December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

It the 12z Euro is correct w/ the wave train/NAO, the PV will be blown to bits, followed by resurgence of the -EPO under a favorable BDC/TF response. If the GFS is correct..well, let's hope it's not..

Off topic. Was 1943 a nasty winter around the northwest? A customer came in to my shop friday and he was around 90yrs old. He told me he has lived in port orchard since 1940 so of course I had weather question. I asked what was the deepest snow he had seen in town and without hesitation he said there was 4 ft in 1943!. Said power was out for 2 weeks. Wow imagine if that happened today.

Looks pretty cold and snowy...

"On January 15, 1943, snow and a cold snap hits Puget Sound and is the worst cold weather in more than 20 years. War production ceases, schools and stores close, and the U.S. Army temporarily lifts restrictions on weather reports. On Friday, January 15, 1943, snow began falling throughout Puget Sound, but what was obvious to residents could not be reported in the media. Wartime restrictions on information prohibited weather reports. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer had some fun with the regulations."

link to photos and details: http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=3623

It the 12z Euro is correct w/ the wave train/NAO, the PV will be blown to bits, followed by resurgence of the -EPO under a favorable BDC/TF response. If the GFS is correct..well, let's hope it's not..

do you really think us small people know what the wave train/NAO THE PV , -EPO , BDC/TF IS. YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE SO SMART. lets dummy down a little so that I a common folk can understand your smartness.

do you really think us small people know what the wave train/NAO THE PV , -EPO , BDC/TF IS. YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE SO SMART. lets dummy down a little so that I a common folk can understand your smartness.

if know one understands what you post. why post

I don't understand this post.

All of these posts make me more confused than a retarded virgin in a ** house....

• Like 1

Please explain. I really don't know what is being said here. Thanks from a professional met!

• Like 4

Off topic. Was 1943 a nasty winter around the northwest? A customer came in to my shop friday and he was around 90yrs old. He told me he has lived in port orchard since 1940 so of course I had weather question. I asked what was the deepest snow he had seen in town and without hesitation he said there was 4 ft in 1943!. Said power was out for 2 weeks. Wow imagine if that happened today.

That was a great stretch for the PNW in January 1943. Single day snowfalls of 14.4" at PDX and 10.0" at Newport still stand as all time records.

HR 60 and I'm only posting this frame to show the much stronger low west of Juneau undergoing strong cyclogenesis.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014122100/gfs_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

Still amazing that the 1002 low south of the Great Lakes may bomb out into the 960's.

Stupid question time!

If 00z (Midnight "Zulu," or Greenwich Mean Time) is 4:00 p.m. PST, then why do the "00z" models come out at 7:35, 8:05, and 10:00 p.m. PST?  Does the term "00z" refer to when the data starts being processed as opposed to when the model runs are actually released?

Thanks

It's not a stupid question, but I wish I could better answer it. It makes sense what you're saying that model data initialization begins at 4 PM.

• Like 1

Stupid question time!

If 00z (Midnight "Zulu," or Greenwich Mean Time) is 4:00 p.m. PST, then why do the "00z" models come out at 7:35, 8:05, and 10:00 p.m. PST?  Does the term "00z" refer to when the data starts being processed as opposed to when the model runs are actually released?

Thanks

It refers to the data initialization time.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ah ha!  And then perhaps it takes the NWS several additional hours to analyze the model outputs, which is why the forecast which incorporates the 00z models doesn't come out until around 3 a.m. PST (only one hour before the next model run begins at 12z)?  I've always wondered why the times don't seem to match up better.

And Poulsbo Snowman has a good take on it as well, initialization is the start point of data, the outcome being  outputted takes time.

Cool it, seriously. This stuff is pretty basic.