March 3th-7th Bowling Ball

Tom

Not really sure what the heck is happening right now. Sounds like trends are to not start snow until 3pm? Currently pouring snow and very windy. Wonder how much the precipitation not getting here unail late will affect totals. As was mentioned before, usually snow being delayed leads to amounts getting killed.

Not really sure what the heck is happening right now. Sounds like trends are to not start snow until 3pm? Currently pouring snow and very windy. Wonder how much the precipitation not getting here unail late will affect totals. As was mentioned before, usually snow being delayed leads to amounts getting killed.

Wind whipped snow here now as well. Coming down pretty good. Fresh coating on the ground.

It’s a total nowcast event. The models have no idea what’s going to happen. They haven’t seen a good bowling ball in years and it’s throwing them into chaos.

• Like 1

Update a few minutes ago:

The heaviest snow will occur this afternoon and

evening. In general snow totals between 6 and 9 inches are

expected across the warning area, with the highest snowfall

totals, near 12 inches, expected between Princeton and Little

Falls in central MN. Snow totals in the advisory are expected to

between 3 and 6 inches. In addition, northeast winds gusting to 45

mph will lead to some blowing and drifting snow. Given the

possibility of high snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour, we

anticipate very difficult travel across the area during the

afternoon and continuing through the evening commute.

Update a few minutes ago:

The heaviest snow will occur this afternoon and

evening. In general snow totals between 6 and 9 inches are

expected across the warning area, with the highest snowfall

totals, near 12 inches, expected between Princeton and Little

Falls in central MN. Snow totals in the advisory are expected to

between 3 and 6 inches. In addition, northeast winds gusting to 45

mph will lead to some blowing and drifting snow. Given the

possibility of high snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour, we

anticipate very difficult travel across the area during the

afternoon and continuing through the evening commute.

Was this not the AFD from earlier this morning?

Would love to be in Bismark, ND right about now...

Current conditions at Bismarck, Bismarck Municipal Airport (KBIS)Lat: 46.78°NLon: 100.76°WElev: 1677ft.
sn.png

Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy

23°F

-5°C

Humidity 96% Wind Speed NW 21 G 32 mph Barometer 29.68 in (1007.0 mb) Dewpoint 22°F (-6°C) Visibility 0.25 mi Wind Chill 8°F (-13°C) Last update 5 Mar 11:52 am CST

The second wave of precip has arrived, here.  The forecast called for 37 today, but we've been stuck just under 33 all day.  Perhaps that'll be good for a bit more snow later.

The 12z euro has added a blob of good snow along the Missouri river... and removed more from MSP.

ecmwf_acc_snow_mw_36.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The second wave of precip has arrived, here.  The forecast called for 37 today, but we've been stuck just under 33 all day.  Perhaps that'll be good for a bit more snow later.

The 12z euro has added a blob of good snow along the Missouri river... and removed more from MSP.

attachicon.gifecmwf_acc_snow_mw_36.png

Euro verbatim has 4" for the CR area, given crummy ratios, probably 2.5" to 3". That's the most out of guidance, and I'm not really expecting more other than an inch of slush at best, but I think rates will be pretty good for awhile, and maybe even a shot at some thunder? We shall see.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

NW Linn are you getting any snow? Radar scope shows snow for the north half of Linn county. I’ve got 33 in my car when I left for lunch on the SW side of CR.

Doesn't look like it, but I'm in CR right now, my house N of Hiawatha may be telling a different story, but I honestly doubt it.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Wind whipped snow here now as well. Coming down pretty good. Fresh coating on the ground.

It’s a total nowcast event. The models have no idea what’s going to happen. They haven’t seen a good bowling ball in years and it’s throwing them into chaos.

I'm not sure why this storm is called a bowling ball at this point. It cut hard from Colorado to the eastern Dakotas, then it does an about face, and drops back southeast before moving east. Definitely not like a bowling ball and one of the main reasons I'm sure the models are having a hard time is due to it's movement. Back in the day, a good bowling ball system meant coming out of Colorado, heads straight east, and is normally a good hit for almost everyone on this forum.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why this storm is called a bowling ball at this point. It cut hard from Colorado to the eastern Dakotas, then it does an about face, and drops back southeast before moving east. Definitely not like a bowling ball and one of the main reasons I'm sure the models are having a hard time is due to it's movement. Back in the day, a good bowling ball system meant coming out of Colorado, heads straight east, and is normally a good hit for almost everyone on this forum.

Yeah, this storm is... something. Not exactly sure haha. Model chaos track.

• Like 1

It’s a bowling ball on bumper lanes. I get what you’re saying though.

• Like 2

Mesoscale discussion for the TC, Rochester and St Cloud:

Mesoscale Discussion 0109

NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK

0117 PM CST Mon Mar 05 2018

Areas affected...Minnesota...Western Wisconsin and Northeast Iowa

Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 051917Z - 052345Z

SUMMARY...Areas of heavy snowfall will continue to develop across

parts of west-central, south-central and southeastern Minnesota over

the next couple of hours. Snowfall rates of 1 inch per hour will be

possible within the more intense bands this afternoon.

DISCUSSION...The latest surface analysis shows a 1001 mb low over

far northwestern Iowa with backed easterly winds across much of the

upper Mississippi Valley. Surface temperatures are below freezing

across west-central Minnesota where heavy snow is already being

reported. The band of moderate to heavy precipitation extends

southeastward across southern Minnesota and northeast Iowa where

surface temperatures are just above freezing. The band of

precipitation is being supported by a 50 to 70 kt low-level jet

oriented from southeast to northwest across the MD area. As the band

of precipitation moves northward into south-central and southeastern

Minnesota, surface dewpoints in the lower to mid 20s F should allow

for the temperature to drop to freezing due to dynamic cooling. This

along with strong isentropic ascent should result in the development

of moderate to heavy snowfall this afternoon. Snowfall rates are

expected to reach 1 inch per hour within the heaviest portions of

the band.

The weather is pretty interesting, here.  At 1pm, pea-size hail poured down for a couple minutes.  Now, because the temp hasn't gone anywhere today, our trees are covered in a glaze of ice and frozen droplets.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Would love to be in Bismark, ND right about now...

Current conditions at Bismarck, Bismarck Municipal Airport (KBIS) Lat: 46.78°NLon: 100.76°WElev: 1677ft.
sn.png

Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy

23°F

-5°C

Humidity 96% Wind Speed NW 21 G 32 mph Barometer 29.68 in (1007.0 mb) Dewpoint 22°F (-6°C) Visibility 0.25 mi Wind Chill 8°F (-13°C) Last update 5 Mar 11:52 am CST

Road trip??  :lol:

It’s a bowling ball on bumper lanes. I get what you’re saying though.

Yeah, In order of frequency:

1) Cutter

2) Clipper

3) Bowling Ball

4) Zig-zagger

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Snowflakes are now beginning to mix in.  Radar shows the convective returns now fading into more snow-like returns around Cedar Rapids and points west and north.

I've picked up 0.90" of precip so far.