February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

What's your book about?

It is Si-fi. A teenage boy is dying of an unknown illness.  Aliens arrive and abduct humans and animals to train them in using the magical abilities to save Earth. The boy is one of them abducted. His illness is healed sort of. Turns out he has .... Well, that might be all to mention on here for now. There is going to be a thank you in the front for this weather forum. I had help with weather questions.

I've worked hard with editors getting everything right. To bad we couldn't edit the weather, at least one time. What an epic storm we could have. Although there might be some legal and financial repercussions. Some folks seem to be below freezing already. My temps are falling, but not as fast as I would like.

It is Si-fi. A teenage boy is dying of an unknown illness.  Aliens arrive and abduct humans and animals to train them in using the magical abilities to save Earth. The boy is one of them abducted. His illness is healed sort of. Turns out he has .... Well, that might be all to mention on here for now. There is going to be a thank you in the front for this weather forum. I had help with weather questions.

I've worked hard with editors getting everything right. To bad we couldn't edit the weather, at least one time. What an epic storm we could have. Although there might be some legal and financial repercussions. Some folks seem to be below freezing already. My temps are falling, but not as fast as I would like.

Sounds fun! I would love to read it. Down to 37 here now. It's falling with solid cloud cover so the air mass is cooling pretty fast.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sounds fun! I would love to read it. Down to 37 here now. It's falling with solid cloud cover so the air mass is cooling pretty fast.

Glad to hear your temperature is falling with a solid cloud cover. Mine is falling, I just want it cold enough for snow before the precip gets here and that isn't going to happen. I will let everyone on here know when my book is available. I still have to get the artwork done for the book cover. That has been a problem. The really good people are expensive. 

• Like 1

Seriously guys, can we trade temps? It's -7 here already tonight, and the winds haven't even died down like they were supposed to yet, so Radiational cooling hasn't even begun yet. I'm getting so tired of this cold :(

We'll gladly take some. We are supposed to get cold here over the next several days. Not as cold as what you have though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

31F with a dp of 26F here.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I love seeing snow fall with a north breeze.

For sure...it means it's snowing going into an event.

Looking like something may happen here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Going to be cold and windy in the outflow areas Tuesday night.  850mb temps are shown to be -16 at that time.  Looks like 30 or 40 mph winds here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Going to be cold and windy in the outflow areas Tuesday night.  850mb temps are shown to be -16 at that time.  Looks like 30 or 40 mph winds here.

http://itg1.meteor.wisc.edu/wxp_images/eta/eta_cpres_h60.gif

This will be colder than december in outflow places.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

We'll gladly take some. We are supposed to get cold here over the next several days. Not as cold as what you have though.

Be grateful for that. Getting really cold for a while is fun, but once it's non-stop, seems like temps drop to around or below 0 every night, it just starts to suck. And the cold has been pushing the big storms south over here.

00z GFS looks to me warmer than previous runs later on out to hour 120. Still fine it will be plenty cold just not as cold as some previous runs.  Now there real question... Where will that low go? Hopefully further south. :)

The coldest conditions were always supposed to be Wednesday night anyway. Not going to be any warmer than what has been discussed.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The coldest conditions were always supposed to be Wednesday night anyway. Not going to be any warmer than what has been discussed.

I should have clarified 850MB temps were warmer on Friday on... NO biggie still nice and chilly. Was not correlating it to your backyard temps.

The Canadian shows some offshore flow on Saturday. :lol:

No question it will still be very cold at the surface with cold air rushing out of the passes.  Going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is looking excellent at 7pm Saturday. All snow from PDX north. Low just stalls out in the Pacific, no warm winds.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_147_1000_500_thick.gif

Yeah I have been going through the runs and looks like it could be around 6 to10 hours of snow before it turns to freezing rain/ or just rain. So could see some decent accumulations. To bad it will not stick around for a few days afterward. 

The Canadian shows some offshore flow on Saturday. :lol:

No question it will still be very cold at the surface with cold air rushing out of the passes.  Going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds.

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/495_100.gif

Freezing rain after and some snow?

This is looking excellent at 7pm Saturday. All snow from PDX north. Low just stalls out in the Pacific, no warm winds.

Given how intensely cold it will be east of the Cascades those east winds will be very cold.  Could take the surface long time to warm.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

GFS and Canadian look very similar for the entire first 6 days.  Wednesday and Thursday nights should both be very cold as pressure gradients become very weak

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Regarding the low temps, keep in mind the wind will prevent the temps from reaching their potential.

True Tuesday night, but not Wednesday and Thursday.  The models show the gradients going pretty flat.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9