July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

This is the deepest point of the trough.

I just want to get you on record saying that is a laughably impossible pattern for July.

20190716-225108.jpg

Not the pattern. The pattern progression.

Still room for it to trend cooler. :) I’m negotiating with Mother Nature right now, ready to accept a swampy September in exchange for a super duper PNW vortex starting 8/1.

The aggregate of convectuve forcing will become EHEM centered with time, so there’s a chance that troughing comes back sooner than we think!

Early August history is infamous for strong vortex events impacting Washington state. Why don’t you come back in November?

63 and mostly clear here. Breezy evening. Also still no power here Tacoma power says 1500 people have no power here in North Tacoma. Has been off for 2 hours.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Phil spends all this time cheering for a trough for the 3 days that he is in Everett.

Meanwhile... Everett is usually around 72 degrees under a trough in late July and maybe 80 under a ridge. With dewpoints in the 40s or 50s either way.

The implications are obviously huge!

You mean alleged time in Everett.

00Z ECMWF takes a slightly different path with the ULL going by to the north on Wednesday... but still gets to a nice ridge just in time for Phil's arrival...

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Here comes the blast furnace. Last week of July and the first week of August often feel to me like the hottest 2 weeks of the year.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Cloudy and 60F in downtown Springfield.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

61 and cloudy here this morning in Tacoma. No rainfall to speak of and probably will be less than here with westerly flow. Low of 60 this morning.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Here comes the blast furnace. Last week of July and the first week of August often feel to me like the hottest 2 weeks of the year.

For Springfield, the hottest day of the year on average is August 4. Also the clearest day of the year is August 3.

https://weatherspark.com/y/413/Average-Weather-in-Springfield-Oregon-United-States-Year-Round

Dark, breezy, and damp out there. Certainly doesn't feel like summer.

Good thing this weekend still looks gorgeous! 

No doubt.

Best thing about today is that we are getting this crap over with now.   The weekend cannot come soon enough.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Has been drizzling/sprinkling for about an hour but not adding up to anything. Pretty breezy here as well. We went from 68 and rainy on Monday to 77 and mostly sunny yesterday now back to mid 60s and drizzle today.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Once again... the point is not the temperature anomalies or even the total rainfall.

Its that there has been just 4 days in July that have been mostly sunny even in Seattle... 4 out of 17 days.   That is also a reason for the warm anomalies.   That sucks for July... and improvement is almost inevitable at this point.  

Once again... the point is not the temperature anomalies or even the total rainfall.

Its that there has been just 4 days in July that have been mostly sunny even in Seattle... 4 out of 17 days. That is also a reason for the warm anomalies. That sucks for July... and improvement is almost inevitable at this point.

it’s been a 71/57 average so far here. Theme has been warm nights and average days. We’ve had 4 60+ low temps but have also only had 5 75+ days with no 80+ days. Like you said it’s been cloudy as well last weekend was the nicest sunniest stretch of weather this month. I’m pretty sure we’re in for some clearer warmer summer days soon.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The Cedar Lake station is already at 125% of normal rainfall for all of July through mid-month (2.63 inches)... and it has rained out here on 11 out of 17 days this month.    And a couple other days had non-measurable drizzle/mist.

A wet July is not really surprising though... since has been quite dry overall this year.     Unfortunately... it has come so slowly and on so many days.    

It is lush green and very wet out here which is actually a little unusual for mid-July.   No sign of any drought. 

Today reminds me of mid October. Bands of rain and gusty winds with temps in the 50’s. Feels like we should be picking out pumpkins!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

SEA is at 80% cloud cover for July so far.

That is actually worse than the November average.   

A lot of high cloud coverage in there, though. Yesterday had 70% cloud coverage according to official stats, yet was an 80 degree day with plenty of sunshine.

A lot more low clouds in November.

A forum for the end of the world.

Despite all your whining, the timing has been pretty good for weekend weather this summer.

That has helped.... but the long 4th of July weekend was pretty ugly.    There was just enough clearing close to the water on the 4th that we were able to get out on the boat on Lake Sammamish.    The dark clouds hovered just to the east of the lake.   :)

A lot of high cloud coverage in there, though. Yesterday had 70% cloud coverage according to official stats, yet was an 80 degree day with plenty of sunshine.

A lot more low clouds in November.

Regardless... it has been a very cloudy July.

I went through the visible satellite loops for July of 2008, 2010, and 2011 and all of them were quite a bit more sunny to this point in the month even in my area and those were cloudy months as well.  

FWIW... the 12Z GFS ensemble mean is less aggressive with the break down of the ridge next week compared to the operational run.

Here is the 12Z GFS operational run for next Thursday:

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_35.png

And here is the 12Z GFS ensemble mean map at the same time:

gfs-namer-z500-barbs-4099200.png