January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Have a hard time imagining that detail completely going away at this point with how the models started picking up on it last night. 

But is that the detail that’s causing the problem with the cold further down the line?

Well at least we still have the Seahawks and Huskies to look forward to the next few days. Unbelievable how a stupid low that came out of nowhere ruined the entire winter festivities. Kind of depressing really. 

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

The problem is not the strength. The problem is it shifted form Oregon to the tip of Vancouver island 

I think the northward shift is because of the increase in strength. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

The problem is not the strength. The problem is it shifted form Oregon to the tip of Vancouver island 

That low has always been to the north, previous runs developed a stronger secondary low that crashed into central Oregon coast. Now that feature is an open wave and doesn’t help drive cold air south.

• Like 2

Oh no...doom and gloom. 

😕

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Good morning! Up to 4" of snow now with atleaat a couple more inches on the way, temp is 28.5! 

image.thumb.png.f46c2acca2d8850ffd77f4f62db594e9.png

• Like 8

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

4 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

This is going to be more of the same for the GFS. Maybe not as horrific as the 6z but probably worse than the 0z

12Z run is warmer for Thursday than the 00Z run but a little cooler than the 06Z run.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like a bit of a forecast bust in bend, that's gotta be about inches and a half or so!  Not surprising, we almost always get more snow than forecast.

image.png.6b63c8a4b9a1e3c0a429b34abbaf1469.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

I was talking more about Friday to Sunday period but yeah Thursday way warmer now

I updated my post...  its actually cooler than the 06Z run by Thursday afternoon.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

They’ve been having a conversation for over 10 minutes now about all the prep they’re going to do. This is hard to listen to.

Tell them the truth and maybe it will be a reverse jinx.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Help me understand this…December 2008…Originally the kickoff to the festivities was going to be a day or two earlier because of a low placement that was originally supposed to make landfall through southern WA but ended up being stronger and further north so we were all rain. It delayed things by a day or two but we still went to epicness. Why isn’t that the case this time? 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It isn't looking good but it's not completely over yet. If we still have 30% of ensembles, the 12z ecmwf,and perhaps the gem too, there's still a chance. Otherwise, not looking very good....

16 minutes ago, AbbyJr said:

But is that the detail that’s causing the problem with the cold further down the line?

Hard to say if that low really has much implications for what happens Thursday to Saturday.  It’ll come down to the upstream blocking later in the week and how much the trough digs SW.  that strong low doesn’t look like it really has much impact on the location of that polar lobe in northern Alberta. 

• Like 3

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

Hard to say if that low really has much implications for what happens Thursday to Saturday.  It’ll come down to the upstream blocking later in the week and how much the trough digs SW.  that strong low doesn’t look like it really has much impact on the location of that polar lobe in northern Alberta. 

It really isn't the low. The blocking needs to be better. I think it will turn out okay.

• Like 2

12Z GEM is definitely still on board... abandoning the idea of the low backing up and parking itself north of the border.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

Here and the EMCWF will follow 

gem-all-or_wa-total_snow_kuchera-5104000.png

gem-all-or_wa-t850_c_dprog-5093200.png

Yep... arctic front snow on this run.    Probably won't be a snowy later on like its 00Z run but this run looks more like the 00Z ECMWF.

gem-all-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-5104000.png

• Like 3
  • Snow 1