1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

5 minutes ago, Money said:

Will likely track just south of Chicago this run

D64E34D0-25F5-4280-80E4-6E42AB8F4E32.png

I've never actually observed a sub 980 mb pressure at my house, so that would be mildly interesting.  Still would personally rather see a track a bit farther southeast though.  

The Euro expands the defo zone northwest across eastern Iowa, but the heavier part of the zone still tracks farther southeast, from northern Missouri up through Chicago.  I'll certainly take 6-7 inches.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

16 minutes ago, KTPmidMO said:

What is Cobb?

A different way of figuring snow ratios.

The Cobb method algorithm incorporates vertical velocities, relative humidities, and temperatures from NWP data to determine snowfall totals. Snow ratios are calculated from the vertical velocities, relative humidities, and temperatures for each layer of a cloud column.

Personally down in MO-  I stick with Kuchera. It's  (COBB) more commonly used with extreme high snow ratios -- (30:1 to even 40:1. )

Snow/Liquid Ratio
The snow/liquid ratio (SLR) is computed using the 2011 Cobb-Waldsteicher method.1 We
compute the SLR for each member of the SREF by looking at the debiased sounding2 for layers
with sufficient moisture (>90% RH with respect to ice) and rising vertical motion (negative
omega). If these conditions are met for at least 11 of the 21 SREF members, then we will
produce a probabilistic SLR forecast.
The spread of the probabilistic SLR forecast is calculated from the standard deviation of the SLR
member forecasts. Box-and-whisker plots are then generated from these probabilities.
SLR can be computed regardless of whether or not it is cold enough to snow. As a result, it can
produce some unrealistic values.
We constrain the SLR for each ensemble member to be no
more than 30-to-1.
Once the standard deviation is used to create the probabilistic SLR, some probability levels can
be less than zero. We set any probabilistic SLR values that are less than one to one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Given the latest ensemble averages, it's looking like 5-7" here.

• Like 3

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Being DMX this AM was 2-5" -- I'am going 4-6", but knowing DMX I may be too high. They often times do not forecast higher totals until its evident and happening.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

28 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Being DMX this AM was 2-5" -- I'am going 4-6", but knowing DMX I may be too high. They often times do not forecast higher totals until its evident and happening.

Its been my observation  that these deeper lows almost always  go further  north than progged. I bet i80 east of dmx gets huge totals. Our company  here in Ottumwa  are planning on 6 to 10, possibly  11 or 12".. We have 70 commercial  sites so this may be one of our more  stressful  events since the ground hog day 2011.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Its been my observation  that these deeper lows almost always  go further  north than progged. I bet i80 east of dmx gets huge totals. Our company  here in Ottumwa  are planning on 6 to 10, possibly  11 or 12".. We have 70 commercial  sites so this may be one of our more  stressful  events since the ground hog day 2011.

Stressful but $$$ in the bank!!!!

• Like 2

Around here I'm going with like a 70/30 blend of Kuchera and the snow depth maps for amounts.  Kuchera may work the best farther west (Iike Iowa) where it will be a little colder, but I don't think it will quite work here.  

I can't imagine the upper low is going to track over Kansas City, as the NAM is predicting.  Other models track it from Oklahoma to southeast Missouri.

• Like 6

The NAM has the surface low tracking over Cedar Rapids... hundreds of miles northwest of all other models.  C'mon, man.  This is trash.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I can't imagine the upper low is going to track over Kansas City, as the NAM is predicting.  Other models track it from Oklahoma to southeast Missouri.

Update:  The surface low tracking over Cedar Rapids?  C'mon, man.  This is trash.

It very well may be. But it did set a decent trend from the 06Z and 12Z runs.