July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

For the lols, you should find a newspaper from about ten years ago, drive up to Steven's Pass, and snap a pic.

Touché. :lol:

Another 70yr old neighbor that has lived in the PNW his entire life yet despises clouds as much as you and agrees with everything you say? You sure have a lot of those in your neighborhood. ;)

IIRC you said something like this in 2016 (IE: the last summer that wasn’t historically hot/ridgy 24/7).

Did I even say anything about his opinion?? He did not say anything about whether he liked it or not... he was just telling me that this is the cloudiest July he can remember as he walked by with his dog.  Then the conversation turned toward my son driving too fast on our road.  <_>

And he has to be close to correct because we have had almost no sun at all. By definition... there cannot be less than no sun. So this is probably the cloudiest July he has ever seen.

Seattle has been cloudy 80% of the time... its has to be over 90% here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Kind of puts this July into perspective with the last few. Lowest morning low here in over a week at 56 degrees.

Based on historical data... Seattle is cloudy on average just 35% of the time in July.   Its the sunniest month of the year.  So 80% is very unusual.   This has been an extremely cloudy July for this area.   About as cloudy as it can possibly be actually.

The implication is that this is perfectly normal and I just want record breaking heat.  But this far from normal even here.   One extreme or the other it seems.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... but none of that applies tonight with a large system moving through and wind and rain. All of that essentially nullifies UHI.

And there is an actual front moving southward as well.

if that were the case it would not have gotten warmer again as you get up towards Bellingham and Vancouver.

if that were the case it would not have gotten warmer again as you get up towards Bellingham and Vancouver.

Not true... the coolest temps were right under the front.   And the warmest temps were just ahead of the front from Westport to Stevens Pass.

I completely understand that on a clear night after sunset... its going to be cooler in the rural areas.   That happens all the time.   I am just saying that last night was unrelated to UHI.  The 71-degree reading in Westport and 64 degrees near Shelton was a good indication of that (both places were ahead of the front).   Clearly a front moved through last night... the dewpoints are much lower this morning.  

Maple tree is already beginning to turn. Pics once I get out of bed.

That's a sign of stress when a tree starts dropping leaves this early in the season. It it's newly-planted that means you should be watering it more. If it's well-established, it means it's probably somehow injured or diseased. There's no reason a healthy, well-established tree should be stressed right now, given how moist summer has been so far.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

That's a sign of stress when a tree starts dropping leaves this early in the season. It it's newly-planted that means you should be watering it more. If it's well-established, it means it's probably somehow injured or diseased. There's no reason a healthy, well-established tree should be stressed right now, given how moist summer has been so far.

It's a very established nearly 40 foot tall maple tree and is not diseased. Pics coming now.

.43” in the last 24hrs. Currently 53 degrees, cloudy and dark. UVI 0 and light index (W/M2) 39.0.

October!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Based on historical data... Seattle is cloudy on average just 35% of the time in July.   Its the sunniest month of the year.  So 80% is very unusual.   This has been an extremely cloudy July for this area.   About as cloudy as it can possibly be actually.

The implication is that this is perfectly normal and I just want record breaking heat.  But this far from normal even here.   One extreme or the other it seems.   

I doubt that, at least certainly not using the same methodology as the NWS posted there, because there's no way the last five Julys were all cloudier than average at SEA.

• Like 1

Going to be a long wait till next summer. Fall is already here.

We really were robbed of any nice weather this year. It's been slugville cloud crammed crap-in-pants type weather for months and months and I have unluckily managed to drive to spots without any sun on every single day!

I doubt that, at least certainly not using the same methodology as the NWS posted there, because there's no way the last five Julys were all cloudier than average at SEA.

Maybe not... but it has been close to as cloudy as physically possible here. It can't get much worse. No sun at all is the lowest it can go and we are almost there.

Did I even say anything about his opinion?? He did not say anything about whether he liked it or not... he was just telling me that this is the cloudiest July he can remember as he walked by with his dog.  Then the conversation turned toward my son driving too fast on our road.  <_>

And he has to be close to correct because we have had almost no sun at all. By definition... there cannot be less than no sun. So this is probably the cloudiest July he has ever seen.

Seattle has been cloudy 80% of the time... its has to be over 90% here.

Those numbers seem to be overstated for SEA. Looking at past months, no warm season month from the past 3 summers had less than 40% cloud cover - we're talking about several very dry, sunny months in there. Last month supposedly had 70% cloud cover. May supposedly had 60% cloud cover. I can only conclude even very thin, high cirrus is categorized as "cloudy" by their definition. Anything that even slightly reduces UV radiation.

Regardless, I wouldn't take those percentages at face value for the amount of "cloudiness".

A forum for the end of the world.

We really were robbed of any nice weather this year. It's been slugville cloud crammed crap-in-pants type weather for months and months and I have unluckily managed to drive to spots without any sun on every single day!

At least 100 slugs in my grass this morning!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I, for one, am loving this more normal summer at my location.

It has been much better down there in terms of sun.    I would not have much of a problem with the summer so far in your area.

