January 2024 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Ya, the Operational models definitely backed off the Arctic connection in recent runs but the GEFS continue to show a number of good hits and trends are (+)....

1.png

That's the unfortunate thing... less cold air to work with now, which would also reduce the lake contribution to snow amounts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's the unfortunate thing... less cold air to work with now, which would also reduce the lake contribution to snow amounts.

The lake warm waters could also be concerning with the lack of true artic air. Places close to the lake could see more rain than snow I would think in this setup unfortunately.

The last 10 runs off the GFS Op...3 days ago it had the arctic connection, then the medium range "Mayhem", but the recent run is trying to go back to the original idea of a deep low with a Polar connection later in the run.

11.gif

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jcwxguy said:

Usually the day 6/7 gfs has issues and gets better. Hopefully this is the case 

This is so true. For whatever reason, we are now right at the timeframe where the GFS usually does a huge pullback and makes everyone say "winter cancel" only to revert back within a few model cycles and show what it had been showing just 24-48 hours earlier. I'd be curious to know what causes that fakeout. Doesn't happen every time but it happens enough where it's noticeable. Heck, it even happened with the Christmas storm just a week or so ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

Latest NBM pared back totals pretty much across the board when compared to its previous run but especially within the area circled in red. Latest run cut totals in half within that area. North of the red area should be able to score some snow with the defo band from the initial low on Friday and below that area will get to work with the larger system on the 9th. Unfortunately, SE SD and into N IA look to be between the various systems and chances are looking increasingly less likely for any meaningful snowfall, barring big swings in the models down the home stretch. 

Hopefully the storm train will continue and that area can get filled in a bit more. As it stands now, these are the exact same spots that have found a way to get screwed so far this season so I'm not really holding my breath. 

Screenshot_20240102_085948_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20240102_090524_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

At least part of that area has been in an extreme drought since early summer

• Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, Tony said:

The lake warm waters could also be concerning with the lack of true artic air. Places close to the lake could see more rain than snow I would think in this setup unfortunately.

That's definitely a concern, at least early on because of the marginal antecedent airmass.  I would think with a GFS/Euro type track/solution that the dynamics would be able to overcome and flip the lakeshore to snow.  Lake temps are currently closer to 40 than 50... the latter would be a big problem (think what happened lakeside in the 11/21/2015 storm).  Really have to get the track nailed down first though because a farther north track like the GEM would introduce ptype concerns in much of Chicago metro irrespective of the lake.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sumweatherdude said:

I know everyone's focused on the upcoming snow chances.  But I've also been watching forecasts for really cold air to finally make its way down here.  Based on the 500mb pattern/blocking, it looks like some really cold stuff should be moving down.  Greenland block and Alaskan ridge.image.thumb.png.9333891f6604a9a220a0282ea71bef5c.png

But the GFS has been trending away from really cold stuff coming down.  It's basically just seasonal temps.  Anyone have any thoughts on why that is?  

image.thumb.png.0cb7ae4d2fc8a1098f0fb2116a93b89c.png

A lot of times I like to look for a "bridge" between AK and the Greenland block. The GFS does this by the end with the cold starting to sink south. In this case that little cut off off the coast might be holding heights up along the western axis...if it merges with the main low pressure it might help pull some cold south by the runs end. Perhaps anyway lol

image.png

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

2 hours ago, tStacsh said:

Man the runs and ensembles have been so consistent.  I still won't look again until thursday lol

Don't worry there is still a lot that can go wrong. It will either be to the north or south of us, but you know how that goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

2nd system next week on the 12z Euro is looking better for my area and Iowa folks...

image.png

Has the looks of a clipper, I'd expect that to trend north. Definitely worth watching, I wouldn't mind you cashing in from that.

• Thanks 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Roughly 30% of EPS members keep Sioux Falls under 2 inches all next week. 18% show 5+ inches. The remaining 52% are somewhere in-between. GEFS shows 33% under 2 inches, 43% at 5+ inches, 24% are somewhere in-between. GEPS shows 15% under 2 inches, 40% are 5+ inches, and 45% are in-between.

What those percentages tell me is things are still very much up in the air but in general, at this point in time, a good bet would land me in the 'in-between' category. Although I'd say there is still a high boom/bust potential. Honestly, as long as I can get more than inch, I'm going to call it a win given how this season has gone so far.

Here's some percentages for a couple other spots. I counted these by hand so they are rough numbers but should be a fairly close representation of where things sit at the moment. Percentages are under 2 inches/5+/in-between and are good for totals through the evening on 1/14. Should be interesting to see how these numbers move over the next 2-3 days...

Omaha

EPS: 32%/30%/38%

GEFS: 40%/57%/3%

GEPS: 10%/85%/5%

Kansas City

EPS: 20%/50%/30%

GEFS: 40%/30%/30%

GEPS: 15%/70%/15%

Des Moines

EPS: 30%/40%/30%

GEFS: 30%/53%/17%

GEPS: 0%/80%/20%

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

18z GFS with a parade of storms over the next two weeks that just continue to dump snow on a large section of the central US.

18zGFSRUN.gif

image.png

Man that would do wonders for a lot of us on here!! Come on!

• Like 6

EPS has some rather bombastic runs re: the storm in 2 weeks, as well.

EPS1.png.5eda99457b481ac78821172301fd98c4.png

EPS2.png.b719cebcf3ab353c1874836a0cc4b700.png

And a couple of members have it as a nor'easter

EPS3.png.6af840d593872c5748fea883f9c29c0b.png

... And most members have no storm at all.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.