February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

I just noticed his tag was removed.  Perhaps that was the rationale--but that, too, is a longshot guess.  It could have been removed after he left.

Too bad.  He's clearly very good at what he does.

One of his first posts was requesting a met tag... I guess he has banned a few people from his "companies" Facebook page over the years because they disagreed with his bullish forecasts. People who are reasonable and active on nw weather Facebook pages. Maybe it is for the best.
  • Like 1

One of his first posts was requesting a met tag... I guess he has banned a few people from his "companies" Facebook page over the years because they disagreed with his bullish forecasts. People who are reasonable and active on nw weather Facebook pages. Maybe it is for the best.

It's definitely for the best.

• Like 1

I've lurked on these forums for years.  But I got sick of his "God complex" and outlandish forecasts and his refusal to accept the fact that he just doesn't understand how the weather works here.  It's why I came on.  I'll contribute to weather talk, no doubt about it.  Just nothing of interest at the moment.  

• Like 1

Guest Monty67

It must have been really surprising for environment Canada, who made no mention of snow for those areas in their forecasts until after it started snowing.  It was surprising to many of us that they hadn't even issued snowfall warnings this morning, and some places are already over 4" with 2"+/hr snowfall rates.

Unfortunately for me its looking like I am just a touch too far south, 38F with a heavy mix falling, surprisingly the SE winds made it into my location which is actually very rare, must be just enough of an easterly component to them today

The radar on the northeastern Olympic Peninsula is incredible! Lots of red and orange returns for the past few hours. They must be getting pounded with rain. On the other hand I have been in the rain shadow for most of this month so it has been relatively dry here.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I've lurked on these forums for years.  But I got sick of his "God complex" and outlandish forecasts and his refusal to accept the fact that he just doesn't understand how the weather works here.  It's why I came on.  I'll contribute to weather talk, no doubt about it.  Just nothing of interest at the moment.  

Why can't we let the man have his fun coloring weather maps? He didn't attempt any personal attacks this time, better than what could be said about half of our forum.

• Like 1

The radar on the northeastern Olympic Peninsula is incredible! Lots of red and orange returns for the past few hours. They must be getting pounded with rain. On the other hand I have been in the rain shadow for most of this month so it has been relatively dry here.

I actually called the NWS about this b/c the echos on the camano island radar didnt match with reports from that area and they said the beam was set higher and likely picking upon ice higher aloft thus the heavier echos

I actually called the NWS about this b/c the echos on the camano island radar didnt match with reports from that area and they said the beam was set higher and likely picking upon ice higher aloft thus the heavier echos

Thanks for looking into it. If it really had been raining that hard there probably would have been some terrible flash flooding, because usually radar of that intensity is more than an inch an hour. On the other hand, the squall line moving in from the ocean and discussed above does look intense.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Thanks for looking into it. If it really had been raining that hard there probably would have been some terrible flash flooding, because usually radar of that intensity is more than an inch an hour. On the other hand, the squall line moving in from the ocean and discussed above does look intense.

Yes it does.

Hoping it holds together as it moves inland over me.

no problem, I will say that band offshore of OS looks really impressive and would be nice if it held together as it moves inland, likely a lot of hail, lightning, thunder and definitely some VERY strong winds embedded in that line.

• Like 2

no problem, I will say that band offshore of OS looks really impressive and would be nice if it held together as it moves inland, likely a lot of hail, lightning, thunder and definitely some VERY strong winds embedded in that line.

I was working in Pacific Beach, just north of Ocean Shores around 4 and it had to be sustained 45 or so with gusts over 60 the whole time.  And very heavy rain.

• Like 1

Lol, why are you so worried? It is February. March might be an annoying month for you!

It just would have been nice to see a cold February overall. It was looking that way for awhile. Pretty much every day this week has overachieved temp wise.

I expect 50+ in March. At that point 60+ becomes annoying. :lol:

I need to move to Montana.