March 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

IMG_3373.jpeg

Close to 80 degree weather was just around the corner then! 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cold morning. Down to 24 here, 28 at SLE. 

• Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

8 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I find it humorous our idiotic legislature approved permanent daylight savings a few years ago and now has approved permanent standard time…

Standard time is better on the body.  I'd rather have that.  the days will still be plenty long in the Summer

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Standard time is better on the body.  I'd rather have that.  the days will still be plenty long in the Summer

Sun would rise at 3:50 a.m. and set at 7:50 p.m. there if we didn't move clocks ahead and move that hour of daylight from when you are sleeping to the evening.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 hours ago, iFred said:

Looks like I’ll get that early season melt off after all. I figure once all the forests burn down; then we won’t have to contend with a smoke season anymore.

Sounds promising for Mark Nelsens hiking trip.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sun would rise at 3:50 a.m. and set at 7:50 p.m. there if we didn't move clocks ahead and move that hour of daylight from when you are sleeping to the evening.  

That's perfect. I get up at 2:30am and go to bed at 7pm. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

What a beautiful sunny and frosty morning. Low of 26 here. With all the clouds last evening I wouldn’t have expected this morning to be colder than yesterday, but they melted away nicely and there have been no low clouds or fog to contend with this morning.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

9 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

How was the 98-99 winter for the PNW?

Extremely snowy in the mountains. Had an impressive dry blast in Dec.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

My walkways are reappearing. 
This has been the best week of the 2023/24 season. 

IMG_3377.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

We are heading to cabin Friday, Going to be a snowy weekend at the cabin.looks like about 4-8 inches and the snow level stays below 3k feet, we are 3800. Hopefully the death ridge only stays a couple few days. It would be terrible to loose most of that precious mountain snow so early. I spend a BUNCH of time in the woods in the high country, much more than almost anyone on here and the snowpack issues are very noticeable.  The Okanagan highlands are only about 65% and that death ridge will wipe out most of that snowpack much to early. March and early April are big snow months there above 4k feet. 

Edited by MR.SNOWMIZER
  • Like 6
  • Weenie 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

11 degrees currently, low of 0. We came close to a subzero low temp, but didn't quite make it.

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

Models are really digging their heels in for record breaking ridging starting later next week. Because when does ridging not bring record highs anymore? Could get pretty ugly. It’s a shame we couldn’t get to enjoy a typical March warm spell with some 60s to around 70. Right now upper air progs would support temps getting close to 80 at face value 🤮 

• Excited 2
  • Sad 2
  • Sick 1

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Models are really digging their heels in for record breaking ridging starting later next week. Because when does ridging not bring record highs anymore? Could get pretty ugly. It’s a shame we couldn’t get to enjoy a typical March warm spell with some 60s to around 70. Right now upper air progs would support temps getting close to 80 at face value 🤮 

Me and You actually see the problem with this stuff, A couple other people on here only see the opportunity to cruise down to the grocery store with there sunglasses and shorts on pretending to live in a warm climate. We get a couple weeks of winter weather and then have to suffer through a record ridge and warmth. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m worried the snowpack will be quickly decimated this spring. We can’t afford a warm spring at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Me and You actually see the problem with this stuff, A couple other people on here only see the opportunity to cruise down to the grocery store with there sunglasses and shorts on pretending to live in a warm climate. We get a couple weeks of winter weather and then have to suffer through a record ridge and warmth. 

Dude... it is what it is.    None of us can change anything.   Who cares what people think about the weather?  Everyone has their likes and dislikes.   None of it matters.    We have only discussed this about a million times.    

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I’m worried the snowpack will be quickly decimated this spring. We can’t afford a warm spring at this point. 

My hope is that a death ridge popping up this early means that there will be a snap back later in the spring. But that has burned me before and we’ve just ended up getting an early starting summer. It’s not always just as simple as warm ups and cool downs!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

There's a big difference between hoping for a few 62 degree days in March which we get almost every year vs. smashing all-time monthly records. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And i love warm weather just like anyone else but i see no enjoyment of it in march and early April when i know for a fact it is increasing our fire danger every hr that goes by. A couple years ago i had to watch a large part of the Okanagan burn and had to empty out my cabin in fear of loosing it. Scary stuff. These dry spells in March and April are causing major issues.

• Like 2

Just now, the_convergence_zone said:

There's a big difference between hoping for a few 62 degree days in March which we get almost every year vs. smashing all-time monthly records. 

Glad to see the December flower garden guy is going to tell us about reasonable expectations ;)

• Weenie 3

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And i love warm weather just like anyone else but i see no enjoyment of it in march and early April when i know for a fact it is increasing our fire danger every hr that goes by. A couple years ago i had to watch a large part of the Okanagan burn and had to empty out my cabin in fear of loosing it. Scary stuff. These dry spells in March and April are causing major issues.

The somewhat reassuring news is that the climate models predict that spring will trend wetter with a warming planet. But that may manifest as deluges interspersed with torch ridges. And wet springs are known to be bad for fire danger as well, particularly in the grassy areas east of the Cascades. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

19 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

We are so fuckked here. Smoke city again by late July.

• Sad 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Dude... it is what it is.    None of us can change anything.   Who cares what people think about the weather?  Everyone has their likes and dislikes.   None of it matters.    We have only discussed this about a million times.    

We’re still allowed to voice our displeasure when we end up with weather that leads to us having to wear gas masks inside the house by Aug-Sept and brings us some 35-45 days of 90F+ temps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Popcorn 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

5 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

We are so fuckked here. Smoke city again by late July.

2019 had a record warm spell in March after a long cold spell and that summer ended up being almost smoke-free.  On other hand... winter went through May in 2022 and it ended up being horribly smoky. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

We’re still allowed to voice our displeasure when we end up with weather that leads to us having to wear gas masks inside the house by Aug-Sept and brings us some 35-45 days of 90F+ temps.

Sure... voice your own opinion all you want.    I am saying that complaining about how other people feel is totally pointless.  

1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Very cold for march, Cabin was 28 yesterday and had a low of 2.1 above. That is almost the coldest i have seen in march there since i got the land.

El Niño El Nino’d all over us this season.  It is what it is, if we get a mega super Nina next season the mountains will most likely be at record high snow depth levels…Hopefully! 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I feel like we have this conversation all the time leading up to the warm season. What happens leading up to the warm season…especially this early doesn’t mean that much for how bad the fire season will be.  A warm dry spring overall can be a bad thing coupled with a hot summer. However it can be mitigated by late spring/early summer rain. Or lots of marine layer days throughout the summer and a lack of big offshore winds in early fall. 

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

Just now, TacomaWx said:

I feel like we have this conversation all the time leading up to the warm season. What happens leading up to the warm season…especially this early doesn’t mean that much for how bad the fire season will be.  A warm dry spring overall can be a bad thing coupled with a hot summer. However it can be mitigated by late spring/early summer rain. Or lots of marine layer days throughout the summer and a lack of big offshore winds in early fall. 

Yeah…but since a hot summer with little rainfall and pretty much zero marine layer has become the norm lately it puts a little more pressure on the springtime. Weren’t you the one saying we would never see a summer even as cool as 2019 ever again?

At any rate zapping our recently recovered snowpack by the second half of March isn’t going to do us a whole lot of good regardless of what happens later on.

37 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

At face value it only looks like a few days of a strong ridge. The snow pack will survive. Lots of windows in April and even May to build more. It will be a pleasant weekend and a great jump start for all the flowers/bugs. 

Also, nothing we can do about it but observe. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)