July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Second half of April here was almost all sun here. Sounds like yet another microclimate problem.

Also Tim, you asked about the German ensemble site. Here it is: https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=135728&model=gfs&var=5&run=12&lid=ENS&bw=

Yep. Most days in Seattle the second half of April were also partly or mostly sunny, with measurable rain on just 4 days after the 16th.

A forum for the end of the world.

I feel bad piling on, but yes, this is Tim when he’s not sedated by ridging 24/7. Just a few weeks of warm season troughing and he’s back in old form.

This is all orchestrated.    

Its been far more cloudy than normal.   That is just a fact and has been discussed because its the weather that has been happening recently.

All the rest is people focused on my perceptions.   You live for this crap.   You will never meet me in the middle.    I have perfectly reasonable expectations for my climate.   I know its cloudier and rains way more than other places.    I am not expecting hot and sunny and dry.   I also don't expect it be cloudy 90% of the time in the summer.    Neither are normal in the summer.  

But this will never end.   Its the constant drumbeat that I should expect rain and clouds every single day here and if I expect any sun or dry weather then its unreasonable.     Its stupid.   Just like our current political environment.    So extreme.    The other side has to be the enemy.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cute. The second half of July 2001 was wall to wall actually chilly cloudcover up there....

Not really.     The summer of 2001 looks way better than 2019 so far... even with some rain in the second half of July.

2001-2.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yes, spring 2019 did have one wet two week period, and shocker...it was wetter in your area than anywhere else.

But overall for the region? A very dry and sunny spring.

There was nothing shocking about April.... particularly after February and March.    As I have said.   

It was a sunny, dry spring overall here as well.  

There was nothing shocking about April.... particularly after February and March.

As I have said.   

It was a sunny, dry spring overall here as well.

If there was nothing shocking about those two wet weeks in April, why bother complaining about them?

• Like 1

One thing that Matt has right is that trying to go toe to toe with Tim on this stuff, actually trying to overwhelm his stamina regarding petty bullsh*t, is a fools errand. No one ever will. Nobody else has the time or even the desire. The guy seems to have the ability to sit and post all day every day if he so chooses. And endless energy and creativity to constantly come up with new angles to justify his mania. It’s impressive, in a way.

• Like 1

Anyways... its been unusually cloudy in this area for the past month.

That is all.    Simple as that.  

I don't like it... but nature balances things out and sometimes the timing sucks.   Oh well.  

That is all.    Simple as that.  

I don't like it... but nature balances things out and sometimes the timing sucks.   Oh well.

Nature does balance things out. In fact, it’ll probably balance out the entire 2013-19 warm period.

• Like 2

Nice to see the pleasant summer continuing. :)

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Nature does balance things out. In fact, it’ll probably balance out the entire 2013-19 warm period.

Hopefully the 2014-17 wet period too.

Long way to go on that up here.

Cool and dry sounds lovely.

Not really.     The summer of 2001 looks way better than 2019 so far... even with some rain in the second half of July.

2001-2.png

Looks like it was a cooler and wetter than average meteorological summer. Lots of pleasant weather, though!

The numbers bear out that it has been mild and roughly average for precipitation so far during meteorological summer. Lots of pleasant weather, though!

One thing that Matt has right is that trying to go toe to toe with Tim on this stuff, actually trying to overwhelm his stamina regarding petty bullsh*t, is a fools errand. No one ever will. Nobody else has the time or even the desire. The guy seems to have the ability to sit and post all day every day if he so chooses. And endless energy and creativity to constantly come up with new angles to justify his mania. It’s impressive, in a way.

Yeah, it's certainly exhausting in the bigger picture but from time to time it's fun to take him to task on this crap. Keeps this place going, honestly.

• Like 2

That is all. Simple as that.

I don't like it... but nature balances things out and sometimes the timing sucks. Oh well.

Yeah, mother nature will always balance itself out in the long run. It became apparent this past winter. And it still isn't finished. One of the reasons why I'm really bullish for those of you in Washington County this winter. Your turn is coming.

Yeah, it's certainly exhausting in the bigger picture but from time to time it's fun to take him to task on this crap. Keeps this place going, honestly.

I agree. And he is always asking for it. The "why is everyone focusing on me?!?! :( " crap rings a little hollow coming from someone who seems to go out of their way on a daily basis to make sure their presence absolutely overwhelms this place.

Taking me to task?

Are you proving that 10% sun is closer to normal than 90% sun last July. Both are very unusual here.

But balance out to normal!

I would like to stay closer to 50% though.

Seems reasonable.

Taking me to task?

Are you proving that 10% sun is closer to normal than 90% sun last July. Both are very unusual here.

But balance out to normal!

I would like to stay closer to 50% though. Reasonable.

I'll take words you would never find by "TT-SEA"  in a thesaurus for $1,000, Alex

SEA is still close to 30 inches above normal since 2014.

Conveniently excluding the drier than average 2013? ;)

SEA would still be above average, yes... but it doesn’t represent the entire area either, as the Portland example suggests. Places farther south would be similar if not drier.

I think we should all meet up with Phil during his visit to Everett and discuss/debate this season’s weather! How fun would that be!

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I'll take words you would never find by "TT-SEA" in a thesaurus for $1,000, Alex

Actually my expectations are very reasonable. You just like to pretend otherwise.

Like the Oct-Dec period last year. Perfectly normal in terms of rain and days with rain. Literally right on the nose for my area. No complaints from me at all. I know what is normal here. I thought that period was actually quite nice.

Conveniently excluding the drier than average 2013? ;)

SEA would still be above average, yes... but it doesn’t represent the entire area either, as the Portland example suggests. Places farther south would be similar if not drier.

I said 2014-17.

I certainly don't have time for it most days. But when I do, my aim is never to change his mind or overwhelm him. I like to call his BS for the benefit of other posters here and my own satisfaction, mainly.  :D

A forum for the end of the world.

I certainly don't have time for it most days. But when I do, my aim is never to change his mind or overwhelm him. I like to call his BS for the benefit of other posters here and my own satisfaction, mainly. :D

Flatironing!

My overriding goal is to always keep my expectations in line for my location.

Its not always cloudy and/or raining here. That happens on average about 50% of the days.

I do get a little annoyed when it veers too far in the wrong direction though. Oh well... bound to happen. ;)

BREAKING NEWS

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

OLM is less than 10” above average using 2013 to date data.

BLM is less than 15” above average using 2013 to date data.

Down in Southern Oregon, Roseburg is over 40” below average for the 2013-date period. That is HUGE considering they get less precip than even PDX. Well over a year’s deficit.

In the southern reaches of the PNW:

Medford is about 7” below average.

Ashland is about 10” below average.

Klamath Falls is 28” below average - absolutely huge considering how much precipitation they normally get. That is well over a year’s deficit for them.

Yreka is about 18” below average - it’s missing a couple days here and there, but not too many of them. Almost a year’s deficit ignoring the missed days.

Mount Shasta City is 55” below average. Roughly a year’s deficit.

I can go on. But your little band of Puget Sound being wet does not equate to the entire region being wet.

I think we should all meet up with Phil during his visit to Everett and discuss/debate this season’s weather! How fun would that be!

I’d be game.