February 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

12z Euro Ensembles looking amazing from the Plains/Lakes over the next 2 weeks.  Good luck trying to run a snow storm into the kinda warmth the 12z Euro Ensembles are seeing along the East Coast.  The -PNA is going to be our "friend" finally for the central CONUS.  This will probably be one of the best setups for storms in our region this Winter season.

It took until the beginning of March to get the SE ridge to finally pop... 

GFS doesn't have a storm. If it does form, as the models have hinted, it looks surpressed.

What are you talking about???? Look at 00z GFS. Most of us including you get hit good. And the 384 hr GFS isnt "grasping at straws". Its TOTAL SNOWFALL for 384hrs. Model run after model run you are the most negative person ever.

• Like 1

What are you talking about???? Look at 00z GFS. Most of us including you get hit good. And the 384 hr GFS isnt "grasping at straws". Its TOTAL SNOWFALL for 384hrs. Model run after model run you are the most negative person ever.

I did and I understand. Maps have been showing that all winter in medium range with not much to show for in reality. It is what it is. If it happens then great if not I'll be ready for an exciting spring storm season. Sorry for my doom and gloom pessimism.

Past the Clipper -- the Euro matches up pretty well with the GFS for another snow event in the hour 186+ range. This would add on 50% to even doubling current snowfall for the winter for many areas.ecmwf_tsnow_mw_41.png

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Lets see what February can offer us. Still another week to go with this dull, frigid month. March can be stormy, but does not excite me that much because Spring is right around the corner. Higher sun angle, higher averages, longer days and etc. I will say this: up to March 10th is where I stop thinking winter and start thinking Spring. Anything after that is just a slopfest, as far as snowfall goes.

As far as the upcoming weekend storm, well, lets see how that unfolds. Hope it gives us a decent snowfall.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Anyone have snowfall map for 12z GFS? Next weekend looks interesting with a long duration event. Maybe some mixing issues though?

If this system materializes, it will probably be similar to Saturday's system that hit the southern Midwest.  Looks like a sheared wave.  Sky AO won't help and also this system looks like a frontal system that is near Japan.

If this system materializes, it will probably be similar to Saturday's system that hit the southern Midwest.  Looks like a sheared wave.  Sky AO won't help and also this system looks like a frontal system that is near Japan.

With those kind of totals around here, I don't care what kind of system it is. Lol

It's very nice to see the troughiness shifting to the west by the end of the month.  That will be much more interesting than the bone-dry northwest flow we've been stuck in forever.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

CPC outlook looks cold and snowy....

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610temp.new.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610prcp.new.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

things are starting to come in line-- 06Z Nam- will the trend E continue?? The ratios with this should be at least 15:1 to even 22:1 at the tail end. Tally Ho!!!-USA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_084.gif

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.