January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

23 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Tim will not be happy. 

I don't think it will last long enough or be cold enough to be that bad.    For reasons stated several times.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

34 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Beating you this second!! 26.4! 

Is your station up on Weather Underground?  I notice a station just off English Grade Rd that seems to agree with your readings posted here.  The site is named Trillium Park.  Is that you?

5 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

Is your station up on Weather Underground?  I notice a station just off English Grade Rd that seems to agree with your readings posted here.  The site is named Trillium Park.  Is that you?

No, I tried last year to get it online but kept having connectivity issues for some reason. I think the one you see is about a quarter mile north of me so our numbers should be quite comparable. One difference is that they are nearly 50’ lower in elevation and pretty treeless in a newer small development just to the left of my arrow. they always have less snow than me during marginal events. 

IMG_1898.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

No, I tried last year to get it online but kept having connectivity issues for some reason. I think the one you see is about a quarter mile north of me so our numbers should be quite comparable. One difference is that they are nearly 50’ lower in elevation and pretty treeless in a newer small development just to the left of my arrow. they always have less snow than me during marginal events. 

IMG_1898.jpeg

I never could get mine online either.  Not easy. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I don't think it will last long enough or be cold enough to be that bad.    For reasons stated several times.    

Come on Tim…I know you want a big ice event!! 

• lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

14 minutes ago, MossMan said:

IMG_1898.jpeg

I’m KWAARLIN42 if you ever get bored enough to look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is why a bad ice storm is unlikely.   The ECMWF is much more reliable with precip amounts and temps during freezing rain event are marginal for significant accumulation.      

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-frzr_total-5579200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-5492800.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That being said... I am certain schools will be delayed or closed Wednesday out here because the school district won't want to risk it.   Probably many other places too.

• Like 3
  • Shivering 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This is why a bad ice storm is unlikely.   The ECMWF is much more reliable with precip amounts and temps during freezing rain event are marginal for significant accumulation.      

It shows me with over 1/2” and I’ve lived here for 33 years and never had anything close to that amount

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Hmmm…That shows more ice and cooler temps at my place…

4 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

It shows me with over 1/2” and I’ve lived here for 33 years and never had anything close to that amount

I was just going to say….

8 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

But it won't be that high due to marginal temps.  And it shows less than GFS.  And half inch isn't really that bad either.  

I have no doubt that Seattle will see freezing rain up until the warm front passes through on Wednesday morning. So around 1/3” of ice (assuming it all freezes which it won’t). I’m sure schools will close and most people will stay home, by the evening it should be fine.

The good news is that the warmup will be quick and widespread so this doesn’t look like it will be a disaster. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I have no doubt that Seattle will see freezing rain up until the warm front passes through on Wednesday morning. So around 1/3” of ice (assuming it all freezes which it won’t). I’m sure schools will close and most people will stay home, by the evening it should be fine.

The good news is that the warmup will be quick and widespread so this doesn’t look like it will be a disaster. 

My thinking too.   It will be disruptive for sure.   But not catastrophic like what happened in Oregon in Feb 2021..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I hope you’re right but others have said the models tend to scour out the low level cold air too fast. I think that would be especially true by the foothills. That said, maybe the east winds will eat into our precip… something I hate during snow but would love here!

• scream 1

Just now, MV_snow said:

I hope you’re right but others have said the models tend to scour out the low level cold air too fast. I think that would be especially true by the foothills. That said, maybe the east winds will eat into our precip… something I hate during snow but would love here!

The temps starting out with this event versus December 2022. Is a big difference. Rain started at 24 degrees here. Would be closer to freezing at the start this time. 

• Like 1

Assuming the 23 is the highest today, that's the 2nd record cold high in a row (old record 24 in 1950). Tomorrow's record cold high is 28 in 2017. I think we can kiss that one goodbye. 

Tomorrow's record low is 19 (the warmest record low in January). That's also in serious danger. 

Another 0.1 inch of snow makes this month contain 1.7 inches. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

How is the 18z euro looking for low placement?

IMG_6510.png

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

But it won't be that high due to marginal temps.  And it shows less than GFS.  And half inch isn't really that bad either.  

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Shows my area being in the 29-30 degree range and with how cold all the surfaces are…But like I said I know nothing about ice forecasting. How do the dew points look leading into this? 

1 minute ago, Winterdog said:

Seattle topped out at 31 today and currently at 28.  Looking good for a below normal month since they are sitting at somewhere around 37 for an average through the 13th

I beat you again! I hit 28.6!