading a bit SE to Vantage/George/Quincy area shortly. Should be wild! Looks like the squall line will develop just prior to that area. HRRR consistent with this feature at this point. Will share video/photos later but going to be stay in the moment for the time being. Cheers! 

• Like 1

CAPE over 4000J/kg conjuct strong forcing/height falls ahead of a negatively tilted trough is a big deal. Those storms over the terrain are going to be legit.

I can’t recall CAPE ever reaching 4000J/kg here during the month of May. That’s actually close to the values observed before the June 29th 2012 derecho. And the large forcing mechanisms look more impressive with this.

That’s some tornado alley right there.

Nothing too crazy here besides some fairly constant thunder and the occasional flash of lighting. Pretty heavy rain currently though.

I would be getting my butt over to eastern WA right about now if it wasn't my son's birthday today. Doing the whole virtual birthday party thing and I think it'd be highly frowned upon if I was missing in order to go chase storms. Maybe next time.

Get your son and bring him with you while you storm chase hehheh

Nothing too crazy here besides some fairly constant thunder and the occasional flash of lighting. Pretty heavy rain currently though.

I would be getting my butt over to eastern WA right about now if it wasn't my son's birthday today. Doing the whole virtual birthday party thing and I think it'd be highly frowned upon if I was missing in order to go chase storms. Maybe next time.

Its a "virtual" birthday party... which means it can be done from anywhere.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My last day of high school yesterday— sort of bittersweet. I wanted to go out to E. Oregon to see some of these storms as a celebration, but tracking them is good enough for me. We did have some thunder earlier— maybe more a bit later?

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

That’s some tornado alley s**t right there.

Those parameters are certainly high quality, and not just by PNW standards. It’s legit. Better than anything we’ve seen so far this year by a long shot.

• Like 3

Over a quarter of an inch of rain for the day...rains starting to taper off as the first band lifts out of the area.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

D*mn, booming thunder just shook the house. Sounded like it was right over us.

Ducting?

Thunder beneath an inversion is beautiful.

Looking forward to more active weather later today. Not sure what the chances of more thunderstorms are this afternoon with the next round of rain moving up from southern OR. Gonna be wet either way.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Looking forward to more active weather later today. Not sure what the chances of more thunderstorms are this afternoon with the next round of rain moving up from southern OR. Gonna be wet either way.

Hoping a few isolated storms make their way here and don’t miss us like earlier haha

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need to rent an airplane and see some of the building towers on the east side later!

Probably not a good idea though  :D

• Like 1

Hoping a few isolated storms make their way here and don’t miss us like earlier haha

Lots of activity lifting northward...we will see if it’s still producing lightning by the time it moves north. Hope for some clearing!

96BF4044-46DF-449B-9774-4E16AE46C050.jpeg

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

In Chelan now. Heading a bit SE to Vantage/George/Quincy area shortly. Should be wild! Looks like the squall line will develop just prior to that area. HRRR consistent with this feature at this point. Will share video/photos later but going to be stay in the moment for the time being. Cheers!

This is the best radar web page for Eastern Washington (and the PNW IMO).

https://atmos.uw.edu/current-weather/northwest-radar/

Had the ultra rare 6 am thunderstorm here. It woke me up. That doesn't happen very often.

Yeah this has been a helluva night.

And now another major wave in a little bit.  Could get wild!!

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Frequent lightning and torrential rain this morning around 6.

Picked up 0.30" already today. May is already the 3rd wettest month of the water year at 5.89". If it makes it past 6.56" today it will overtake December as second wettest.

• Like 3