September 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

.62” on the day. 
Of course 20 seconds after shooting this quick clip of racing clouds while putting the generator away I hear a large crack followed by a large tree of some sort falling either on my property or my neighbors. So close to having it on tape. The sound anyway. 
Oh…And it’s still coming. 

IMG_8931.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I wanted to post this for everyone. Looks like that secondary low is going to pack a punch for the PNW. Even though the winds are not super strong, with the full foliage on the trees, there is a strong possibility of power outages. The next storm will be interesting to see what happens 🤗⛈️

HRRR 3-km Northwest US Simulated Radar.gif

HRRR 3-km Northwest US 10-m Wind Gust.gif

HRRR 3-km Oregon 10-m Wind Gust.gif

HRRR 3-km Washington 10-m Wind Gust.gif

• Like 7

IMG_2633.png

Some intense convection embedded within these rainbands as colder air advects aloft from the west, increasing CAPE consequentially. Wouldn't be surprised to get an embedded lightning strike like down in PDX.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • Storm 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

It has only been Fall for a few days and it's already active with an atmospheric river, t-storms in the Vancouver metro area up to Columbia City, Woodland, Ridgefield La Center, and now the potential for an early season wind event/storm for the Northern OR and WA Coast, and maybe Puget Sound too. Awesome.

For PDX Last September 25th we were very warm and sunny with 88 degrees. From the 24-30th we ended the month first with hot weather peaking at 90 on the 26th, and then cooled down to the low 70s with about a quarter inch of rain .26" to be exact. Pretty soon we'll be tracking arctic fronts up in the Yukon. Yep. A snowy Nino! C'MON!!!!

00z GFS in 1 hour 1 minute

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

18 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

IMG_2633.png

Some intense convection embedded within these rainbands as colder air advects aloft from the west, increasing CAPE consequentially. Wouldn't be surprised to get an embedded lightning strike like down in PDX.

There were a few strikes around Clark County with that intense downpour s not ago

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

That just passed along the SEA rain gauge so curious what it gets. A lot of stations right at the edge have 1.1-1.3” of rain but just south of the airport around .7-.8”

I have been watching that too.   Thunder reported but only .03 in the last 30 minutes.  Could be that the heaviest rain passed just to the west.

• Like 1
  • Storm 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I have been watching that too.   Thunder reported but only .03 in the last 30 minutes.  Could be that the heaviest rain passed just to the west.

There’s no way. The storm passed over the airport but the heaviest was right over the northern part of the airport. Even if the gauge was on the south end of the airport it would have read at least .05 or more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Looking back at it the storm was centered over SeaTac. They had to have received well over a .10”. 

IMG_0670.png

Just .05 since 8 p.m.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=KSEA&hours=72

• Rain 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

23 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Mariners losing again but we got lightning!

Just an absolutely deflating game tonight. I didn’t think it could get much worse after the weekend. At least I have the calming sound of rain to listen to!

• Like 2

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Freaking Verlander. Ugh. This team just doesn’t have it. 

They had it in August.   But didn't have mental fight to handle the inevitable downturn.   They have seemingly given up.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If the station doesn’t update then it has to be an inaccurate reading. I have always felt the SEA station doesn’t accurately read rainfall but that’s just my novice opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jcmcgaffey said:

If the station doesn’t update then it has to be an inaccurate reading. I have always felt the SEA station doesn’t accurately read rainfall but that’s just my novice opinion. 

Up to .09 in the last hour now... cell is still right over airport.  

• Rain 1

QBO/shear stress most similar to 1986/87 and 1997/98, followed by 1991/92 and 2002/03.

And exact opposite of 1982/83 and 2018/19.

IMG_6959.jpeg

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sick 1

But we’re definitely ahead of 1997/98’s pace on shear descent. For all intents and purposes the lower tropical strat projected as +QBO (warm/shallow TUT) most of that winter.

• Like 2

Calm night with clouds clearing out at 57F. Got tickets for the Kraken game next Monday with dad so I can't wait! First game at CPA too, about time 🦑

• Like 4
  • bongocat-test 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro