March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Also, definite UHI influence there with the March stats at PDX. 

19 of 49 years hit 27 or lower, until 1989...about once every 2-3 years. 

It will be interesting to see what OLM can muster with this. The last impressive March low there was 20 on 3/10/2009.

They've gotten below 15 a few times the first week of March: 1989, 1960, and 1955.

A forum for the end of the world.

So  March 1875 was a pretty weird month. The high temperature was only 55 in Portland, a record low max for March. The low however was only 34! That 21 degree range is also the smallest on record for a month in Portland.

This was wedged in between two of the most impressive cold events on record locally (mid January and early April 1875).

• Like 1

My son and I were just sitting on the deck and it felt very warm... even though the backyard is covered in snow still.     And even though we personally experienced many days in the low 80s in the last month.  

Did your son remove his jacket while you sipped a marg?

A forum for the end of the world.

I’ve noticed a couple in sheltered spots around town down here the last few days or so as well. Hardy little sh*ts.

I was a little surprised but they were in a warm southern exposure.

Side note. I noticed parts of Shawnigan Lake are still frozen over. Mainly the west arm and smaller bays.

• Like 2

Lack of duration of snow on the ground, longest duration was only 4 days. My curve, my opinion!

Yeah....the interior was a lot colder and snow lasted a lot longer.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yea, he inched it up a couple degrees but still 2-3 degrees cooler than Zaffinao and Hill.  I think Mark saw the colder temps in the basin and stronger east winds than the GFS lover mets saw. 

Central WA is impressively cold for this time of year.  I noticed they had temps in the 20s at 5pm in most places.  Downright cold for this time of year!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Had a low of 28 and a high of 45.

Now things get colder...yet again.  It will be pretty interesting to see how cold it actually ends up being.  This is a legit cold air mass heading our way with thickness dropping to about 519 with 850s dropping to the -8 to -10 range.  Could be good enough to see some teens in favored areas.  With high temps the sun is going to have quite a bit of power, but wind and CAA at the lower and mid levels is going to have a say also.

On another note I'm very impressed how the DPs have managed to stay so low over the past couple of days without any real reinforcement of continental air.  Pretty rare for this area and testament to how well entrenched the chilly continental air mass really is.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would rank this winter at a B-. The December windstorm, the 3 days straight of continuous rainfall at the end of December, and of course the big February festivities were great! January was god awful, first part of Dec was dull...and November for that matter.

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I would rank this winter at a B-. The December windstorm, the 3 days straight of continuous rainfall at the end of December, and of course the big February festivities were great! January was god awful, first part of Dec was dull...and November for that matter.

Exactly why personal perception is important, if I got what you got here, A+ all the way, but alas....

Still 7.5 inches of snow on the ground imby. Longest I've ever had total snow cover ever.

Last month was just truly epic for some places.  Even with the more powerful February sun some places had snow cover last longer than Dec 2008.  This also shows why I really like mid and even late winter events.  They are usually a better bet for snow than the early cold snaps.  What you're seeing is like living in a much colder part of the country.  Pretty awesome!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I get what you're saying, but February being so epic is worth a full letter grade bonus.  In a few years we aren't going to remember the dull part of the winter anyway.  We also still have potential for snow this month as well.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have to give it an A for 3 reasons. The thunder snow and 3.2 inches in 1 hr was incredible. A max depth of 27 inches is pretty impressive. And getting 24 inches in 33hrs in insane.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I have to give it an A for 3 reasons. The thunder snow and 3.2 inches in 1 hr was incredible. A max depth of 27 inches is pretty impressive. And getting 24 inches in 33hrs in insane.

No doubt in your back yard it was one for the ages.  As for MBY I wish the huge event would have been snow instead of the wintry / nasty mix that I had.  Just a few miles north and a few miles east of here that event dropped over a foot.  As it is it was still very impressive here and there were many points that I really enjoyed.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I get what you're saying, but February being so epic is worth a full letter grade bonus. In a few years we aren't going to remember the dull part of the winter anyway. We also still have potential for snow this month as well.

Yeah depending on how this month goes I.m might be able to upgrade to a B or B+. My only gripe with last month was that we were so close to getting absolutely buried. 22” for the month is great but wow the potential was there to have widespread Snowmizer/Tim amounts of snow! Also the scud clouds or breezes prevented single digits at my place. 13 was the lowest recorded. The longevity of the cold really made this very historic however!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looking back I'd have to say it was the most exciting few weeks on the forum since in joined in 2009.

If we can stay from a Nino next winter could be an encore performance.  For some reason big Februaries have a huge tendency to lead to greatness the next season.  The atmosphere often seems to exhibit a "memory" of the late winter patterns going into the next one.  I will have much more on this later.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No doubt in your back yard it was one for the ages.  As for MBY I wish the huge event would have been snow instead of the wintry / nasty mix that I had.  Just a few miles north and a few miles east of here that event dropped over a foot.  As it is it was still very impressive here and there were many points that I really enjoyed.

It's ashame we couldn't get a big juicy sub tropical low passing in the sweet spot with all the cold air we've had over us and near us. It used to happen all the time and it just stopped and I'm talking the kind that hits everyone in western wa. It was almost a guarantee we would come out of an arctic mass of air with an overrunning event in the old days.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It will be interesting to see what OLM can muster with this. The last impressive March low there was 20 on 3/10/2009.

They've gotten below 15 a few times the first week of March: 1989, 1960, and 1955.

I still can't believe they hit 5 in late Feb. of 2011. That was insane. 

Yeah depending on how this month goes I.m might be able to upgrade to a B or B+. My only gripe with last month was that we were so close to getting absolutely buried. 22” for the month is great but wow the potential was there to have widespread Snowmizer/Tim amounts of snow! Also the scud clouds or breezes prevented single digits at my place. 13 was the lowest recorded. The longevity of the cold really made this very historic however!

I made 13 here also.  That was probably the most incredible morning since I've lived here.  Crystal clear and heavy snow cover on everything.  There is no doubt if the atmosphere had been about 2 degrees colder during the huge event many of us would have had surreal amounts of snow.  During the period that North Bend got buried I had a mix the entire time after a little bit a straight snow at the beginning.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9