April 2024 Weather in the PNW

49 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Dry, exacerbate the drought, YAY!

If its any consolation... the "drought" prone areas are generally related to mountain snow and its really hard to make up mountain snow deficits in May regardless of the pattern.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If its any consolation... the "drought" prone areas are generally related to mountain snow and its really hard to make up mountain snow deficits in May regardless of the pattern.

image.png

A lot of good can happen in May/June, we could be building the snowpack rather than melting it, and that would make a huge posotive difference on the snowpack.

• Like 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

57 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

A lot of good can happen in May/June, we could be building the snowpack rather than melting it, and that would make a huge posotive difference on the snowpack.

True.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

image.png

Shouldn’t you be sipping martinis on the beach right now? 🌴 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil said:

Shouldn’t you be sipping martinis on the beach right now? 🌴 

Next week.

• Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

For the first 20 days of June 2022 there was only one day here without rain and only 2 days at SEA with 0.00 for the day.   But for the first 10 days of the month it was a warm, humid rain.     

Then it only rained on 5 days from June 20 - October 20.  

Zero days at my house from June 16th to October 22nd. 4" of snow on Nov 4th

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Nice to see widespread lows in the 30s again this morning. PDX decoupled more quickly and actually got a degree or two colder than last night it appears.

Low of 36 here with some light frost but not as much as yesterday. Still impressive to see frost on back to back mornings this late.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The 12z CMC would put any drought worries to bed.

Yes... this would solve everything.  ;)

gem-all-conus-qpf_anom_10day-4305600 (1).png

28 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Too bad random model runs can’t end drought. It takes actual rain!

I’m actually optimistic about a wetter pattern as the MJO returns to the E-Hem. Maybe not quite to the level of the 12z CMC, but in that general direction. There’s nothing in the system state to suggest 2024 will be a dry tinderbox in the PNW.

That said, those in CA/SW US should keep a watchful eye as the second half of this year could flip dry. Good thing those reservoirs are filled to the brim because La Niña will take no prisoners once it establishes.

Only “good” news is we shouldn’t have the godzilla-like 4CH roasting the intermountain west this summer. Will be at least somewhat flatter/suppressed, but not to the extent of 2008 where it was almost nonexistent. More likely to resemble 2020 or 2010.

It probably won’t be enough to stop a very warm summer nationally, though. The broader mid-latitude pattern looks ugly, and I suspect the entire lower-48 (including WA/OR) will run warmer than average. But the nastiest stuff will probably center in the Plains or Midwest, not at the coasts.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... this would solve everything.  ;)

gem-all-conus-qpf_anom_10day-4305600 (1).png

The first 5 days are dry but the faucet of life 💦 turns on week-2.

If the pattern evolved exactly as modeled, it actually might “solve” a lot (esp extrapolating that pattern forward). Doesn’t mean it will verify but it’s one of the possibilities.

IMG_1991.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

The first 5 days are dry but the faucet of life 💦 turns on week-2.

If the pattern evolved exactly as modeled, it actually might “solve” a lot (esp extrapolating that pattern forward). Doesn’t mean it will verify but it’s one of the possibilities.

IMG_1991.png

ECMWF looks somewhat similar but not real wet.   Looks like we won't be missing any warm, sunny weather while we are gone.    Need it to be stormy starting next Wednesday!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

12Z ECMWF shows only .47 in Seattle and .28 in Portland over next 10 days.   Not exactly crazy wet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m actually optimistic about a wetter pattern as the MJO returns to the E-Hem. Maybe not quite to the level of the 12z CMC, but in that general direction. There’s nothing in the system state to suggest 2024 will be a dry tinderbox in the PNW.

That said, those in CA/SW US should keep a watchful eye as the second half of this year could flip dry. Good thing those reservoirs are filled to the brim because La Niña will take no prisoners once it establishes.

Only “good” news is we shouldn’t have the godzilla-like 4CH roasting the intermountain west this summer. Will be at least somewhat flatter/suppressed, but not to the extent of 2008 where it was almost nonexistent. More likely to resemble 2020 or 2010.

It probably won’t be enough to stop a very warm summer nationally, though. The broader mid-latitude pattern looks ugly, and I suspect the entire lower-48 (including WA/OR) will run warmer than average. But the nastiest stuff will probably center in the Plains or Midwest, not at the coasts.

Funny enough, the last few big snowpack years in CA were all  *drumroll... Niñas!

2010-11, 2016-17, 2022-23.

La Niña truly brings the nourishing juices of life to all. Particularly to the Mid Atlantic states, where it allows the newly-native flora to thrive as it works to further expedite the transfer of the humid subtropical climate/bioregion into your neck of the woods.

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • lol 2
  • Shivering 1

Man it's gorgeous out.   Piercing blue sky and pleasant temp.   Perfect April weather.

A week ago Phil was talking about this period being a Jesse-tastic pattern.    Turns out it's a pattern almost everyone loves.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Man it's gorgeous out.   Piercing blue sky and pleasant temp.   Perfect April weather.

A week ago Phil was talking about this period being a Jesse-tastic pattern.    Turns out it's a pattern almost everyone loves.

The cool dry mornings have been really nice.  Lawns are dried out for mowing almost as soon as the frost is gone.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, T-Town said:

RIP Dickey Betts. 

Oof. This one’s gotta be hitting my dad pretty hard. He was a FANATIC. Not too many bands can pull off an 11/4 groove (Whipping Post).

RIP

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

Oof. This one’s gotta be hitting my dad pretty hard. He was a FANATIC. Not too many bands can pull off an 11/4 groove (Whipping Post).

RIP

There’s a great documentary called After the Crash that talks about how they continued on and really produced some of their best stuff after Duane Allman was killed. Quite the rock and roll saga. Im a sucker for that stuff. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, T-Town said:

There’s a great documentary called After the Crash that talks about how they continued on and really produced some of their best stuff after Duane Allman was killed. Quite the rock and roll saga. Im a sucker for that stuff. 

I’ve watched Rush Beyond the Lighted Stage more times than I’m willing to admit.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

A very nice 69F and beautiful out there.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

On 4/14/2024 at 9:51 PM, Mercurial said:

Went to the local beach on Whitefish Lake today.  People swimming, boating, beaching, and vibing.  In April.  In Montana.  I feel like we're going to pay dearly for this bliss come August. 🫠

437784883_10232626168374562_436101287763

My friend was in Missoula yesterday and said it snowed 2" between 10am and Noon. Quite the shift!

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Not sure what NOAA is seeing... 

image.png

Yeah they are even saying May is probably going to torch for us. I feel like this isn’t going to be as hot as last May though.

IMG_7206.gif

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3