January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

HRRR showing a snow depth of around 7-8" in the Spokane metro in 4 hours when the snow is supposed to wrap up for this round.  00z Euro last night called for an average 7.5" in Spokane metro.  UNCANNY

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 2.29.25 PM.png

How much do you currently have?

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Just now, Front Ranger said:

CZ reforming again north and south of Everett. More surprises on tap for this evening.

Yeah this is an unexpected surprise! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Calling for 1-3 inches here tomorrow, mm5 shows around 6-8, It will be close for temps but what is interesting is with offshore winds lasting clear through Thursday night it could be a long period of wet snow out here. There are plenty of examples of this out here over the years in marginal situations. Amounts could easily be warning range.

• Like 7

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 hours ago, Skagit Weather said:

Went out for a run before the snow stopped. I love the colors of the water when the lowering clouds bring snow. Ended up with about 3” here and temperature has dropped to 31F with a light north wind.

IMG_9428.thumb.jpeg.7f127522fb47c1ce09b3fb0bf08b6d15.jpeg

IMG_9423.thumb.jpeg.e8bf0eaf2c67cd0ef616d153be1c4750.jpeg

IMG_9435.thumb.jpeg.2a2845c043ef1a4555e59babe840c547.jpeg

Super gorgeous pictures, love seeing the ice chunks on the water in particular. Thanks for sharing!

Snowing/slushing in S.Seattle/Renton pretty decently for the last 30 or so, although not sticking. Topped out at 36, and now starting to drop again at 34.9. Me gusta!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Even though it was only 2” it was nice that today wasn’t a true overrunner…Trees are still flocked with flurries again instead of meltfest and slop 

Yeah, that's what I was appreciating too. We're going to end up having a full day with snow on the ground and trees which is better than I was expecting even a couple days ago. Really lovely.

• Like 4

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The screw zone on this evet just keeps getting smaller and smaller, but I'm still in it.  Really frustrating.

It has been plain stupid. I have had a 1/4 inch so far the entire event and i probable will get hit hard tomorrow in the end of it all. i would trade the 6 inches i might get tomorrow for 3 inches going into this deal.

• Like 1

Stronger cold signal on the 18 GEFS.

1706680800-8MAOn8ljDHE.png

• Like 7
  • Excited 1
  • scream 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

55 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Low level cold hung on a lot longer as usual. Thought I might have a chance of getting to work today but the car is still a popsicle and the side roads very treacherous.

Impressive that even mets who have been here for many years still bust on this. Mark's forecast last night for 4PM in Portland was FORTY SIX DEGREES. Currently 32.

East metro and west/south metro is a different ball game. 

But yes, even over here it is only 37F

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Wind has gone calm at PDX, and they are sitting at freezing at the 3 o’clock hour. I wonder if the southerlies will break through there soon.

Still have light easterlies here, and holding at 31. Pouring out there but it’s close enough to freezing now where ice isn’t accumulating as quickly.

I'm glad I opted to stay home from work tonight. I'm still not sure how tomorrow will play out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The screw zone on this evet just keeps getting smaller and smaller, but I'm still in it.  Really frustrating.

Don’t worry you are not alone. There is a thin line of showers right along I-90 and it refuses to budge even 5 miles. An invisible force field 😆

Sure hope the GFS is right and spreads that precip out east of 18

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Cold hanging on at the cabin area nice, 8 degrees and still has not been above ten degress for 5 days

The fact that this event was so solidly cold in January is the only reason I'm not totally bummed right now.  Just partially.

We all know the Puget Sound region will get hit again with future events.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Don’t worry you are not alone. There is a thin line of showers right along I-90 and it refuses to budge even 5 miles. An invisible force field 😆

Sure hope the GFS is right and spreads that precip out east of 18

When the low center moves east everything should sag south if it isn't dead already.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This late month threat is at least to the point of being worth it to talk about now.  This GEFS run has a decent look on the mean at month's end..

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Pretty sad for sure here as well in Tacoma. Even just an inch of snow last Thursday would’ve made this event so much more enjoyable. The historic cold was awesome but definitely sucks to be too dry on 1/11. Then too far north on 1/13…then too far south today. 
 Trying to look on the bright side of how well we’ve done in the winters before this one though. It was record smashing cold for sure and that was cool. We were due for a dud snow event and a high end blast. Didn’t think we would be crossing both of those off the list at the same time lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

When the low center moves east everything should sag south if it isn't dead already.

The warm air made it to shelton, 41 degrees! the offshore wind better kick in soon there if they are going to get snow

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The warm air made it to shelton, 41 degrees! the offshore wind better kick in soon there if they are going to get snow

Southerlies punched in for a few hours here this morning and we hit 43 degrees. Then a few hours ago offshore flow returned and we’re down to 37. 

• Like 1

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I am mad at myself i didn't go over to my place for the peak of the cold and wind.  I didn't want to miss anything at home is the truth but it would of neat to see blowing snow and -28 degrees.

I think there might have been  a couple of -30s in the state during this.  That is getting real.

The only other cold wave of this magnitude with such a bad screw job on snow that I've seen was December 1983.  Late December / early January 1978-79 is the other one that really stands out.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I think there might have been  a couple of -30s in the state during this.  That is getting real.

The only other cold wave of this magnitude with such a bad screw job on snow that I've seen was December 1983.  Late December / early January 1978-79 is the other one that really stands out.

There was, the station south of me 3 miles hit -36! i will find it and show it to you.

• scream 1

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Pretty sad for sure here as well in Tacoma. Even just an inch of snow last Thursday would’ve made this event so much more enjoyable. The historic cold was awesome but definitely sucks to be too dry on 1/11. Then too far north on 1/13…then too far south today. 
 Trying to look on the bright side of how well we’ve done in the winters before this one though. It was record smashing cold for sure and that was cool. We were due for a dud snow event and a high end blast. Didn’t think we would be crossing both of those off the list at the same time lol. 

Good points.  This does have a bitter sweet aspect to it.  I guess even seeing the cold in a strong Nino in January makes it worth the price of admission.  This decade has really performed so far.  Kind of like the 1920s.  Rest assured we will get snow again.

I did have the added benefit of my high only making 35 today.  A nice run of cold max temps and tomorrow will be another.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

It was 13/6 at The Dalles on Saturday.

Yeah, it looked pretty but didn’t sound right to me either. Looks like their coldest overall day of the event was yesterday, with a 13/-2 spread. Still impressive.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes