November 2023 Weather in the PNW

Tyler Mode

30 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Pardon me of pointing out AI is likely another shitty step for humanity. Everyone knows this yet we plunge willingly into the abyss. 

…Carry on…

I would agree to an extent but GPT and Bard has carried me so much through the last half of my classes 😅

AI was always gonna be inevitable with how our technology progressed. In a way, we've had AI since the Dartmouth conference in 1956, only now that the field has taken insane strides for the better or worse. This world is absolutely not ready when deepfakes become more accessible and almost indistinguishable from reality. 

• Like 3

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

4 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

That's not really how it works. There would never be cold records in the cold season if that was the case.

We just had a record-breaking cold wave in parts of the country a few weeks ago.

It is exactly how it works. Otherwise we would eventually have another cold winter like we did in the 1950s. Which will never happen again in our lifetimes unless there’s nuclear war or a supervolcano eruption. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
  • bongocat-test 1

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

A pleasant day to put up the lights and do some trail cleaning! 

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

I have to wait for my son to get my lights up.   I did find out I don't need knee surgery at this point, but 20-30+ trips up and down a 10 foot ladder would most certainly change that.  He promised me he would come over Friday and help me out.  Hopefully the weather cooperates!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I have to wait for my son to get my lights up.   I did find out I don't need knee surgery at this point, but 20-30+ trips up and down a 10 foot ladder would most certainly change that.  He promised me he would come over Friday and help me out.  Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Nice. Glad you don't need surgery yet! Yeah, I'm in the same boat pretty much it's not wise for me to do so. Hopefully it's not wet next Friday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Nice. Glad you don't need surgery yet! Yeah, I'm in the same boat pretty much it's not wise for me to do so. Hopefully it's not wet next Friday.

Yeah, he said there is definitely a tear, but no bucket handle (which guarantees surgery), so he is thinking we can get everything right again through physical therapy.  If that doesn't work, then we will revisit the surgery.

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

2 minutes ago, Christensen87 said:

CFS not even hinting at a D**n thing through Christmas. Could be a rough December for us. 

To be honest that’s probably a good thing.

• Like 3
  • scream 1

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 2

Number of 85+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 86)

Number of 90+ days - 0

Number of 95+ days - 0

Number of 60+ lows - 0

I'm glad the anemometer works again. Almost 70 mph up at Crown Point. I was up there a few years ago. I don't remember the year but a person from AMS was up there with his own anemometer and he got a reading of 115 mph. I was trying to stand in that wind...lol. I didn't fall over but it was really hard to not fall over...lol. 

Screenshot_20231117_212358_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah my feet are a bit sore from all of the up and down on the ladder today! Hopefully the weather will be good for you, we are planning on getting the tree that day as well! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

26 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah my feet are a bit sore from all of the up and down on the ladder today! Hopefully the weather will be good for you, we are planning on getting the tree that day as well! 

You should join me at work where I walk almost 5 miles in a 4 hour period while pulling pallets.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Troll 1

I kind of like the looks of the ECMWF at the end.  Looks like it's building toward a major GOA ridge.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I took a late trip to Liberty and it was a rather chilly experience.  The town itself which is in a notorious frost pocket looked insanely cold when I went through there around 9am.  It had a well below 20 look to it with a piercing blue sky and an iron hard frost flocking every surface. At 3800 feet which is where the mine is wasn't quite as cold, but everything was frozen with some snow on Table Mountain about  a mile to the east.  During the afternoon it was plain to see the inversion was exploding over there with fog and low clouds engulfing everything in a matter minutes during the mid afternoon.  Temperatures had risen to a bit above freezing before the fog set in, but quickly plunged below right afterward.  A pretty neat day overall.  

• Like 6
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another chilly night with 34.5 degrees currently.  49/28 for the day.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, The Blob said:

You should join me at work where I walk almost 5 miles in a 4 hour period while pulling pallets.

And that's uphill both ways I'm sure.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Its too early to be up on a Saturday.    Still breezy and currently 49 degrees here at 5 a.m... definitely a mild night and should be a nice day before the rain arrives this evening.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Foothill banana belt is pretty localized this morning... basically just NB.   Does not even extend to Snoqualmie Ridge to the west.    Max gust so far of 26 mph in the valley this morning.

nb 11-18 2.jpg

nb 11-18.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Its too early to be up on a Saturday.    Still breezy and currently 49 degrees here at 5 a.m... definitely a mild night and should be a nice day before the rain arrives this evening.  

Agree. Mind telling my kids that? Or maybe you’re interested in some early weekend morning babysitting money???

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • lol 2

5 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Girl is 2 and boy is 5. Name your price! How much for a sleep away camp at beautiful shawnigan lake?? 😂😂

My kids are now 5 and almost 10…It’s starting to become the opposite now with them wanting to sleep in now as opposed to them being up half the night! I think for the first time in…Well…About 10 years that I feel like I’m getting caught up with sleep! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

25 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Low of 33.4˚F with some light frost IMBY this morning.

I actually pulled off a surprise freeze with a low of 31 this morning.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Models look they are hinting at some potential for very late Nov or early Dec.  They really want to bring up those GOA heights, but the details are murky as of yet.  Last night's EPS control was looking really interesting. 

1701367200-Rt33SkK0ouc.png

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Got down to 33 with some light frost this morning. 

My son is 20 months old. He gets up around 630-7a, which isn’t bad during the week because I’m usually up by 5:30. My youngest daughter sleeps in until about 8-9a on the weekends. The older girls usually sleep in now, the oldest will sleep until almost noon if you let her. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I woke up too early... the but the 12Z GFS and GEM runs are putting me back to sleep.   It rains a little tonight and again Tuesday night but other than its high and dry for the next 10 days at least.  

• Like 1

It's pretty interesting how the battle between that southern branch cutoff low and the northern branch of the jet resulted in such a pronounced difference between the temps in WA and OR over the past several days.  That CL just killed any chance OR had of pulling off cold mins like WA had.  Not a typical Nino configuration.  In fact these early cold snaps often favor OR over WA in cases like 2002 and others.  If we see this type of configuration recur into the early winter things could get fun (OR included).

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9