July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

FWIW... the 12Z GFS ensemble mean is less aggressive with the break down of the ridge next week compared to the operational run.

Here is the 12Z GFS operational run for next Thursday:

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_35.png

And here is the 12Z GFS ensemble mean map at the same time:

gfs-namer-z500-barbs-4099200.png

Quite a bit of spread in the ensemble and the operational is one of the most aggressive with the trough. Long range seems to have 2 fairly distinct camps. One hot and one not.

Whether the stats support it or not, this July has not really felt like summer. The overall cloudiness and lack of a distinct heatwave has not lead to a summer-y feel.

It's actually been a frequent conversation among coworkers in each of the four businesses I work with.

Yeah, especially after May/June being so warm, and the last several July's being exceptionally warm and sunny for the most part as well. This July feels more similar to a typical July in southern England than one here.

Whether the stats support it or not, this July has not really felt like summer. The overall cloudiness and lack of a distinct heatwave has not lead to a summer-y feel.

It's actually been a frequent conversation among coworkers in each of the four businesses I work with.

No doubt, it's been cloudier than normal, with cooler highs than normal.

Also undoubtedly, the unusual warmth/sunniness of the past 6 summers has created a greater contrast with this July so far.

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

I was just looking at some stats and PDX currently has had only 1 clear day so far in July. However all the other stations around them have had more. Aurora and Hillsboro have had 4. McMinnville, Scappoose, Troutdale and Vancouver all have had 5 so far.

I believe the PDX station reports too cloudy.

• Like 1

76F and clouds burning off and what looks to be another beautiful sunny day for the south valley.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yeah, especially after May/June being so warm, and the last several July's being exceptionally warm and sunny for the most part as well. This July feels more similar to a typical July in southern England than one here.

True, and March was also sunnier than normal. Only 50% cloud cover that month at SEA.

Back from Japan and the weather here is glorious. I'm loving it!

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Despite all your whining, the timing has been pretty good for weekend weather this summer.

Uh try again....

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/wsdot-our-kingdom-for-two-dry-weekends-as-us-2-project-washes-out-for-12th-time

Edit: i do believe Seattle south has had much drier/sunnier weekend weather than the location they are talking about in the article as Seattle north has been much cloudier/rainier overall.

I guess the downside to having a cooler July is that every time we get 90+ here my house without AC will feel a lot hotter than in years where I would shrug this off. lol

On that note I hope the hottest parts of this summer come with a bit of wet t'storm action.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Uh try again....

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/wsdot-our-kingdom-for-two-dry-weekends-as-us-2-project-washes-out-for-12th-time

Edit: i do believe Seattle south has had much drier/sunnier weekend weather than the location they are talking about in the article as Seattle north has been much cloudier/rainier overall.

SEA has only had measurable precip on like 1 of the past 10 weekends...looked it up a couple days ago.

Guest CulverJosh

Hot weather sucks. Why do you want to struggle getting to sleep and/or paying a ton for electricity to stay cool?? Same stupidity as rooting for wind that topples trees and causes power outages.

• Like 1

The whining over this summer has been pretty ridiculous....

Yeah... from your perspective in your area.    Try to see it from other people's perspective like I have been doing.  

We have seen a cumulative total of about 3.5 days of sun here this month in 17 days.   Say what you want about this microclimate... but this is not even close to normal for July here.     And the last 2 weeks of June were cloudy as well.    Its been seriously depressing in terms of persistence considering its the middle of summer. 

As if its perfectly normal for 90% of the days in the summer here to be cloudy and/or wet.  Its not.

Different perspectives.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I have a coworker who just got back yesterday from being on Whidbey Island for 5 days. Said the weather was great overall, 70s to low 80s, perfect for the summer activities they did.

Friday - Sunday were nice enough... and I think it was decent up there on Monday while it was raining down here.   They got lucky with their timing.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We have daylight here.

Sure it’s light...about as light as a wet crappy day at about 3:45pm in early December.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Given how anomalously hot/ridgy the last 6 summers have been, this “cloudy” July is just a tiny drop in the bucket.

The universe is a balancing act. Note the prominence of spheres and circles throughout the cosmos. Positive/negative, light/dark, yin/yang, the conservation of energy, every-action-has-an-equal-and-opposite-reaction, the cycle of life, etc.

You guys might be paying for those 6 years of torching for quite awhile. Tim should get out now, before the multiyear niña in the early 2020s sends glaciers into his backyard.

• Like 1

Sure it’s light...about as light as a wet crappy day at about 3:45pm in early December.

Just a typical mid-July day at SEA...   :rolleyes:

518vc00252.jpg

Given how anomalously hot/ridgy the last 6 summers have been, this “cloudy” July is just a tiny drop in the bucket.

The universe is a balancing act. Note the prominence of spheres and circles throughout the cosmos. Positive/negative, light/dark, yin/yang, the conservation of energy, every-action-has-an-equal-and-opposite-reaction, the cycle of life, etc.

You guys might be paying for those 6 years of torching for quite awhile. Tim should get out now, before the multiyear niña in the early 2020s sends glaciers into his backyard.

Constant trolling from the peanut gallery.

Sounds like there was decent summer weather quite recently.

No heatwaves, though. :(

Did I not sing the praises of the weather over this past weekend enough for you?     Pretty sure I was raving about our short window of nice weather.

I don't need any heat waves... although one would be nice for reasons that I have mentioned several times.