Maybe not... but it has been close to as cloudy as physically possible here. It can't get much worse. No sun at all is the lowest it can go and we are almost there.

It’s been a normal summer up there. This is just how you act when we get a normal summer.

It’s been a normal summer up there.

In terms of temperatures (thanks to warrmer than normal nights) and total rainfall... not in terms of sun.    Not even close actually.       

Cloudy and 61F this morning.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

There was actually a full on atmospheric river in mid July 1972. Forks recorded over 5" in one day and Tim's backyard got swamped!

Historic perspective is always a good thing.

Yeah... on 7/12/1972 there was 1.16 inches of rain here.

And then it was dry and in the upper 70s and low to mid 80s for the rest of the month and did not rain again until 8/13.   Historical perspective is a good thing.  

Give me some of that 1972 summer weather!  

In terms of temperatures (thanks to warrmer than normal nights) and total rainfall... not in terms of sun.    Not even close actually.       

If you're only looking at the past two weeks. That's not the whole summer. And you don't have comparable sunshine stats to compare to, since the SEA ones are obviously skewed towards "cloudier" than reality.

A forum for the end of the world.

In terms of temperatures (thanks to warrmer than normal nights) and total rainfall... not in terms of sun. Not even close actually.

Where do you check reliable cloud cover records for your location. Just go with your gut?

Probably a good chance May and June were pretty sunny up there compared to “normal” too.

If you're only looking at the past two weeks. That's not the whole summer. And you don't have comparable sunshine stats to compare to, since the SEA ones are obviously skewed towards "cloudier" than reality.

I know it can't get much more cloudy than it has been since 6/18.   No need to base it on any historical reference... just based on the physical reality that it can't get much more cloudy than it has been because it has been cloudy for the vast majority of the time.   

Where do you check reliable cloud cover records for your location. Just go with your gut?

Probably a good chance May and June were pretty sunny up there compared to “norma” too.

May was definitely sunny overall.    June probably averaged close to normal because the first half was sunny and the last 2 weeks were generally cloudy.

The last month has been the crappy part... which sucks because its the heart of summer.   Sh*t happens.

As someone who lives in the same micro-climate, I really don't think it's been too bad. The huckleberry and salmon berry seasons have been far longer than the last few years and the berries taste far better. With this precipitation, I bet blackberry season will be FAR better than the last few years too. The lake is fuller than it has been in July the last few years. The grass is green, the plants are happy, and my water bill is subsequently lower. With cooler weather, the busy spots of the valley have been noticeably less busy. I've rarely had to lather up my 2-year old with sunscreen. Local outdoor activities, like riding down the SVT, hiking the middle fork, or mountain biking, are largely uninterrupted by clouds. And the nights have been pleasantly warm (but not hot), in part due to the cloud cover.

Myself, my wife, and most of my friends grew up in WA and we've all noted that this summer brings back fond memories of the summers of our childhood. It's just...comfortable out. Not hot but not cold either. Yes it's been cloudier than usual out here but the next week looks like classic late-July sunny PNW.

You must be a local.

• Like 1

Based on historical data... Seattle is cloudy on average just 35% of the time in July. Its the sunniest month of the year. So 80% is very unusual. This has been an extremely cloudy July for this area. About as cloudy as it can possibly be actually.

The implication is that this is perfectly normal and I just want record breaking heat. But this far from normal even here. One extreme or the other it seems.

If true, then based on NWS’s tweet, the last five Julys were all cloudier than average?

Give me a break.

• Like 1

Yeah... on 7/12/1972 there was 1.16 inches of rain here.

And then it was dry and in the upper 70s and low to mid 80s for the rest of the month and did not rain again until 8/13.   Historical perspective is a good thing.  

Give me some of that 1972 summer weather!  

Not sure why you use the Snoqualmie Falls station when you are way higher elevation. Palmer recorded 3.5" on that day and Cedar Lake had 3.28". Those Nixonite Rattlesnake Ridgers would have been soaked to the bone with that kind of orographic nastiness! Definitely a significant jet extension there.

What are you basing the normal off of?

Are you seriously saying that its normally cloudy here 90-100% of the time in the summer.   :lol:

You can go through the visible satellite loops for every hour for the entire summer for years like 2008, 2010, and 2011.   All of which had significantly more sun than the last month here.

It is what it is.   Some people might prefer to never see the sun and this makes them happy.   Does not mean its normal.   

Not sure why some people feel the need to argue with the fact it's been a very cloudy July in the Seattle area.

Regardless of temps or rainfall stats, it's been very cloudy. That's a foregone conclusion.

Cloudy = does not feel like summer to a lot of people. Maybe not to some weather weenies on here who like clouds and rain and wind and all that 365 days of the year, but most would agree with that statement.

Not rocket science here.

No ones saying it hasn’t been cloudy. But clouds are more normal around in the summer than you are making them out to be, regardless if they fit your subjective definition of summery weather. Recent summers with blazing sunshine every day and almost zero cloud cover is way more abnormal than anything we have seen this year.