Just now, AbbyJr said:

Do you think that solution is pretty much locked in now or is there still time a miracle?

There’s always time for a miracle. That’s why they’re called miracles.

But I have yet to see one in my 20+ years of watching model guidance. I’ve seen plenty of anti-miracles, though. 🤮 

• Like 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Model riding punishes my hubris.

We’re all gluttons for punishment…

Still think Tuesday is the action day. Either all in or all out. 

• Like 6

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, AbbyJr said:

Do you think that solution is pretty much locked in now or is there still time a miracle?

The models can definitely still shift back toward a colder solution. Maybe not as cold but they definitely can

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

Are you going to UO now???

Yep! 

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, Phil said:

There’s always time for a miracle. That’s why they’re called miracles.

But I have yet to see one in my 20+ years of watching model guidance. I’ve seen plenty of anti-miracles, though. 🤮 

Really? Even not an event where a little snow is forecasted and a lot falls? Happens all the time here. Or are you talking larger scale flips?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

What are your thoughts on the January 1998 comparisons? Do you think that this is the type setup historically that we would see a big valley/metro ice storm?

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean I guess it could come back, technically the features presented are still just modeled at this point right?  except maybe the -nao?

I'm not paying attention to that granularity level because I don't pay for full model access so not sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Really? Even not an event where a little snow is forecasted and a lot falls? Happens all the time here. Or are you talking larger scale flips?

I’m talking about the airmass itself, not mesoscale stuff. This is somewhat anecdotal, but out here guidance is often too aggressive both in advecting arctic air into, and out of, the region. It’s generally more slow and stubborn on both ends.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Is there ever a time when things aren't pretty settled by 48 hours out? Can't think of an Arctic blast that was/wasn't modeled within 2 days and then suddenly things flipped.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

Is there ever a time when things aren't pretty settled by 48 hours out? Can't think of an Arctic blast that was/wasn't modeled within 2 days and then suddenly things flipped.

Which is why I asked the same question earlier. Don’t ever recall a flip within 2 days. I think there’s still a bit of time left but the window is fast closing. We’ll see how the models goes tomorrow but should be settled by Tuesday imo. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Wtf is wunderground on?

471B0AA3-D660-4F76-B1B6-734EB94FD233.png

Shows this for me lol.

IMG_6403.jpeg

• Like 3
  • lol 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

3 minutes ago, luvssnow_seattle said:

Always the one to be so shocked and the last to see the writing on wall. 😁

Deep down inside he knew it was tenuous. Yesterday I offered to wager him on whether or not it would moderate and he declined.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

I have definitely seen models change wildly within a couple days for sure. I’ve also seen models over the years showing an arctic blast and snow storms all the way to the event and nothing ever happened. So it is definitely possible to change around a little more. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Deep down inside he knew it was tenuous. Yesterday I offered to wager him on whether or not it would moderate and he declined.

I think a model compromise was inevitable because of how far apart they were.

• Like 1

To be clear. This has been a hugely positive shift for Seattle and surrounding areas.

sure a single digit freeze would be fun for a day. But I’ll take 30 and snowy any day.

i know I know. Euro doesn’t show the snow!! It’s there. I promise. Been doing this long enough. Gfs was on to it the entire time.

So Washingtonians. Dont let your Oregon brethren get you down. This has multi day epic snow storm written all over it.

Champagne should be popping.

oh. And that is why weather underground shows that snow for Bothell, because it’s coming.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Troll 3
  • Facepalm 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

4 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

To be clear. This has been a hugely positive shift for Seattle and surrounding areas.

sure a single digit freeze would be fun for a day. But I’ll take 30 and snowy any day.

i know I know. Euro doesn’t show the snow!! It’s there. I promise. Been doing this long enough. Gfs was on to it the entire time.

So Washingtonians. Dont let your Oregon brethren get you down. This has multi day epic snow storm written all over it.

oh. And that is why weather underground shows that snow for Bothell, because it’s coming.

100% I think this is gonna turn out awesome! 

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

4 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

That forecast is too optimistic

• scream 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

Hope this doesn’t turn into a Canadian only event. Just being real. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

That forecast is too optimistic

Probably, but Washington posters have no reason to be gloomy right now considering every model shows either significant cold or snow for you guys 

• Like 5

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

The system on Tuesday night is interesting.   It comes in south of Seattle which usually means east wind up here.  But the ECMWF shows south wind up here and to the south of the system.   Can't remember ever seeing that before.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_1hr_inch-4866400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-4866400.png

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**